Eggs and chicken, both are one of the most-liked feasts for many people. But, did you know it takes a lot for the poultry farm owners to feed and keep chicken healthy? One of the major requirements is the best chicken feed that they take every day and stay healthy.
If you are starting with a poultry farm, there are a lot of things you should know, including the feed. This review will answer all the questions you may have on the subject. Plus, you will get the best recommendations on chicken feed products.
Choosing the Best Chicken Feed
The meal you feed your chickens will impact their health to a large extent. You should make sure that they are getting all the necessary nutrients.
Also, there is no one specific meal that you can serve to the chickens forever. There has to be versatility in what you are giving them.
On the market, you can find a variety of meals. These may factorize based on quantity, cost, and different types of food. Well, here are some of the important factors you must keep in mind while selecting the right meals for chicken.
- Chickens Feed Nutrients – Good nutrition will take your chickens a long way. They will stay disease-free and in their best health. But, how is it possible to ensure chickens are getting the nutrients they actually require. It is important to understand that age of chickens will establish their need for nutrients. Also, it is not important that all chicken in the flock are with egg layers. So, there are different dietary needs for each class. Just like other animals, chicken also needs carbs, vitamins, minerals, and fats. Therefore, your search should be around the feed that has all these components. Some of the best-liked foods include coarsely broken oyster shells that offer maximum calcium required for egg-layers to produce eggs with stronger shells.
- Quantity of Chicken Feed – Another thing that should rank on your search criteria is the amount of feed your chicken needs and how what quantities of purchase will be suitable. Chickens require to be fed a couple of times in a day. A standard-sized hen eats almost 1/4 – 1/3 pounds of pellets every day. Other than that, you may also want to feed them vegetables, scratch feed, and table scraps. Also, the chicken will appreciate access to grit as well. The quantity you purchase will largely depend on the number of chickens in the flock. You should be careful while making a purchase. But at the same time, don’t stock up food in massive capacity because it usually has a closer expiry date, and you might end up wasting the food.
- Chickens Feed Brand – Some people don’t give much consideration to brands. However, it will be in the best interest of your chicken if you can understand that chicken needs good food, which is mostly ensured by bigger brand firms. You see, their products are checked and verified by high-end organizations that check the food for its quality and only approve products that are safe in consumption. Some of the popular brands that manufacture the best of the products are Prairie’s Choice, Kalmbach, Coyote Creek, Scratch and Peck Feeds, F.M. Browns, Hiland Naturals, Manna Pro, etc. Yes, there are some local brands that manufacture suitable quality products, but such products are not highly dependable. Well, this was all the main things you should consider before buying good chicken feed.
Anatomy of Basic Food Requirements of Chicken
Over many years, the poultry industry has established the dire requirements of a chicken throughout its life cycle. Chicken requires massive care, starting from the time it is born until it attains full maturity.
This doesn’t just impact their health but also largely focuses on the feed produced by them. It will maximize the egg-laying potential of each bird.
So, here are some of the essential nutrients that your chicken will need throughout its lifespan.
- Most of the feeds you buy on the market have protein in them. The protein content also varies depending on the bird’s age and type. You should check for a pack that gives 24% protein.
- Another important component of their feed should be amino acids. These can be in the form of lysine and methionine.
- The vitamins needed by chicken are A, E, D3, and B12. They will also require truce mineral elements like copper sulfate and phosphorus.
- In the form of grain products, you can feed enzymes to chicken and strengthen their digestive system.
- Now, there are feeds with other additives like Omega 3. However, it is not an essential component of many foods. You should make sure that chicken is getting some portion of Omega 3 because it will directly impact the content of Omega 3 in the egg.
Chicken Feed Terminology
There are multiple phrases in chicken feed. If you don’t know what they exactly mean, then you must read the below content before going on for purchase. This will help you identify what the company is trying to say.
- Pellets – On most labels, you will see the name of the feed being pellets. Well, the feed is basically pelletized in smaller portions so that chicken finds it easy to consume, and there will be less waste.
- Crumbles – When pellets are further crushed then they become crumbles. It becomes very easy for chicks to eat a meal.
- Mash – The unprocessed feed is called mash. The feed is mostly in powder form. Plus, this is suitable for chicks as well as a full-grown hen, and you can serve it dry or wet according to how your chicken finds it easy to consume.
- Fermented – Any feed that is to be fed mixed with water is called a fermented feed. It ferments naturally.
- Medicated – The feed treated with a coccidiostat to prevent the attack of coccidian protozoa in chickens is a medicated feed.
- Un-Medicated – Any feed that does not have coccidiostat in it is an un-medicated feed for chicken.
Reviews: 15 Best Chicken Feed
The chicken feed products available on the market are in vast numbers. It becomes difficult to find the best ones out of the lot.
Well, I am going to give you some spectacular recommendations for a straightforward purchase.
- From Scratch and Peck Feeds, this product is suitable for chickens and ducks. It is USDA certified and non-GMO verified to ensure the safest growth of the chicken, without exposing them to a risk of bad health.
- The diet gives 16% proteins to the chickens. It is raw and unprocessed food that boosts better absorption as well.
- Since this is completely free of soy and corn, you can expect the diet to feel more palatable and healthier. It also establishes that the content in the box is not made with cheap ingredients. This is one of the trusted products to buy.
- The food has got complete nutrition for fully grown-up egg-laying hens. With this meal, you will not have to add any supplement to the chicken’s everyday diet.
- The ingredients are put together to fulfill the vitamin need for chickens. Also, there is a 16% protein to help strengthen the internal system.
- It is a complete layer feed with amazing health benefits for the chickens. Plus, the quantity is suitable enough to help you serve a large flock for a long time. You will find this product extremely helpful overall.
- It is not unusual why people prefer an organic diet over a company-made one because an organic diet is more nutritious and does not pose any threat to the health of the chicken.
- This one from Manna Pro is 100% organic and non-GMO feed. This is a USDA certified product suitable for the needs of your chicken.
- With a protein content of almost 16%, it is considered as a great feed for egg-laying full-growth chicken. Also, there are no artificial colors or flavors in the product.
- It is in the form of pellets, so you should have less waste to throw away once chickens are done with the food. Also, the feed is easy to digest.
- This one is among the most fulling diets made for chicken. It is soy and corn free, so you don’t have to worry about the meal to be more fulling but less nutritious.
- Most cheaply made meals have a lot of portion of soy and corn in it that basically bring no good to the health of the chicken.
- This has great ingredients that guarantee 17% of proteins. Also, it is a low-starch feed that keeps chicken cool in hot weather as well.
- The feed supports eggshell strength and the overall digestive system of the chicken. It is available in a large pack of 50-pounds.
- If you are looking for a supplementary diet for chickens, then this is the best product to buy. It is made with oyster shells in flaked form. The food is easy to digest and very convenient to eat since it is in flaked form.
- The feed is suitable for egg-laying chickens and gives a strong shell to the eggs. It is certified organic, non-GMO, soy-free, and raw food.
- It is an excellent source of calcium for the chickens. There is a reason why we say that it is a supplement because chickens don’t need calcium in large quantities in their daily diet.
- So, this diet is also for a specific reason. It has a major content of Omega nutrition. If you have followed my review from the beginning, then you should have read that for chickens, omega 3 is also very essential.
- Well, you can consider this product to be a supplement.
- It is not required to be served every day. But you should definitely serve once every three days.
- Furthermore, it has got vitamin D3 benefits.
- The egg formation is also very healthy. This food will support the digestive system as well as the immune system of chickens since there is a proprietary blend of prebiotics, probiotics, and enzymes.
- Built-in immunity improvements.
- It comes with vitamin D3 added.
- For excellent egg quality and hard shells.
- From Kalmbach, this is a regular feed for everyday consumption of chickens. If the flock does not approve any new food, try serving them this feed. It is small in size, and they will surely like it.
- It is an organic diet sourced from natural ingredients. Also, the food is non-GMO. The meal comes with probiotics, prebiotics, and enzymes. These will fortify the gut health of chickens.
- One of the best things is it comes with a warranty. The company is willing to take a guarantee of the product. If you are not satisfied, get your money back from the manufacturers.
- They are easy to consume, improve gut health, and come with a warranty.
- This is also a complete diet for chickens, and you can start to serve it to them at 17 to 20 weeks of age. This is the age when chickens start laying eggs.
- It is in the form of crumbles so that chickens don’t waste a lot of it. This kind of food is better than mash food. The composition does not have corn or soy content.
- The food is prepared to focus on the health of chickens and ensures maximum nutrition needs. Also, it has a great aroma, which will be an inviting element for chickens. They will surely finish their meals enjoyably.
- The Food has an attractive aroma and is easy to consume with less waste.
- Chicks when newborns need a high amount of proteins. Therefore, this product with 22% protein content is the best product you can buy for the newborn chicken.
- The best thing is that if you have different species of birds and animals, you can serve the meal to all of them. It is suitable for chicks, geese, turkeys, ducks, etc.
- The food is in the form of pellets that are easy to consume by all. It is non-GMO, soy-free, and corn-free.
- The composition is done in such a way that it will deliver maximum nutrition to the chicks.
- But you should make sure not to feed it to the grown-up chickens as excessive proteins are not good for egg-laying hens.
- The Food is suitable for newborn chickens and can be used for a variety of birds because of its easy consumption pellets.
- For routine feeding, this product is very useful. It is suitable for chickens as well as ducks. The USDA-certified and non-GMO product is very safe for usage.
- The composition does not contain soy or corn. It has an organic compilation of components that ensure the best health of the chicken.
- Also, the food is unprocessed, so it retains the nutrition in the best form. It comes in the form of pellets for quick consumption.
- A Nutrient-Rich, GMO-free, Organic option.
- The meal is meant for egg-laying hens. It has got a perfect proportion of nutrients that hen needs. While it has a small shelf life but it is for the benefit of your chickens only. The product is sourced fresh from the mills, and this way, you can serve your chicken freshest food.
- It has got all the excellent qualities of being non-GMO, USDA-certified, soy, and corn-free. It is definitely one of the best products on the market.
- Also, the feed is a crumbled form, so hens will find it easy to finish.
- Size options are avialble.
- This feed has a rich content of prebiotics and probiotics to support the immune and digestive system of the chicken fully. It is a completely balanced diet diminishing the need for any artificial supplements.
- Also, there are amino acids that help with skeleton development and vitamins like A and E. All these minerals will ensure the best health.
- Since this is a medicated product, you will be able to prevent many diseases in hens. Food is also beautifully colored to invite chickens for rapid consumption.
- Contains minerals and probiotics.
- Another product from Scratch and Peck feeds has proved to be one of the best chicken feeds online. It is an organic product free of soy and corn. Also, it is non-GMO.
- The USDA-certified product is available in unprocessed form. This will ensure the maximum strength and health of the chickens.
- The downside is that this product is available in a very small quantity. You might have to make frequent purchases.
- USDA Certified and Unprocessed.
- Another medicated diet for chickens, this is a perfect product to consider for purchase. This has got a perfect blend of prebiotics and probiotics to strengthen the immune system of the chicken.
- Also, there are nutrients to ensure more activeness in chicken. The vitamins that you can find in this product are A, D, and E for overall strength.
- Plus, you can expect highly-nutritious eggs with a strong shell. Plus, it is best for the prevention of coccidiosis.
- High Nutrition and prevents coccidiosis.
- This feed is made with all-natural nesting herbs that will give the chicken a lot of strength. The mixture is made in such a way that chicken will find it very easy to eat.
- For the chickens that are ready for laying eggs, this is a must-have diet. There are crushed oyster shells that provide all the necessary minerals and nutrients.
- Another great thing is that you get a money-back guarantee offered by the company. If you don’t like the product, you can get your money refunded.
- Contains many minerals and vitamins.
I hope that by the time you reach a conclusion, you will have a few options shortlisted to try for purchase.
These products are organic and absolutely safe in consumption. The flock will love the food. You should definitely see which one you can feed as every time meal and which one serves best as a supplement.
Check out all the products carefully and, after complete satisfaction, make the purchase of the best chicken feed.
Index Table: Top Rated Chicken Feeds
Table of Contents
- Choosing the Best Chicken Feed
- Anatomy of Basic Food Requirements of Chicken
- Chicken Feed Terminology
- Reviews: 15 Best Chicken Feed
- Naturally Free® Organic Layer Feed for Chickens and Ducks Chicken Feed
- Nutrena® Country Feeds 16% Layer Pellets Chicken Feed 50 Pounds Feed for Chickens
- Manna Pro® Organic Layer Pellets Chicken Food
- New Country® Organics Soy-Free, Corn-Free Layer Feed Feed for Chickens
- Scratch and Peck Feeds® Cluckin' Good Oyster Shell Supplement for Chickens and Ducks Feed for Chickens
- Kalmbach® Feeds Organic Layer Feed With Omegga Chicken Feed
- Kalmbach Feeds® All Natural Poultry Block Chicken Food
- Modesto® Milling Organic, Non-GMO Layer Crumbles for Chickens Chicken Feed
- Small Pet Select® Garden Goodness Starter Feed Feed for Chickens
- Cluckin’ Good® Organic Scratch 'n Corn for Chickens and Ducks Feed for Chickens
- Certified Organic® 16% Protein Layer Chicken Feed Feed for Chickens
- Purina® Grow Starter/Grower Medicated Feed Crumbles Chicken Food
- Scratch and Peck Feeds® Cluckin’ Good Organic 3-Grain Scratch for Chickens and Ducks Chicken Food
- Kalmbach Feeds® Start Right Medicated Chick Feed Feed for Chickens
- Pampered Chicken® Mama Backyard Chicken Treats for Great Eggs Chicken Feed
- Index Table: Top Rated Chicken Feeds