Everyone will agree that lying on a nice, comfortable bed is very relaxing, and out pet hedgehogs are no exception.
Hedgehogs might look like tough creatures with all of their spikes. However, in reality, hedgehogs are quite delicate.
The best bedding for hedgehog must be soft, comfy, and mold-free, and doesn’t develop worms or parasites, which might harm the health of your pet.
In this article, we will review the 12 best options that’ll surely work for your hedgehog. We will also include some more essential information to guide you in choosing the best bedding for your hedgehog.
Types of Beddings for Hedgehogs
Additionally, the feet of hedgehogs present a susceptible area, which needs care in choosing proper bedding. The hedgehog bedding you choose should be soft enough for your pet to walk on without getting pricked.
Before we even proceed to the reviews of the best bedding for hedgehogs, let us first identify the types of beddings that you can choose from for your hedgehog.
- Fabric Bedding – This is a nice option for your hedgehog bedding. If you don’t want to deal with regular recycling of the disposable pellets or shavings, this is also a great option. Hedgehogs love feeling cozy and nice while they are sleeping. This is actually what makes that possible. Overall, fabric bedding is comfy, in comparison to some other kinds of beddings. What’s more, most of the fabric bedding could be machine-washable. You’ll not need to worry about the cleaning, even though it needs to be done more frequently.
- Soft Shavings – This type of bedding is the most common hedgehog bedding that you may get on the market. This soft shaving bedding is good when it comes to providing a comfy area for your hedgehog to relax. Furthermore, they are also quite nice in terms of being biodegradable and easily disposable. Users who love to use these shavings due to their being beneficial in controlling odor in the hedgehog cage is better than the use of fabric bedding. Nonetheless, bear in mind that this kind of bedding necessitates a regular change. This is to keep the cage’s environment as clean as possible. Moreover, occasionally, mites may tend to get in the bedding. Make sure that you keep an eye on that.
- Pellets – This is a good option to use for the cage lining of your hedgehog. Pellets are great for absorbing odor and liquids. If your hedgehog is fairly messy, pellets will surely do a great job in masking the smell. Furthermore, you still need to keep a close eye on the pellets –just as the soft shavings. The issue with the pellets is that they might stick in between the quills of your hedgehog. This might fairly be painful.
- Newspaper Bedding – This is a cheaper option for hedgehog bedding. Even though it is cheap, it may last longer. If you’re going to choose newspaper bedding, ensure that they’re unprinted. Bedding made of printed newspapers may contain toxic ink, which might affect your hedgehog. One more thing that you should consider is the smell. Please make certain that the newspaper shaving doesn’t have any chemical smell on it. This might frequently affect the general health of your pet hedgehog.
- Igloo or Tent Bedding – These hedgehog beddings are designed to mimic igloos, tents, or even shapes of different animals. Put simply, these are domes that provide room for your hedgehog in order to get a cozy, comfortable sleep. These come with an amazing lining in order to assist with the overall comfort. In order to make them easier to work with, you’ll find that they’re machine washable. You will surely love the different designs it has.
Simple Buying Guide for Hedgehog Bedding
In this section, we will discuss the different factors that you should consider when buying bedding for your hedgehog.
- Safety – You need to look at the safety of the product before you make a purchase. It’s possible that some kind of beddings may arrive infested already with lice, fungus, or mold. Hence, make sure that you check the bedding as it is used. This is to make sure of the maintenance of the safety of your hedgehog.
- Absorption – It is vital that your hedgehog bedding has the best absorbency. Of course, you don’t want to deal with liquids or stench in the bedding. For whatever bedding, you need to find that it has the capacity to keep the top-most layer dry and clean. You must love it when the cage doesn’t smell all the time, as well.
- The Brand – The brand matters a lot in terms of bedding. This is mainly because purchasing from a top brand may guarantee you of ending up with the best bedding. Furthermore, most of the top brands also have experience in making the best bedding. This just means that there’s a great chance of getting high-quality bedding for your hedgehog all the time.
- Size, Scent, and Color – Varying on the manufacturer, you’re likely to end up with a lot of options, like different scents, colors, and sizes. It’s all up to you to choose the best one for your hedgehog. In most instances, these bedding may come in white color in order to show they aren’t bleached. You should always choose bedding that has no dye, since it may affect the hedgehog’s health. You might also pick a color that will work well for you. Consider the size of your cage, right before you pick your hedgehog’s bedding. Some may need more bedding to be able to replete the cage.
- Dust-Free – This is certainly one of the things that you shouldn’t forget when buying hedgehog bedding. Not all kinds of beddings are dust-free. The issue with dust is –it has allergens in it that may harm your hedgehog. It’ll also lead to hedgehog irritation. Therefore, if you want your pet hedgehog to be in great shape, you might as well consider buying bedding that is free of dust.
Benefits of Hedgehog Bedding
Here are some of the benefits of having bedding for your hedgehog:
- Bedding can provide your hedgehog with a comfortable place to relax and rest at break time. Hence, you should choose a bedding that is soft in order to provide the kind of comfort your pet needs.
- Most beddings used for hedgehogs are biodegradable. This is what makes them greatly beneficial to the environment. Even though you take the bedding out of your pet’s cage, it’ll not harm nature.
- Using bedding for your hedgehog will help in controlling the odor inside the cage. Remember, it is natural that your hedgehogs are messy. You need something that will help in controlling the odor. The best bedding for hedgehog can absorb the mess and will keep the cage smelling nice.
- Most bedding on the list above will be dust-free. This is essential in creating an environment that’s free from any allergens in order to keep your pet safe.
- It’s also worth noting that most of the hedgehog beddings are affordable. Therefore, the safety and comfort of your pet will not be compromised.
Hedgehog Bedding to Avoid
If you stick with our list of the best bedding for hedgehog, you will not need to worry about any issues. Nonetheless, if you plan to shop around a bit more, then you should know what to avoid, as well.
Remember, not all bedding is suitable for hedgehogs, and it is important that you know what to avoid so you might keep your pet as safe as possible.
- Cedar – The number one thing that you should avoid in choosing the best bedding for hedgehog –it is cedar shavings. These have acids and toxins in them, which may cause some serious issues for your pet. The most typical complication that this may cause is respiratory conditions. Aside from that, cedar shavings are also linked to issues like liver issues and even cancer.
- Other Beddings to Avoid – Apart from cedar shavings, some other beddings that you should avoid: Stray Leaves, Hay, Garden soil, Sawdust, Gravel.
Hedgehog Bedding Guidelines
It might seem to be a simple task to put bedding on your hedgehog cage. However, there are some guidelines that you need to remember. It’s possible that you might misuse or place the bedding incorrectly. This might lead to some issues for your pet.
Here are some rules that you should follow:
- Clean or Swap Consistently – Ensure that you are changing out your hedgehog bedding once every week. If you buy from the above list of the best bedding for hedgehog, there is a high chance that it may not look as if you need to change it.
- Put Enough Amount in the Cage – It’s very important that you place enough bedding, in order to make sure that it really does its job. Putting enough bedding is also vital when you want your pet to be comfortable walking all over its cage. Furthermore, having sufficient bedding in your pet’s cage is also necessary for the enrichment and lets your pet to burrow more effectively.
Reviews: Best Bedding For Hedgehogs
Looking for the best bedding for hedgehog might be so difficult because of the many products available on the market. That’s why we have prepared a list of the most top-rated hedgehog bedding for you.
- This is one of the most top-rated and recommended bedding you may get for your hedgehog. This is for the reason that this bedding is 100% safe.
- There are no harmful additives or chemicals, which have been added to it, as well.
- It isn’t only good for the hedgehog; guinea pigs and rabbits may also use it. One more thing is that this bedding is comfortable and soft.
- This will surely make a comfy place for your pet to relax and rest.
- Even though it is made of paper, the paper has never been printed on or even bleached. This just goes to show how harmless it is for your hedgehog.
- Soft and comfortable.
- May work for other pets, aside from hedgehogs.
- The packaging is smaller than the ones advertised.
- Even though its name implies that it is for guinea pigs, your hedgehog may also benefit from it. This bedding is made to be dry and clean. The mess and moisture might be able to wick into the layers. This assists in keeping the entire bedding dry all the time, even if the hedgehog is messy.
- Most of the owners also find this easy to use. With this, you will not need to deal with the spilling wood bits. In addition, it is built to last long compared to other brands. You’ll find it a great value for your money overall.
- What’s more, this bedding for a hedgehog is also natural and healthy for your pet. It helps in preventing common pet illnesses, which may arise from using other kinds of beddings.
- The bed is natural and healthy for your pet.
- It is very easy to use.
- It stays dry and clean.
- It tends to shrink after a long period of usage.
- This is yet another pet bedding that you may use for your hedgehog. It is so common as a hedgehog bedding because of all its benefits.
- This bedding is actually designed specifically for hedgehogs and some other small animals.
- If you have some other small animals, you may still use it with the same setup.
- Moreover, this bedding is also made of 100% safe materials. This may include the use of renewable wood fibers.
- Not only that, but it’s also worth bearing in mind that this bedding is 100% eco-friendly. This makes it essential for the environment, even though you need to dispose of it when used for long.
- What’s more, this hedgehog bedding is that you won’t need to spend too much on getting it.
- Superior performance.
- Natural bedding.
- It is 100% environment-friendly.
- Some customers feel that it isn’t soft enough.
- Aside from being one of the most top-rated brands, it’s also one of the healthiest and safest bedding that you can get for your hedgehog.
- This bedding is safe as it’s free o dyes, chemicals, and clay. These are common chemicals that are used in making paper.
- Since the said chemicals are removed, your hedgehog can use the bedding without putting their health into harm.
- Furthermore, the bedding is also tested for any contaminants, as well as sanitized, to be much safer.
- You may find that it also has the capacity to reduce mold, fungus, and bacteria from occurring. In general, it also aids with the overall odor control.
- You may find that this hedgehog bedding will make your pet’s cage smelling much better.
- Less dusty.
- It is very safe and healthy for your hedgehog.
- High quality.
- Not ideal for hamsters.
- If you are in search of a clean, healthy, and comfortable bedding for your hedgehog, then this one is the best option for you.
- This bedding is essential for various small animals like hedgehogs and even birds. What’s the best thing about it is that it is made from 100% recycled paper.
- This is what makes it much safer, not just for your pet, but also for the environment.
- In making this bedding, the manufacturer guarantees that the brand’s standards are met. This results in having an excellently made bedding material.
- Overall, this bedding will give you a great absorption rate. This is what will keep the odor from your pet’s cage.
- What’s more, you’ll also find that this bedding is dust-free and compostable. This will surely help in resolving the cases of allergies and irritation.
- Easy to spot clean.
- Not so durable.
- Bedding for Hedgehogs6. –
- [sc name="amz" asin=""]
- This bedding for a hedgehog is dust-free and very safe for your pet. When you are anxious about other beddings having dust, this might provide your hedgehog with a good place to rest, with no issues.
- Kaytee made this bedding much better in terms of being more absorbent.
- This is much better compared to the use of wood shavings. With that particular feature, the bedding, in general, may help in keeping the cage much cleaner.
- Furthermore, the bedding is also soft, making it essential when burrowing.
- If you have any animals which like burrowing, this one could be a great choice. You have the choice of selecting from the so many colors available.
- High quality.
- Available in different colors.
- Highly absorbent.
- Not durable.
- The brand itself is known to make the best bedding for pets. This just means that this bedding is really great for your hedgehogs.
- To make their product stand out from the rest, the manufacturer made it all-natural. It’s a natural paper bedding, which must be great for small animals.
- It’s the best in terms of being sustainable. You need to find it safe for your hedgehog, as well. Further, the bedding is 100% compostable and biodegradable.
- This just means that you will get a hedgehog bedding that does a superior performance. Overall, it’s a great product for the environment and for your pet.
- In addition, it is also highly absorbent to assist with the cage’s smell. it must also help in controlling the odor.
- Superior performance.
- 100% biodegradable and compostable.
- Safe and natural.
- Not durable.
- The bedding is too crunchy.
- If you prefer a comfy wood shavings bedding for your hedgehog, then this is the right one for you. It features shavings form hardwood.
- This is what makes the shavings resilient to fraying, evading the fragmentation, which may create a dusty surrounding.
- Furthermore, the material of this bedding is processed in order to remove the dust and some other wood debris.
- This results in better overall bedding for your hedgehog, in comparison to other wood shavings, which has excess debris.
- Just as other wood shavings, you’ll be needing to keep a strict schedule in replacing this bedding. Remember, leaving wood shavings after the suggested time may degrade it, thus causing some challenges for your pet.
- This bedding comes with a recommendation to replace every 7 days.
- This is essential in keeping the cage of your hedgehog fresher and make your pet happier.
- Save money.
- Gets rid of dust that may pose respiratory issues.
- Uses all-natural wood shavings.
- Not ideal for very small pets.
- Some items may arrive with mites and/or bugs.
- What makes this bedding stand out from the others is that it has high absorbency. It allows the bedding to stay dry for a longer period of time compared to some other options.
- Furthermore, this hemp bedding is also known to absorb over 4x of its weight.
- What’s more, you may also find that this bedding is low in palatability and low in dust. These are the necessary qualities of any bedding.
- No one wants dust, as it might lead to allergies. Moreover, it is also free of any chemicals. This just means that it is still safe for your hedgehog.
- There are some beddings that may have chemicals in them, which may cause allergy or irritation to your pet. Dr. Hemp All-Natural Pet Bedding is a good one.
- Not only that, but it also comes with a longer lifespan compared to the others. This is essential as it saves you money on overall hedgehog bedding.
- Low dust.
- Highly absorbent.
- High quality.
- Expensive for its size.
- This bedding for hedgehog comes with bright colors, which may lighten up your pet’s bedding area. This is essential if you want a bulk bedding option.
- Further, since it comes at 25.7 liters, it will give you enough material to last longer. In the actual fact, even though it is said that it comes at 25.7 when it expands, it can give you more than 50 liters of material. This might give you twice as much bedding for your hedgehog.
- What’s more, the material of this bedding is special and dust-free. Its durability is also what makes it stand out from the rest. It’ll last for a long period, compared to wood shavings. It’ll be much cleaner than some other materials.
- What’s more, its fine construction can make it more comfortable for your pet.
- Its package might be a bit highly-priced, yet this one is a great price for the value that you will get. It can make for an oil-free, cozy sleeping experience for your pet.
- The material is well-designed to make sure that it is healthy for your hedgehog to sleep on.
- Expandable to over 50 liters.
- Oil-free material.
- Cozy and clean.
- Not suitable for gerbils.
- Not durable.
- At 69 liters, it is one of the best deals that you can get for your hedgehog. It is specially made, combining two amazing bedding materials in one.
- The first one is from softwood shavings, and the second is the manufacturer’s blue soft padding material.
- This combination results in a bedding that’s greatly comfortable for your hedgehog. Similarly, it is firm and healthy. It’s been treated with a natural odor-controlling formula.
- This assists in preventing the accumulation of ammonia and some other odors.
- You and even your hedgehog will surely enjoy having this bedding.
- It’ll get rid of the smells, which accumulate with poorly designed bedding, as well as allow your pet to play comfortably and relax on this amazingly colorful bedding.
- Colorful bedding.
- Contains natural odor-controlling formula.
- It has a soft padding.
- Not dust-free.
- Some products arrive with a strong smell.
- The overall design of this bed is so adorable and cute. A lot of people buy them since they look good, especially when your hedgehog is in them.
- Having said that, they actually don’t only look good, as they are also functional.
- The materials that are used in making them are so soft, in general. This is mainly because the manufacturer actually utilizes striped soft and velvet cotton filling.
- You will always have a good time working with this kind of bedding since they keep your pet very comfortable.
- A lot of hedgehog owners love it, for they provide warm places for their pet babies. Not only that, but they are also easy to wash, so your hedgehog has a place to relax and rest on.
- This bedding is great for other small animals too, aside from your hedgehog.
- Cool design.
- Needs a regular cleaning.
Choosing the best bedding for hedgehog doesn’t need to be that much of a burden to you, provided you know what you are looking for. Use the reviews we have listed above in choosing the best bedding for your hedgehog. The list should make it easy for you to choose a model that can give your baby the greatest comfort in terms of sleeping and resting.
You also need to make sure that the bedding will not cause your hedgehog any health conditions. Stay away from the beddings that have dust or don’t keep the environment dry and clean. Let us know about your experience in purchasing your own hedgehog bedding, leave a comment below!
Index Table: Top Rated Hedgehog Bedding
Table of Contents
- Types of Beddings for Hedgehogs
- Simple Buying Guide for Hedgehog Bedding
- Benefits of Hedgehog Bedding
- Hedgehog Bedding to Avoid
- Hedgehog Bedding Guidelines
- Reviews: Best Bedding For Hedgehogs
- Small Pet Select® Natural Paper Bedding Hedgehog’s Bedding
- GuineaDad® Fleece Liner Bedding for Hedgehogs
- Carefresh® Complete Pet Bedding Hedgehog Bedding
- Carefresh® Natural Premium Soft Pet Bedding Bedding for Hedgehogs
- FiberCore® Eco-Bedding Natural Bedding for Hedgehogs
- Kaytee® Clean and Cozy White Small Animal Bedding Hedgehog’s Bedding
- Carefresh® Complete Confetti Pet Bedding Hedgehog Bedding
- Kaytee® All Natural Aspen Bedding Hedgehog’s Bedding
- Hemp® All Natural Pet Bedding Bedding for Hedgehogs
- Absorption Corp® Carefresh Pet Bedding Bedding for Hedgehogs
- Carefresh® Shavings Plus Pet Bedding Bedding for Hedgehogs
- MYIDEA® Warm Hedgehog Bed Hedgehog Bedding
- Index Table: Top Rated Hedgehog Bedding