Choosing the best Substrate or Bedding for a Beared Dragon can be quite tricky. There are so many options that you can go with.
This article will explore a few and look at some of the best available Bedding and Substrates for your Beraed Dragon.
Bearded Dragon Substrate and Bedding
To be more accurate, Bedding for Bearded Dragons is actually the Substrate or materials you use on the Bearded Dragon’s cage floor.
The Best Substrate is a controversial subject for the Bearded Dragon Community, as everyone has a personal preference for many good reasons.
How much time you have for maintenance and your personal preference will be the two most contributing factors in your final decision.
When you invest in the right Bedding or Substrate, add a few plants and décor to your habitat, you can create an enticing and appealing natural looking living space for your Bearded Dragon, that also looks good in your home.
What Type of Substrate or Bedding is Best
Ultimately, the question at hand is; What is the best Substrate Material or form of Bedding to use?
Let us look at a few of the options;
- Ceramic Tiles – A fairly new trend rarely used is ceramic tiles in a terrarium for a Bearded Dragon. Ceramic Tiles are easy to clean and also eliminate the risk of impact issues from small particles as with sand.
- Bark and Mulch – I have only added this one because it SHOULD BE AVOIDED. It creates and retains too much humidity, which is not good for Bearded Dragons.
- Newspaper – News Paper I would suggest as a temporary solution when you start or run out of the substrate. It is safe and absorbent, easy to maintain, yet very unappealing, and can also retain humidity.
- Reptile Carpets – A reptile Carpet or Cage Liner is a natural-looking reusable material that lines the floor of your Bearded Dragon’s cage. They are washable and reusable, as well as natural-looking. The only issue with Reptile Carpets is that small loops of thread or material can get caught in the Bearded Dragon’s Nails.
- Sand – Last and One of the favorite substrates to use today is sand. Substrate sand for reptiles comes in many forms and materials and different textures, from very fine to very coarse and chunky. This form of the substrate can consist of Calcium, sand, or Coconut husk pieces. The main issue with sand is the Bearded dragon’s risk of ingesting the sandal and their gut becoming impacted.
- Coconut Coir – Coconut Coir is a natural substance that is safe for most reptiles and will not cause impaction or other health issues. Coconut Coir is non-abrasive and gentle against reptiles skin, and will likewise not scratch the glass of your tank. It is also very absorbent and keeps the heat and humidity of your Reptile habitual well balanced.
- Walnut Shells – Ground Walnut Shells are another excellent option that is natural and safe for reptiles and bearded Dragons. The natural substance will not cause harm if ingested and is also non-abrasive against YOur Bearded dragon’s skin. Furthermore, this natural substrate will not scratch the glass of your tank and keep heat inside the tank.
Features of a Good Bedding for Bearded Dragons
- Materails – Calcium Carbonate sand, Organic Coconut Coir, or Silica sand. Materal Liner.
- Functions – Absorbs Moisture, Reduces Odors, Aesthetically Appealing.
- Safety – Digestible Calcium, or argere pellets that can not cuase Gut Impactation.
- Color Options – Substrate can come in dofferent natural color optiosn such as bronws, tans and greys. Liner can also be brown or green in color.
Reviews: The Best Bearded Dragon Beddings
Looking for the best available Bedding for your Bearded Dragon, well then look no further than our comprehensive list;
The Zilla Ground English Walnut Shells make safe and highly absorbent bedding for Bearded Dragons.
- You can choose the size of the bag that you require.
- The products consist of 100% Natural Ground English Walnut Shells that are safe and absorbent.
- The Substrate will not scratch the glass of your tank as with sand.
- Walnut Shells are likewise excellent at conducting heat.
Another excellent product from Zilla is its Substrate Liner in a natural green color.
- The fabric liner comes in different size options for the perfect fit in your reptile tank.
- This type of bedding is reusable and very low maintenance.
- The Liner is treated with biodegradable enzymes to reduce odors and easy cleaning.
- You will also find the liner to be very absorbent and non-abrasive for your Bearded Dragons.
The Critters Comfort Coconut Reptile bedding is another excellent choice for Bearded Dragons.
- The bedding is ideal for snakes, Geckos, Lizards, Iguanas, and Bearded Dragons alike.
- You can enjoy superb odor control and absorption.
- Coconut Coir is safe and natural and will not scratch your tank glass.
- You will enjoy 100% peace of mind because the Coconut Coir is completely organic.
From Reptile Sciences, we have the Terrarium sand in a Natural Sedona Color.
- This sand consists of 100% digestible calcium Carbonate that will prevent intestinal and external abrasions.
- The all-natural Orbicular grains are silica and phosphate-free,
- The mix likewise contains healthy Magnesium, Strontium, and Potassium.
- Furthermore, the substrate is a natural odor neutralizer.
The Zoo Med Repti-Fresh Odor Eliminating Substrate comes in black and gray color options.
- You can choose the different weight options for sand that you require and the color you like.
- The sand is very easy to use and maintain.
- The refresh sand can last 12 months before your need to replace it.
- This is also an all-natural green product.
The Critters Comfort Coconut Reptile Bedding is safe and natural, as well as completely organic.
- The ideal bedding for a variety of reptiles, including your Bearded Dragon.
- Coconut is natural and organic and will not scratch glass.
- Thi substrate is non-abrasive to your pet and highly absorbent, reducing odors in their habitat.
- Other than that, it also holds humidity and heat effectively.
Index Table: Top Rated Bearded Dragon Beddings
|1||Zilla Ground English - Bedding for Bearded Dragons||Zilla Ground||98.6|
|2||Zilla Reptile - Bearded Dragon Beddin and Subtsrate Lining||Zilla||98.4|
|3||Critters Comfort Coconut - Fine Substrate for Your Bearded Dragon||Critters Comfort||97|
|4||Reptile Sciences Terrarium Sand - Bedding for Your Bearded Dragon||Reptile Sciences||97.4|
|5||Zoo Med ReptiFresh - Bearded Dragon Bedding||Zoo Med||97|
|6||Critters Comfort Coconut - Organic Substrate for Bearded Dragons||Critters Comfort||96.8|
Table of Contents
- Bearded Dragon Substrate and Bedding
- What Type of Substrate or Bedding is Best
- Features of a Good Bedding for Bearded Dragons
- Reviews: The Best Bearded Dragon Beddings
- Zilla Ground® English Bedding for Bearded Dragons
- Zilla® Reptile Bearded Dragon Beddin and Subtsrate Lining
- Critters Comfort® Coconut Fine Substrate for Your Bearded Dragon
- Reptile Sciences® Terrarium Sand Bedding for Your Bearded Dragon
- Zoo Med® ReptiFresh Bearded Dragon Bedding
- Critters Comfort® Coconut Organic Substrate for Bearded Dragons
- Index Table: Top Rated Bearded Dragon Beddings