Chameleons make cute, amazing, and unique pets. However, these lizard-like creatures are quite specific in care and maintenance.
Among others, one of the most important is to invest in the best chameleon cage. Provide chameleons with a safe and comfortable habitat.
More than a balanced diet, chameleons need a good place to live. They must be able to move around easily while staying comfortable.
Are you looking for chameleon terrarium cages? Keep on reading and learn from our recommendations in this short buying guide.
How to Choose the Best Chameleon Cage
Many of you will be overwhelmed with too many choices available. However, this should not be a reason to decide in haste.
To help you narrow down the possibilities, here are some important considerations.
- Size – Bigger is always better when it comes to chameleon cages. They are arboreal, which means that they live in trees and plants. There should be enough room for foliage.
- Material – Many chameleon cages are made of glass, making it easy to see your pet. It also has excellent humidity and temperature regulation. For a cheaper alternative, the mesh is also a good choice. There are also some with a hybrid design.
- Durability – Speaking of materials, make sure that it is sturdy. Choose materials that the chameleon won’t be able to break easily.
- Ventilation – Make sure that the cage has excellent air circulation. This will let air in, preventing mold and mildew, especially if you have plants or foliage.
- Care and Maintenance – It is frustrating to have a cage that will be complicated to clean. Pick one that is effortless in terms of the cage’s maintenance.
- Extra Features – Look for additional features that will make the chameleon cage more functional. Lighting, thermometer, and humidity gauge are some features to look for.
Tips and Tricks for a Chameleon Cage
It is not enough that you are using the best chameleon cage. To make the most out of the latter and take care of your pet the best way, take note of these tips.
- Install a UVA/UVB fluorescent bulb. It will provide the calcium that your pet needs. There should be a 12-hour light and dark cycle.
- Check the humidity in the chameleon cage. On average, it should be 65 to 80%. A hygrometer or a humidity gauge is a must-have for proper tracking.
- A dripping system is also crucial in the chameleon cage. This will provide your pet with the hydration it needs, especially when hot.
- Line the bottom of the cage with a substrate or bedding. Ensure that it won’t trap moisture, encouraging bacteria growth to harm chameleons.
- Choose a cage with excellent ventilation. Proper air circulation is necessary to create a healthy and comfortable habitat for your pet.
- Chameleons are territorial and solitary. Avoid housing two chameleons in one cage, especially if they are both males. They will end up being aggressive.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Have you got questions about chameleon cages? We’ll try to answer some of them below.
Can I keep a chameleon in a gas tank?
Yes, you can keep a chameleon in a gas tank. Glass is a good material because of its excellent ability to manage humidity. It can also maintain temperature better compared to mesh.
What does a chameleon need in its cage?
A chameleon terrarium should be fully equipped with everything that your pet needs. This includes fresh air circulation, water, light, and plants, especially ones they can climb.
What is the right temperature for a chameleon cage?
During the day, the chameleon cage’s ideal temperature should be anywhere from 70 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. At night, on the other hand, the temperature in the cage should be 65 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Reviews: Best Chameleon Cages
Clueless about the best cage to choose for your chameleon? Below are the top products that should be on your radar.
- This screen cage is made by a reliable brand, making it one of the most reliable choices for the best chameleon cage.
- On the other hand, the frame is made of black anodized aluminum, known for its durability. We already expect this one thing from a brand as reliable as Zoo Med.
- One of this cage’s best features is its large front door, providing easy entry and exit.
- There is a separate door for the substrate, which means that you don’t have to open the main door to fix the substrate.
- It comes with almost everything that you will need in one kit. Plus, it is also easy to assemble. Even by yourself, you can complete its assembly using just a screwdriver.
- Beautiful and durable – these are two of the things that you can expect from this chameleon cage.
- It has a screen and a frame made of anodized aluminum.
- It is made using corrosion-resistant materials so that you can be confident of its longevity.
- Like the other cages from Zoo Med, it is already inclusive of the hardware you will need to complete its installation.
- A screwdriver is all that you will need to set up the cage.
- The hinged bottom door is also a plus. This will come in handy for easy substrate removal.
- If you have a small chameleon, this cage’s size will be more than enough. As your chameleon grows bigger, however, you might also want to look for a bigger cage.
- This terrarium is made of glass, making it easy to monitor your pet. Even from afar, you can easily see how your chameleon is doing.
- There is no problem even if you have to assemble wires and other accessories in the cage. There are closable inlets.
- The top ventilation, on the other, is a full screen.
- It is completely removable, so you have the freedom to customize the cage depending on the accessories that you will use.
- The bottom, on the other hand, comes with a raised surface. This will allow you to mount the heater and other accessories easily.
- Black mesh is the main material that is used in this chameleon cage. Even if it is mesh, there’s no need to worry about its durability.
- On the side, there is an aluminum frame.
- Combined with the mesh screen, this makes the cage lightweight. This also means that you can move it around easily.
- On the other hand, the PVC bottom provides the perfect place for laying the substrate. It is water-resistant. However, it will have been better if there is a separate door for the substrate.
- There is also a cord access port on the side. There is no more need to make holes by providing wire access.
- This cage comes with a 90-day warranty from the manufacturer, which can provide you with peace of mind.
- If space is not an issue at home, this will make another great option for the best chameleon cage. Your pet will have plenty of space to have fun!
- The main material used for the cage is glass, which means that it will be easy to monitor your pet even from a distance.
- Meanwhile, the top is a steel screen mesh. This will provide the ventilation that your pet needs. With this air circulation, you can also better manage humidity.
- Another thing that we love about this product is the big double door. This will make it effortless to clean the interior and take care of your pet.
- This is another spacious option for the best chameleon cage. With dimensions of 36 x 18 x 24 inches, your pet can move around easily.
- The bottom panel of this chameleon cage is made of clear glass. It is also slightly raised, which will provide room for a heater.
- There is plenty of ventilation to keep your pet comfortable. It has ventilation on the top, left, and right.
- We also love the double-door design of this chameleon cage. You can open the front door separately.
- Ease of installation is another good thing about this product. On average, it will take only five minutes to complete the installation of this chameleon cage.
- It also comes with a special lock, which will prevent kids from accidentally opening the cage when you are not around.
- If you want to have easy access to your pet while having a habitat where it can feel safe and comfortable, this is another option to consider.
- On top of the terrarium, there is a hinged panel. This is where you can access your pet and accessories in the cage. It also has a powder-coated screen, which is known for its durability.
- This is also a good choice for looking for a stylish chameleon cage. There is a realistic rock foam that serves as its background.
- The 3-inch water-tight bottom is also a good feature of this cage. This will provide plenty of space for your choice of substrate.
- It comes with locking safety pins, which will prevent kids from opening it without adult supervision.
- This chameleon cage looks like an aquarium. This is one of the most expensive products listed in this quick guide, but it will be worth every dollar.
- Recycled PVC and compressed foam are the main materials used in this chameleon cage. Because of being lightweight, it will be easy to move the cage around.
- On the other hand, the sliding doors are made of tempered glass. This will give you a clear sight of your pet, even when you are far.
- As for the assembly, setting it up will be quick. All parts are provided, except for the screwdriver. On average, it will take half an hour to complete the cage’s assembly.
- This is similar to the reptile cage from Zoo Med earlier mentioned.
- The main difference is that it comes as a complete kit to help you get started in taking care of a chameleon.
- Whether it is for veiled chameleon, Jackson chameleon, or panther chameleon, among others, this cage is promising!
- Aside from the cage, other things included in your purchase include naturalistic vine and plant, carpet, lighting kit, and thermometer, among other things.
- Like the cage from Zoo Med mentioned above, this also comes as a starter kit. It is inclusive of some things that you will need to take care of your chameleon.
- This size 10 glass terrarium can be quite small, so make sure to limit its use only to baby chameleons.
- It is surrounded by glass, but there is a mesh cover at the top. This will improve ventilation inside the cage, which will also come in handy when it comes to humidity management.
- Aside from the terrarium, the kit also includes reflective dome light fixtures, liner, temperature gauge, and light bulbs.
- If you have a generous space to spare in your house, this is a great choice for the best chameleon cage.
- With dimensions of 36 x 18 x 36 inches, this is one of the largest products mentioned in this short guide.
- One of the highlights of this product is the swiveling bottom door. This is beneficial in making it easy to fill your cage with your substrate of choice.
- It is covered with a high-quality screen, while the frame is made of black anodized aluminum. This is a corrosion-resistant material so that you can be confident about its durability.
The best chameleon cage is a must-have if you take care of a chameleon.
These lizard-like pets need a habitat where they can move easily while being protected from external elements that can affect their health.
The right cage will also keep your pet in a contained space instead of running around in a room.
Index Table: Top Rated Cages for Chameleons
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Chameleon Cage
- Tips and Tricks for a Chameleon Cage
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Reviews: Best Chameleon Cages
- Zoo Med® Repti-Breeze Open Air Screen Cage Chameleon Enclosure
- Zoo Med® Labs Nano Breeze Aluminum Screen Cage Cage for Chameleons
- Exo Terra® Hagen All-Glass Terrarium Chameleon Cage
- Zilla® Fresh Air Screen Habitat for Reptiles Cage for Chameleons
- Carolina® Custom Cages Extra-Large Terrarium Cage for Chameleons
- Repti Zoo® Reptile Glass Terrarium Chameleon Enclosure
- Zilla® Front Opening Terrarium Chameleon Cage
- Critter Condo® Reptile Cage Chameleon Enclosure
- Zoo Med® Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit Cage for Chameleons
- Zilla® Reptile Starter Kit 10 with Light and Heat Cage for Chameleons
- Exo Terra® Screen Terrarium Cage for Chameleons
- Index Table: Top Rated Cages for Chameleons