Many people believe that only a specific breed of horses, like thoroughbreds and Arabians, shows signs of restlessness and stress. Moreover, age and gender also impact the horse’s behavior. Irrespective of the breed, any horse can suffer from nervousness and irritation.
While some horses are naturally calm, some horses get easily nervous and may show aggressive or difficult behavior when exposed to stimulation.
It can be dangerous to ride and take care of a horse that is a bit ‘high-strung’ by nature. Riding such a horse can lead to severe physical injuries to the rider and nearby people.
You need to identify the moments when they are nervous and likely to get out of control. While some supplements are for stressful days, others can be taken regularly.
To help you find the right calming supplement for your horse, we have compiled a list of the 15 best calming supplements for horses available in the market.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are calming supplements made with harmful chemicals?
Reputable pet supply manufacturers only use natural products to make calming supplements for horses. They do not use prohibited supplements in the formulation to ensure horses’ safety.
Will feeding my horse calming supplements lower their energy levels?
Many horse owners avoid feeding supplements on stressful days for fear of lowered performance. However, many calming supplements can improve your horse’s focus. This means that after they are calm, they perform better at races, showing, competitions, etc.
What are the different types of calming supplements?
Calming supplements are available for both regular uses and used on stressful days. The supplements are available in various forms, including powder, pallets, liquid paste, and even wafers.
How to decide upon the quantity of supplement to be fed?
Before deciding upon the frequency of intake and the product to use, you need to figure out when your horse gets excited or nervous. Does it happen when someone rides them? When are they alone or in a new place?
The directions for calming supplements for horses of different sizes and ages are printed either on the back of the most calming supplements or a paper available in the packet.
Reviews: Best horse Calming Supplements
Here are Our Top Picks for Best Calming Supplements for Horses
- Manufactured in the US, AniMed Via Calm is a calming supplement for horses made with l-tryptophan, thiamine, calcium, and magnesium.
- Regular use of AniMed is beneficial for dogs if it is fed to them before any stressful situation occurs.
- This AniMed supplement balances the animal’s hormones to keep them emotionally stable. AniMed is a piece of care equipment suitable for horses engaged in farming, training, competitions, and other regular activities.
- The Yea-Sacc 1026 in the supplement provides naturally occurring, live microorganisms that promote healthy digestion and gut stability amongst horses.
- Even after a month of regularly feeding them AniMed, you will be able to witness a noticeable change in your horse’s stress levels.
- The AniMed supplement makes them more willing and relaxed and works to shorten a sudden bout of nervousness. They start to think before they react and do not get out of control.
- MagnaGard Pre-Performance paste for horses is a natural calmer that also soothes gastric discomfort amongst horses. It is made with natural ingredients, including water, montmorillonite clay or bentonite, salt, and peppermint essential oils.
- This provides vital electrolytes to ensure that the horse’s muscle function at their optimum levels. It can be used right before stressful situations like trailering, competing, and horse showing. And it instantly calms them and makes them more focused.
- It is an excellent magnesium source, which works as a natural calming agent amongst horses. Moreover, peppermint essential oil is a good acid buffer and promotes healthy digestion.
- How to feed: The MagnaGard Pre-Performance paste for horses is inserted with a syringe’s help.
- The syringe tip has to be placed between and side of the month and the horse’s tongue. When the plunger is squeezed, it leaves the paste in the mouth. The paste must be given to the horse approximately 15 minutes before the stressful situation.
- It is the best calming supplement for horses often placed under stressful situations, as it provides quick results.
- The Ramard 079049 Total Calm And Focus Show Safe Syringe was developed for horses regularly participating in races and competitions.
- It is a product made with rami sol, which helps soothe the horse’s anxious nerves. The paste calms them but does not result in a loss of energy.
- Moreover, it improves their reaction to extremely stressful situations and makes them more efficient.
- It helps enhance focus amongst horses, calms them, and prepares them for anxiety-inducing situations. With the help of Ramard 079049 Total Calm And Focus Show Safe Syringe, you can take your horse through hauling, racing, showing, and sales prep.
- The paste effect lasts for 8 to 10 hours and must be given to them 2 hours before the stressful situation.
- Oralx Calm & Cool Pellets For Horses is manufactured in the USA and contains Crude protein, fiber, fat, Thiamine hydrochloride, grain products, and Alfalfa meat.
- It is a daily feed supplement with Vitamin B-1 and Valerian Root extract to keep your horse calm and focused. This product can also be fed to horses 2 to 4 hours before a stressful situation. It helps take the edge off for them.
- Valerian root and chamomile are common ingredients found in calming supplements for horses, as they are naturally good stress relievers.
- Valerian roots in Oralx Calm & Cool Pellets For Horses make it one of the best calming supplements for horses.
- Quality: It must be fed to the horse daily, with their feed. A scoop inside the pail must be used to measure the pellets’ number to be mixed with the feed. Half scoop is enough for weanlings, while one scoop can be used for horses that are greater than 800 lbs.
- The Oralx Calm & Cool Pellets increase the horse’s focus and make them more composed.
- Excessive stress can lead to gastric ulcers amongst horses. The REDMOND Daily Gold Stress Relief is a bentonite clay containing harmful chemicals. It provides a collection of 68 minerals and 3% sodium chloride that can be found in animal and human tissues.
- This calming supplement’s major benefits are stress relief, ulcer relief, toxin binding, colic relief, digestive support, and is a trigger for hydration.
- The intake of REDMOND Daily Gold Stress Relief releases unique molecules that attract and bind toxins to improve digestion amongst horses.
- The high pH can burnout the acidic ulcers and sores and get rid of diarrhea and lack of appetite.
- Quantity: Two scoops of REDMOND Daily God Stress Relief mixed every day with your horse’s feed are enough to keep digestive problems caused by stress away.
- If a horse trains and works hard every day, then you can also mix three scoops in their feed.
- From small, medium, average to large horses, the number of scoops ranges from 1 to 4, respectively.
- As the name suggests, the Silver Lining Herbs Mare Moods is perfectly suitable for moody horses that tend to get restless from time to time.
- Produced in the USA, this calming supplement is made with natural herbs like Eleuthero, Sarsaparilla, Kelp, Dong Quai, Goldenseal, and Uva Ursi.
- This Silver Lining product helps poor haulers to get calm for the job. Moreover, it helps maintain a normal disposition. This horse care product has even received The NASC Quality Seal and is one of the best calming supplements for horses.
- The product also helps balance hormones and keeps the horse leveled during mild heat cycles. It prevents them from having hard and frequent heat cycles.
- It supports the reproductive functions and uterus of the horses.
- Moreover, it helps maintain normal progesterone and testosterone levels as well.
- Using the product regularly can make moody mares more manageable.
- It is made with the highest quality of natural biochemical substances that effectively reduce stress and increase your horse’s performance. It contains a blend of melatonin, vitamin B6, and 5-HTTP. Intake of SynNutra Equine SynChill Oral Horse Calming Gel promotes serotonin production in the central part of the horse’s nervous system and calms them. There are illegal chemicals or drugs in this calming supplement.
- The product is produced in the USA and provides guaranteed results.
- It has small quantities of 5-HTP that directly start the calming effect. This happens because 5-HTP crosses the blood-brain barrier amongst horses.
- How and when to feed: It must be given to them 1 to 6 hours before any stressful situation. For example, if your horse is training for a race, this oral gel will help them stay focused to perform well. Another SynNutra product, SynChill Daily can be used as a regular calming supplement for horses.
- After many years of research and experiments, the formula of SynNutra was finally perfected.
- This calming supplement formula by Perfect Prep EQ is quite perfect for calming horses and soothing their nerves to be well prepared for stimulations like training and competitions.
- It contains no prohibited substances and will not harm your horse in any way. Perfect Company is a reputable company that offers quality calming supplements to horse owners.
- While the Perfect Prep EQ training day calming supplement effectively solves stress and digestion issues, the impact is enhanced when used with other Perfect Prep EQ system supplements. Other products in the Perfect Prep EQ system are Perfect Prep EQ Gold, Perfect Prep EQ Supreme, and Perfect Prep EQ Extreme.
- Quantity: This calming supplement can be given to your horse with their morning and/or evening feed. Feeding two 1-ounce scoops of Perfect Prep EQ before 48 hours of any stress-inducing event can maximize the effect. The Perfect Prep EQ’s impact can be seen within 3-5 days of using it.
- Animal Element In The Zone is a paste to help relax young and nervous horses. The ingredients used to make this GMO free paste are Coconut Oil, Sodium Chloride, Shilajit, Raspberry leaf powder, Spirulina, and many more.
- This paste keeps your horse calmer, free from digestive problems, and focused for a day with competitions, showing, and other stress-inducing activities,
- Quantity: The Animal Element In The Zone tube contains 80cc of paste. You need to give your horse the tube in 4 doses of 20cc.
- One feed of 20cc paste is enough to keep your horse calm for 1 to 2 hours before any event. 20cc paste can be given to young horses 2 to 3 times a day during, especially stressful days.
- It is one of the best calming supplements for horses.
- When feeding powder and liquid supplements to your horse with their feed, they may not finish their food or try to skip the portion with the powder.
- This will lead to them receiving less nutrition and will ultimately dampen the supplements’ effect. The Majesty’s Kalm + Peppermint Wafers is the perfect solution to this problem.
- The wafers’ flavor is peppermint, and your horse will certainly not make a fuss while eating them.
- The Majesty’s Kalm + Peppermint Wafers have nervous system nutrients like Vitamin B1 and L-tryptophan.
- The wafer contains nutrients and minerals that support balanced behavior in horses, including Thiamine Mononitrate, Winter Cherry, and Inositol.
- Established in 2001, Majesty’s Animal Nutrition was created by people who had horses and cared about their welfare.
- They wanted to help horse people find a calming supplement that wouldn’t seem as hassling as powder and liquid supplements.
- Quantity: A horse with 1200 pound weight needs to be fed one wafer every day to make them calmer and focused.
- In case they have a medical condition that makes them more prone to stress, you can consult a vet about the number of wafers to be fed.
- The easy-to-use feature of Majesty’s Kalm + Peppermint Wafers and tasty peppermint flavor for your horse makes it one of the best calming supplements.
- The nutrition offered by Formula 707 Calming Equine Supplement supports three processes that lead to the relaxation of the nervous system amongst horses. These include serotonin, nutrition, and relaxation.
- The L-Tryptophan leads to serotonin release in the central part of the horses’ nervous system and reduces anxiety. The thiamine in the formula provides nutrition to the horses, and magnesium supports the calmer system.
- Horses with a high carbohydrate diet are prone to Thiamine and magnesium deficiency. Thiamine deficiency in horses can lead to easily irritable behavior, excitability, elevated BP, muscle cramping, and pyruvate.
- Formula 707 Calming Equine Supplement’s regular use can help your horse lead a calmer and safer life and improve their performance.
- Quantity: A horse must be fed 2 ounces of the supplement every day with their feed ideally. You may start noticing an impact on the horse’s behavior within 4 to 7 days.
- If you have a particularly extra cranky mare, then T.H.E. Equine Edge Moody MarePLUS could be the calming supplying that you’ve been looking for. It contains non-narcotics and only contains natural supplements.
- Ingredients like Chaste Tree Berry, Dandelion, Black Cohosh, and Organic Raspberry are the main ingredients to make this calming supplement.
- T.H.E. Equine Edge Moody MarePLUS provides comfort and control during the horse’s heat cycle. It helps to reduce muscle spasms, hormonal imbalance, and mood swings.
- Quantity: Give one scoop a day to a horse with 1000 lbs.
- Mix the calming supplement with the top layer of the feed so that the horse finishes it first and receives the required nutrients. If your mare has a temperature or is in heat, you can even give them two scoops a day.
- This T.H.E. Equine Edge calming supplement is also effective for Geldings.
- Using herbs as calming supplements for horses is the most natural and effective solution to decrease stress and increase relaxation.
- It contains herbs that are nervines, helping maintain normal nerve impulse amongst horses.
- This calming supplement can help them keep cool and composed during travel, separation, and stress.
- The product has also received the NASC Quality Seal.
- The formula’s key ingredients include Hawthorn, Hops, skullcap, valerian, lobelia, Oregon Grape, Black Cohosh, Chamomile. All of these ingredients promote contentment and relaxation amongst horses.
- Quantity: It is advised to mix one scoop of the formula into a 1000-1200 pound horse feed.
- While exercises and training can help reduce stress, they can also become a cause of the agitation. Seroquine is a calming supplement for equine that can keep you calm and focused.
- It has to be used before stressful situations to relax the horse without inducing drowsiness. This can also be used after these events to encourage emotional balance.
- It is a GMO Grain- and soy-free supplement for horses.
- One of the key ingredients is magnesium, a calming agent for horses. It also produces healthy energy in them. Taurine modulates stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline to reduce anxiety.
- Quantity: One scoop can be fed to your horse every day with their feed to keep your horse relaxed. In case you do not witness improvement with time or see symptoms of restlessness increased, you must consult an experienced vet.
- The Perfect Prep EQ provides effective calming support to your mare and does not contain any prohibited substances that may be harmful to your horse.
- It also deals with gastric discomfort and addresses soundness amongst horses. It has been pelleted to be easily mixed with the feed and fed.
- The effect of this calming supplement can immediately be seen on your mare.
- After 4 to 6 feedings of the Perfect Prep EQ Sane And Sound, you will witness a noticeable calmness in your mare.
- This is a great product for horses that can easily stress and help them maintain emotional balance. While the product is effective alone, it needs to be used with other Perfect Company Calming supplements for horses for better results.
Calming supplements for horses can make them calm and focused. The use of calming supplements on especially stressful days can balance their hormones. It can also improve their performance during races, competitions, showings, and hauling.
Calming supplements can be used to get relief from an upset stomach, gastric discomfort, ulcers, hard heat cycle, and anxiety. They are good for the well being of both horses and their owners.
Index Table: Top rated horse Calming Supplements
Table of Contents
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Reviews: Best horse Calming Supplements
- AniMed® Via Calm Calming Supplement for Horses
- MagnaGard® Pre-Performance Horse Calming Supplements
- Ramard® 079049 Total Calm And Focus Show Safe Syringe Calming Supplement for Your Horse
- Oralx® Cool Pellets For Horses Horse Calming Supplements
- RADMOND® Daily Gold Stress Relief Horse Calming Supplements
- Silver Lining® Herbs Mare Moods Calming Supplement for Horses
- SynNutra® Equine SynChill Oral Horse Calming Gel Calming Supplement for Your Horse
- Perfect Prep® EQ Training Day Calming Supplement Calming Supplement for Horses
- Animal Element® In The Zone Horse Calming Supplements
- Majesty’s Kalm® Peppermint Wafers Horse Calming Supplements
- Formula 707® Calming Equine Supplement Horse Calming Supplements
- T.H.E.® Equine Edge Moody MarePLUS Calming Supplement for Your Horse
- Silver Linings® Herbs Keep Cool Horse Calming Supplements
- Uckele® Seroquine Calming Supplement for Horses
- Perfect Prep® EQ Sane And Sound Calming Supplement for Horses
- Index Table: Top rated horse Calming Supplements