Chinchillas are adorable, but they have a pretty different idea of what keeping the house nice and clean means.
Especially since they originally spent their time foraging in the wild that they really need to worry about it in the first place.
Now, as the loving owner who adopted this furry creature, you will need to take responsibility and give everything it needs to stay comfortable and have a healthy life.
Materials Used for Chinchilla Beddings
The market offers several materials used in chinchilla beddings. However, not all of them are good for your pet. Below are the most common safe chinchilla beddings which can be found on the market:
- KILN-DRIED PINE SHAVINGS – This is probably the most popular choice among chin owners. Pine shavings on its own are fragrant that contain chemicals and oils which can be toxic to chinchillas’ systems. The process of drying pine in a kiln, however, get rid of these toxins, making the resulting shavings perfectly safe for your pets. In addition, this process is also important in removing other harmful fungi and bugs which may have been lurking in fresh wood.
ASPEN SHAVINGS – Aspen is a finer wood shaving compared to pine. It is great in terms of odor control and absorbency and is also cheaper. The bad news is that it can be very dusty; that’s just how fine it is. Plus, it sticks to everything, particularly fiber.
PAPER SHAVINGS – Paper shaving bed are commonly made from recycled paper and makes an excellent material for chin bedding. It scores high on safety, texture, cost, and the ability to absorb fluid really well. And you also have a plethora of choices to ensure that you get the best one for your pet. When choosing this bedding, you need to avoid bleached or colored option since it can be toxic to your pet.
FLEECE – Another excellent choice for chinchilla bedding, fleece, can be reused several times over, eliminating the need to place regular orders of a new batch of bedding. It is not only absorbent but also super cozy and soft that adds comfort to your fluffy chin.
- When getting fleece, it is recommended that you go with anti-pill fleece since it is guaranteed to remain smooth and soft even after subsequent washes. On the other hand, here are the worst chinchilla bedding materials that you need to avoid at all cost:
CEDAR – Cedar shavings are cheap that makes it tempting to use as your pet’s bedding. But, cedar is highly toxic to chinchillas and can cause liver and respiratory problems, among others, so it is best to stay away.
CORN BEDDING – Corn cob litter is usually advertised as a safe and natural substrate to use for small animals, including chins; however, it should be avoided. If ingested, corn cob bedding may expand and get stuck in your pet’s digestive system, which can lead to internal blockage. In addition, corn cob can also become a breeding ground for harmful bacteria. It rots real quick when wet, which causes bacteria and mold to easily build up. And mold spores can be highly toxic and lead to respiratory and other health issues. Plus, corn cob bedding is not that efficient at soaking up liquids or controlling odor.
CAT LITTER – Most kinds of cat litters are not suitable for chins, especially the clumping or clay-based ones. Cat litters are dusty that can irritate your little chin’s respiratory system. They may also contain scents o chemicals that can harm your pet.
TOWELS – Renowned for being highly absorbent and a popular household staple, towels are pretty much the first thing that a beginner chin owner thinks of if they haven’t yet purchased their first chin bedding. However, this seemingly harmless choice can actually pose a threat to your pet. Thanks to its strings, a curious chin can choke if they decided to chomp on its fluffy and texturized bedding. In addition, loose threads can actually get tangled around their toes and limbs.
Additional Important Factors To Consider
- Odor Control – One function of a chinchilla bedding is to keep everything from smelling poop and urine. Thus, it is important that you get bedding, which can help tone down the odor and improves the scent of your pet’s cage. Most bedding features odor control that usually uses baking soda in order to neutralize odor and ammonia.
Lack of Fragrance – Even though you want to control odor, you should never go with beddings that have added fragrance. Added natural oils or scented chemicals can cause serious health issues to your pets when inhaled, and some can be very toxic and fatal to chinchillas.
Absorbency – Another thing that makes a good chinchilla bedding is absorbency. And the more absorbent the bedding is, the better it is in keeping your pet’s cage nice and clean. Absorbing spilled water, urine, and excess moisture will ensure that your chin’s habitat will stay free of fungi, bacteria, and odors.
Padding – Chins have quite delicate feet. And their bedding is what shields those tiny feet from the rough bottom of their cage, regardless of what their cage is made of. Thus, in order to ensure that your pet’s feet are out of harm, you need to look for soft bedding that doesn’t have rough or sharp particles. Coarse and rough bedding can cause bruises and wounds on your chin’s feet.
Low in Dust – Although chinchillas are quite known for enjoying their own dust baths, it does not mean that they like dusty bedding. Dusty beddings can harm your pet’s respiratory system. Plus, it gives you a headache when it is time to clean up and replaces your pet’s bedding.
Eco-friendly – Unless you are going with a fleece bedding, you will definitely end up using a lot of litter throughout your chinchilla’s life. Thus, it is important that you get a litter that has less impact on Mother Earth. Most beddings are made of biodegradable and sustainable materials, which should have a minimal effect on the environment. Not only that, but some bedding are also compostable, which allows you to use it as a free fertilizer in your garden.
Quantity – Since you will need chinchilla bedding on a regular basis, then you will have to consider buying larger bulks for those small discounts. However, before you do that, you need to test out the product first and see how your chinchilla likes it. Try it out for a few days, and if your chin likes its bedding and looks comfortable, only then can you go and get larger bulks to save money.
Reviews: Best Chinchilla Beddings 2020
Below we have some of the best options in bedding for Chinchillas
- Coming on top of our list is this small pet bedding from Carefresh that boasts over 2,000 reviews on Amazon.
- This natural variety of bedding is made from scratch using 100 percent natural and raw fiber that is obtained directly from its source.
- It features a pillowy softness that ensures to keep your pet’s delicate feet safe and comfortable.
- It keeps your pet’s cage clean and dry and is 2 times more absorbent than shavings. In addition, it keeps your pet’s cage smelling fresh and clean with its superior 10-day odor control system.
For your convenience, the bedding is also low on dust, making it easier to clean and much better for your pet’s respiratory system.
- Carefresh offers this pet bedding in various sizes, including 14L, 30L, 60L, or a 56L bundle pack, so you can choose the right amount for your pet’s needs.
- This original version of aspen shavings from reputable company Living World is made 100 percent of natural aspen wood and is an ideal bedding material for small pets such as chinchillas, ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, and gerbils.
- In addition, the shavings are hypoallergenic, which makes it an ideal choice for those sensitive small pets that are prone to respiratory problems.
- In order to keep your pet’s cage clean and dry, this aspen shaving can absorb up to 4 times its weight in moisture and keeps odor at bay.
- Not only that, but this bedding material also doubles as nesting and burrowing material for your small pets.
- Available in 41L, this chinchilla bedding has an expanded volume of a 2500-cubic inch.
- Healthy Pet offers reliable pet bedding featuring materials from reclaimed wood pulp that is completely safe for your pet and to the environment.
- It is biodegradable and compostable after use. Moreover, the bedding also encourages your pet’s burrowing instinct and offers a warm nest for resting.
- For maintaining your pet’s cage, this natural pet bedding from Healthy Pet helps control odor and suppresses ammonia caused by your chin’s urine.
- In addition, its tiny pieces are designed to absorb at least 3 times its weight in liquids from leaky water bottles and urine, keeping your pet’s home clean and dry.
- And since the bedding is virtually dust-free, you and your pet will experience less allergy or respiratory issues as well as an easy to clean habitat.
- To ensure your pet’s delicate feet are safe, this bedding does not have coarse or rough pieces and is actually soft to the touch, keeping your pet comfortable and cozy.
- The Kaytee Clean & Cozy Small Pet Bedding maybe Amazon’s Choice for “Hamster Bedding,” but it also makes comfortable bedding for chinchillas, rabbits, guinea pigs, and other small animals.
- This reliable pet bedding is super soft and fluffy that it won’t harm your pet’s delicate feet and encourage the natural nesting and burrowing behavior of most small animals.
- Featuring long recycled fiber strands, this bedding can absorb up to 2 times more liquid than wood shavings, keeping your chinchilla’s cage clean and dry.
- In addition, it also helps in controlling odor, so that your pet will live in a fresh and hygienic environment.
- It is also guaranteed to be 99 percent dust-free, preventing allergy and respiratory issues as well as making it easier for you to clean your pet’s cage.
- Furthermore, the bright white color of the bedding also allows spot cleaning and quick removal of stained pieces, so you do not have to remove all the bedding at once and keep the cage cleaner.
- Kaytee offers this small pet bedding in 4 sizes— 12.3L, 24.6L, 49.2L, and 85L— so you can choose the right amount for your chinchilla’s bedding needs.
- Boasting a 4.3-star rating on Amazon, this premium paper bedding from reliable company Small Pet Select is another favorite among small pet owners.
- Made from pure unbleached paper that has never been printed on, this paper bedding does not contain any harmful residues and is super safe for your delicate chinchilla.
- Designed specifically for small animals such as chinchillas, rabbits, hamsters, and guinea pigs, this bedding provides a comfortable and soft environment that encourages nesting and burrowing behavior.
- It is super absorbent and helps control odor, keeping your pet’s cage clean, dry, and smelling fresh.
- In addition, it contains no dyes and no additives and is 99 percent dust-free, so there will be no respiratory or allergy issues.
- The bedding is available in different sizes, including 56L and 178L, and comes in tightly compressed bags that yield high volume and expands up to 3 times its packaged sized.
- Boasting a 4.4-star rating, this paper bedding for small animals from Fresh News is an Amazon’s Choice. It is made from recycled paper, which is completely safe for your pet and for the environment.
- It is biodegradable and can be composted or incinerated after use.
- Featuring baking soda, this bedding quickly eliminates odors on contact, keeping your chin’s habitat fresh and clean for longer.
- In addition, it has high absorbency that helps in keeping your pet’s cage clean by absorbing urine, spilled liquids, and moisture.
- With its cozy and soft texture, this pet bedding is super comfy to your pet’s delicate feet and encourage your pet’s burrowing and nesting instincts.
- In addition, the paper bedding is virtually dust-free, so you do not have to worry about respiratory or allergy problems.
- Vitakraft offers good and reliable bedding that is made from 100 percent recycled, unbleached paper free of chemical, making it totally safe for your pet and to the environment.
- It features a baking-soda free formula that helps control odors for up to 14 days.
- In addition, this bedding can absorb up to 3 times its weight, keeping your pet’s cage clean and dry for longer.
- Featuring soft paper crumbles, this bedding won’t harm your chinchilla’s delicate fee and help encourage natural burrowing and nesting behavior.
- Being 99.5 percent dust-free, this bedding won’t cause any respiratory or allergy problems and even make it easier and convenient for you when cleaning your pet’s cage.
- Proudly made in the USA, the Fresh World bedding is available in 2 sizes— 975 cu.in. and 2,130 cu.in— and is completely biodegradable and compostable after use.
- Reputable company Kaytee offer their all-natural aspen shaving bedding that is suitable and safe for small animals such as chinchillas, bunny, guinea pigs, ferrets, and more.
- The aspen shavings are specially processed to help eliminate wood debris and dust that are found in other bedding and cause respiratory and allergy issues.
- The bedding is completely free of inks or aromatic oil, as well as artificial colors or additives that can be toxic and harmful to your furry friend.
- This bedding also keeps your pet’s cage clean and dry for longer with its high absorbency rate and helps control odor for days.
- This pet bedding from Kaytee is available in various sizes— 4 cu ft., 8 cu ft., 1,200 cu in., and 3,200 cu in.— so you can choose the right amount for your pet’s needs.
- If you are tired of buying paper or wood bedding every now and then and wants to save money, why not use a fleece bedding instead.
- This bestselling fleece cage liner is mainly advertised for guinea pigs; however, it is also suitable for other small animals, including chinchillas.
- Made from non-toxic bamboo fiber, this fleece liner is highly absorbent and is able to take up to 3 times its weight in liquid. It helps absorb moisture and urine away from the fleece layer in order to keep it clean and your pet’s feet dry and cozy.
- In addition, its soft fabric also helps prevent unwanted injuries or cuts on your chinchilla’s sensitive feet.
- It features a diamond pattern in order to prevent the middle absorbent layers from shifting. The fleece bedding also has a built-in pocket that allows your little chinchilla to burrow to its heart’s content.
- Since it is made of bamboo, it has natural antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties to reduce the chance of diseases and health issues. In addition, such properties also help in reducing odor buildup.
- The fleece is also 100 percent biodegradable, so you can reuse and repurpose it as you want.
- Safe for use in all small animal habitats, the So Phresh Paper pellets features powerful baking soda that helps eliminate baking soda and control odor, leaving your pet’s cage clean and smelling fresh.
- The natural paper pellet also helps lock in moisture and provides a dry and cozy environment for your chinchilla.
- Made from 100 percent recycled paper that won’t break apart even wet, this bedding makes it super quick and easy for you to clean your pet’s habitat.
- If you need bedding with a strong odor control system, then this one from the reputable company Kaytee is your best bet.
- The Clean and Cozy Extreme Odor Control can give you up to 14-day odor control, keeping your pet’s cage hygienic and smelling fresh.
- It features a fluffy and soft material that is gentle on your pet’s feet and encourages healthy nesting and burrowing.
- In addition, the bedding can absorb up to 6 times its weight in liquid, ensuring that your pet will have a dry and clean environment.
- What’s more, is that Kaytee promises it to be 99 percent dust-free to prevent respiratory and allergy problems as well as making it easier for you to clean and maintain your pet’s cage.
- Another reputable company that offers small pet supplies, Oxbow formulated this particular bedding for your small pet’s ultimate comfort.
- Made from pure, unbleached, and never-printed paper, this bedding has no toxic residues or chemicals, making it completely safe for your delicate chins.
- It is super safe and fluffy to the touch that it does not harm or injure your pet’s sensitive feet and also stimulate your pet’s natural burrowing and nesting activity.
- For keeping a hygienic and clean cage, the bedding quickly absorbs urine, water spills, and moisture, minimizing pet odors caused by ammonia.
- Since it is made of paper, this bedding is also guaranteed to be 99.9 percent dust-free, so you do not have to worry about allergic issues or respiratory problems to you and your adorable pet.
- In addition, the bedding being dustless also means that it is easier to clean for your convenience.
Providing your chin with soft and safe bedding is essential for its comfort. Not only that, it significantly helps in controlling odor and absorbing urine, spilled liquids, and moisture, ultimately preventing your chin’s cage from smelling like a sewer.
And the above list of the best chinchilla beddings ensure a hygienic environment for your adorable chin and keeps them perfectly healthy and happy for the rest of their cute life.
Index Table: Top Rated Chinchilla Bedding
Table of Contents
- Materials Used for Chinchilla Beddings
- Additional Important Factors To Consider
- Reviews: Best Chinchilla Beddings 2020
- CareFresh® Natural Complete Comfort Care Small Pet Bedding Chinchilla’s Bedding
- Living World® Aspen Shaving Bedding Bedding For Chinchillas
- Healthy Pet® Critter Care Pet Bedding Chinchilla Bedding
- Kaytee® Clean and Cozy Small Pet Bedding Bedding For Chinchillas
- Small Pet Select® Premium Paper Bedding Bedding For Chinchillas
- Fresh News® Small Animal Paper Bedding Chinchilla’s Bedding
- Vitakraft® Fresh World Ultra Strength Super Soft Crumbles Chinchilla Bedding
- Kaytee® All-Natural Aspen Small Pet Bedding Chinchilla’s Bedding
- GuineaDad® Fleece Liner 2.0 Bedding For Chinchillas
- So Phresh® Small Animal Paper Bedding Bedding For Chinchillas
- Kaytee® Clean and Cozy Extreme Odor Control Bedding For Chinchillas
- Oxbow® Pure Comfort Small Animal Bedding Chinchilla Bedding
- Index Table: Top Rated Chinchilla Bedding