Chinchillas are the best— they are cute, fluffy with a thick, soft coat and playful personality. However, taking care of them can be quite different than other rodents, particularly on their diet.
Chinchillas have a very strict diet since they have a really sensitive stomach and may become ill easily if they are fed the wrong food type.
So, if you are on the market to get the best chinchilla foods, you need to pay extra care and choose only the right foods to feed.
Important Factor To Consider
Chins are herbivores. So, they would only want plant-based foods. And they only eat particular types of foods for them to be happy and healthy. So, here is a guide on what makes the best food to feed for your chinchillas.
Chinchilla foods come in a variety of forms. These include:
- PELLETS – This is probably the most common form of food for chinchillas. Pellets are formulated to have all the nutrients that your fluffy friend needs. You can easily get them in any local pet stores or online stores.
- LOOSE FEED MIXTURE – When choosing a loose mixture, you need to get the ones that are specially formulated for chinchillas. This type of food can occasionally be fed to your chin as a treat since most chins tend only to choose the tastiest pieces and leave the rest. Thus your pet won’t get all the nutrients needed.
- HAY – Made from dried grass, hay is an essential meal in your chin’s diet, and you will need to provide a variety of good-quality hay. Chins require hay and grass since they need to wear down their teeth to grow throughout their lives to prevent dental problems continuously. Also, hay offers a high amount of fiber, which is good for your pet’s digestive health. When choosing hay, you need to ensure that it is safe and always fresh.
- Timothy Hay – The most popular hay among small animals, timothy hay, comes in 3 cuts that vary whether you have a picky eater or not. It is high in fiber with low amounts of proteins.
- Alfalfa Hay – Suitable for the pregnant, sick, young, and nursing chinchillas, alfalfa hay is bright-green in color with a sweet taste and high nutrient content. It can also be fed to healthy chinchillas as an occasional treat.
- Orchard Grass – This is leafy hay with green to bluish leaves depending on its maturity. It is low in protein and really high in fiber.
- Oat Hay – Brownish in color, oat hay is a good fiber source with low protein content. However, you need to feed oat hay carefully since it comes with oat heads.
The age of your chin should also be considered when picking out their food. Growing chins will need more food with high protein content in general since they need it to grow. Fortunately, some specialty chinchilla foods are specifically made for the young chins with these needs in mind.
Nutrition and Ingredients
You also need to consider the nutrition content of the food to know if it is suitable for your pet’s sensitive body. Adult chins need food that has 20 percent or more fiber, 2 – 5 percent fat, and 16 – 20 percent protein.
Also, you will need to choose a chinchilla food with only natural and high-quality ingredients. Stay away from added sugars since they can be fatal for your furry friend, particularly if consumed daily. It can cause diseases like diabetes and hypoglycemia, as well as dental issues.
Consider those without added preservatives such as coloring and fillers, which don’t do any good on your chin’s overall health.
Chins have sensitive taste buds; thus, some can be a picky eater and only wants tasty foods. You will want to read the reviews from other owners on how their chins responded to the product.
Consider ordering only a small quantity first and see if your chin actually likes it.
You want your chinchilla always to have fresh food. Thus, the packaging of the food should also be considered. Resealable bags keep the food fresher for longer and maintain a longer lifespan of the food without causing it to catch any pests or bacteria.
Although the brand is certainly not everything, it usually tells you about the food’s quality. Cheaper food made by an unknown brand is cheaper since they lack quality and healthy ingredients and filled with fillers, resulting in malnutrition.
On the other hand, reputable brands have a lot more on the line if their pet foods are not well-received. Thus, it is generally a better idea to go with chinchilla foods made from established brands.
The Top 13 Best Chinchilla Foods 2020
Choosing the right food for your chin can be quite confusing, with hundreds of products to choose from.
So, to make it easier for you, we listed some of the best and most nutritious chinchilla foods available in the market today!
- Boasting a 4.5-star rating on Amazon, the Tropical Carnival Chinchilla Gourmet Food is Amazon’s Choice for “Chinchilla Food.”
- It is a vitamin and nutrient fortified that is specially formulated for the daily needs of chinchillas.
- This chinchilla food contains a variety of ingredients that will encourage your pet’s natural foraging instincts. It has natural fruits, including pineapple, kiwi, papaya, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries filled with antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
- Meanwhile, crispy natural pecans, almonds, and filberts are full of nutrients while encouraging chewing activity.
- Also, fresh veggies like green flake peas and sweet potatoes are loaded with natural antioxidants and vitamins.
- It also has rose petals, sunflower seeds, and raisins for added variety. For good digestion, it also includes high fiber timothy and alfalfa hay pellets.
- This food offers great variety without preservatives, artificial flavors, and synthetic colorings that can harm your pet.
- Encourage natural foraging behavior.
- Promotes good dental health.
- Rich variety.
- No preservatives, artificial flavors, and colors.
- High fiber.
- Dried raisins have high sugar content.
- The Kaytee Timothy Complete for chinchillas was developed and formulated by animal nutrition experts to ensure that your furry friend will get the right nutrition they need for a healthy and long life.
- The Timothy Complete is a pelleted chinchilla food made from fiber-rich Timothy hay that is hand-selected to ensure that it contains all the essential nutrients and vitamins needed by your chins.
- Naturally preserved for ideal freshness, this chinchilla food contains probiotics and prebiotics that aid in digestion and contains no sugary fruits or loose seeds that can cause dental issues.
- Its pelleted form also helps support good dental health by encouraging your pet’s natural chewing behavior.
- Reputable company.
- Hand-selected Timothy hay.
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics.
- No sugary fruits and loose seeds.
- Support good dental health.
- Contains Molasses.
- The VitaNature Natural Chinchilla Formula from Vitakraft is a delicious, high-variety diet consisting of the key nutrients that your furry chinchilla needs.
- The formula contains natural herbs, flowers, and greens with a good mixture of berries, grains, vegetables, and pelleted hays that provides a nutritionally complete diet while encouraging your furry friend’s natural foraging instincts.
- This chinchilla food is loaded with antioxidants to promote a good immune system.
- The formula contains 3 percent fat, 15 percent fiber, and 16 percent protein, making it suitable for the younger chins who need more protein with their growing bodies.
- The product is also free of chemical-based compounds, added preservatives, artificial colorings, and synthetic flavorings, making it safe and healthy for your adorable pet.
- Variety of healthy ingredients.
- Promotes natural foraging behavior.
- Appealing taste.
- No artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- Less protein and fibers.
- The Oxbow Essentials Chinchilla food is specially formulated to meet your furry friend’s unique nutritional needs and keep them healthy.
- This pelleted chinchilla food is made of alfalfa hay rich in fiber to help maintain a good digestive function. Also, the pellets are enriched with vitamins E, D3, and A and phosphorus.
- Also, the pelleted form supports your pet’s dental health by encouraging natural chewing behavior.
- Nutritionally speaking, these pellets contains 2.5 percent fat, 20 percent fiber, and 18 percent protein, putting it right within the chin’s dietary requirements.
- This pelleted chinchilla food is also free of fillers, preservatives, and artificial flavors, making it safe and healthy for your pet’s daily meals. It is also affordable and loved by most chinchilla owners.
- Free of fillers, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
- Tasty and attractive texture.
- Aligned with chinchilla’s specific dietary requirements.
- Encourage good dental health.
- Some chinchillas don’t like it.
- A high fiber diet that encourages your pet’s foraging instincts, the Charlie Chinchilla Food from SupremePetFoods, is a nutritious blend of healthy snacks and ingredients that make the feeding time fun and active.
- With various ingredients, this 2-pound bag of chinchilla food contains carrots, peas, raisins, maize, soya, oats, wheat, and even alfalfa hay and grass pellets.
- It even contains linseed, which makes your chin’s fur and skin shiny and healthy, as well as aiding in digestion and good heart and brain functioning.
- This chinchilla food blend contains no added sugar that can cause dental issues and other diseases. And does not have sunflower seeds or peanuts, which can contribute too much fat to your pet’s diet.
- Variety of ingredients that encourage foraging behavior.
- Promotes a shiny and healthy coat and skin.
- Does not contain peanuts and sunflower seeds.
- High in fiber for good digestion.
- The blend contains more treats than healthy ingredients that chinchillas crave, leaving all the healthy pieces.
- Designed for all life stages, the Mazuri Chinchilla Diet is formulated to be nutritionally complete so that you won’t be needing any supplementation.
- It comes in pellets, which encourage natural chewing behaviors and suitable for young to old chinchillas.
- Sweet-smelling and highly palatable, this chinchilla food features Timothy hay fiber and live probiotics— Enterococcus sp and Lactobacillus— that aids in digestion and promotes good gastrointestinal health.
- It also features flaxseeds that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids that support shiny and healthy skin and fur, as well as good brain and eye health.
- Boating 3 percent fat, 18 percent fiber, and 20 percent protein, this food formula is specifically suitable for the young chinchillas that are still growing.
- Formulated for all life stages.
- Pelleted form for natural chewing behaviors.
- Supports healthy and shiny fur and skin.
- Contains flaxseed for good eye and brain health.
- Contains probiotics for good digestion.
- Does not provide enough ingredients for pregnant or nursing chinchillas.
- Chinchillas, like any other pets, love treats! And Amazon’s Chinchilla Food1 Best Seller in “Small Animal Treats” with over 1,000 reviews, the Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked with Apple is a tasty treat you can give your fluffy friend.
- Ideal for bonding and playtime, these apple treats support good dental health through your pet’s natural chewing activity.
- The treat tastes of real sun-cured molasses, apples and timothy hay that is suitable for small pets such as chinchillas, hamster, and rabbits.
- The treat promotes good digestion with the hand-selected and naturally-grown timothy hay and is super easy to feed to your pet, keeping them occupied.
- Also, it contains no added preservatives or added flavors, making it one of the healthiest treats out there.
- Tasty treat.
- Promotes good digestion.
- Hand-selected and naturally-grown timothy hay.
- No added flavors and preservatives.
- Contains molasses.
- Chinchillas require high fiber in their diet. This is why Vitakraft created this specially formulated chinchilla food that is enriched with fiber.
- Based on Timothy hay, this product is loaded with fiber so that your fluffy friend will never experience any issues with their digestive systems.
- The formula also contains a good amount of omega-3 fatty acids, which is essential for healthy eyes, brain, and heart and maintaining a shiny and healthy coat and skin.
- The pellets also use grains and veggies enriched with vitamins E, D, C, and A, as well as strands of timothy hay to encourage chewing and foraging activity, keeping your chin healthy and satisfied.
- Contains high-fiber for good digestion.
- Promotes a healthy and shiny coat.
- Good for the eyes, heart, and brain.
- Enriched with vitamins.
- Encourage foraging activity.
- High number of treats that some chinchillas ignore everything else.
- If your chin loves eating a varied diet, then this gourmet blend from Higgins Sunburst ensures meeting such requirements while providing optimum nutrition.
- It consists of assorted all-natural veggies, fruits, and nuts, which encourage your pet’s natural foraging instincts and keeps them active.
- The nutritious blend helps boost your pet’s immunity since it is loaded with minerals, vitamins, and amino acids. It also features probiotics that helps in good digestion.
- Not only that, but the Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Blend is also fortified with DHA omega-3 that adds luster and shine to your chin’s coat and skin.
- The pelleted form and dried, hard ingredients, as well as strands of hay, also encourages your chinchillas’ natural chewing activity and promote good dental health.
- This chinchilla food is free of artificial flavors and preservatives and comes in a resealable bag to ensure the food’s freshness and longevity.
- Assorted all-natural fruits, veggies, and nuts.
- Includes probiotics for healthy digestion.
- Promotes a shiny and healthy coat and skin.
- Dried and hard ingredients promote good dental health.
- Free of artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Comes in a resealable bag.
- Encourages natural foraging activity.
- Some chinchillas pick up their favorite pieces and ignore the rest.
- Another high-quality chinchilla food from reputable company Kaytee, these three 2.5 pound bags of Kaytee Fiesta Chinchilla Food is specifically formulated to support the health and dietary needs of your adorable chinchillas.
- The blend consists of various ingredients that encourage your pet’s natural foraging behavior.
- Made of premium blends of grains, seeds, veggies, and fruits such as sunflowers, carrots, and dried bananas, this chinchilla food has various colors, shapes, and textures that encourage your chin to dig in and look for his favorite piece.
- Also, the different textures and shapes support good dental health through natural chewing activity.
- This nutritionally-fortified gourmet diet for chinchillas contains probiotics and prebiotics that support your pet’s digestive health. It is also enriched with antioxidants for general health and immune support.
- Furthermore, omega-3 and DHA are added to the formula to support good eye and heart health and brain activity.
- Kaytee also used a resealable bag to preserve the food’s freshness and taste to keep your pet happy and contented.
- Contains a premium blend of veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
- Different shapes and textures encourage natural chewing activity.
- Formulated with probiotics and prebiotics for good digestive health.
- Enriched with antioxidants.
- Support food eye and heart health.
- Comes in a resealable bag.
- Some chinchillas pick up their favorite pieces and ignore the rest.
- Another great-tasting treat for your spoiled chinchilla, the Vitakraft Chinchilla Cocktail Amazon’s Choice for “Chinchilla Treats and Chews.” It is a combination of fresh fruits, berries, and sweet flowers that will make your adorable pet wanting more.
- It also contains ash berries, ground corn, dried rice, oats, raising, dried rose hips, puffed wheat, carob pods, and alfalfa pellets that keep your pet active and encourage foraging instincts.
- All ingredients are natural, and organic made from real fruits and veggies and contains all the necessary vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for your pet’s overall well-being and health.
- The tasty variety is super easy for your chin to digest and is quite irresistible for your fluffy friend. Furthermore, the product is completely free of artificial colors and flavors, so it is safe and healthy for your chins.
- High variety of ingredients that encourage foraging behavior.
- Mixture of real, natural veggies and fruits.
- Rich in minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Free of artificial flavors and colors.
- Some chinchillas completely ignore several food pieces.
- In terms of pelleted food for your adorable chinchillas, it is hard to find pellets that are nutritionally balanced and healthy as this one from SupremePetFoods.
- The Science Selective Chinchilla Diet was given careful thought and consideration when formulated to meet chinchillas’ specific dietary needs.
- In terms of nutritional content, this chinchilla food has 3 percent fat, 19 percent fiber, and 16 percent protein, which falls right into chinchilla’s dietary requirements.
- Also, it contains limited ingredients but extremely wholesome and natural, focusing on wheat, soy hulls, and alfalfa.
- The blend contains no artificial colors or added sugars, so it is safe and healthy for your fluffy friend. It supports good digestive health with the high-fiber content and helps maintain a healthy and shiny coat and skin.
- Naturally balanced and healthy.
- Formulated to meet chinchillas’ specific dietary requirements.
- Contains limited but whole and natural ingredients.
- No artificial colors and added sugars.
- Supports good digestive health.
- Maintains a shiny and healthy coat and skin.
- Does not come with any additional fortifiers.
- Boasting a 5-star rating on Amazon, the ZuPreem Nature’s Promise Premium Chinchilla Food takes place on our list.
- This 3-pound pelleted chinchilla food is made of high-fiber Timothy hay, specifically formulated for adult chinchillas with essential vitamins and minerals to help support good digestive health.
- In addition to timothy hay, the pellets are also formulated with flaxseeds and Vitamin E that helps maintain shiny and great-looking coat and skin.
- The pelleted form also ensures your pet’s good dental health through natural chewing behavior.
- To ensure that the food is totally safe and natural as it can be, the manufacturers have tested the blend against pesticides and made it with weed-free timothy hay.
- The chinchilla food is also free of harmful ingredients such as added preservatives and artificial coloring and flavor, making it totally safe and healthy for your fluffy chinchilla to enjoy.
- Highly rated product.
- High fiber for good digestion.
- Promotes shiny and fluffy coat and healthy skin.
- Pelleted form ensures good dental health.
- Tested against pesticides.
- No preservatives and artificial flavors.
- Does not contain any treats, and some chinchillas completely ignore it.
Chins are adorable and wonderful pets to have. However, their diet can be quite a headache with their sensitive digestive system and picky eating habits!
So, when confused and overwhelmed with the hundreds of chinchilla foods available in the market today, consider the ones from our above list. They are among the best and most nutritious foods on the market that will surely keep your fluffy pet happy and healthy.
Index Table: Top Rated Chinchilla Foods
|1||Tropical Carnival Gourmet Food Chinchilla Fortified Daily Diet - Healthy Chinchilla Food||Tropical Carnival||98.6|
|2||Kaytee Timothy Complete Pelleted - Chinchilla Food||Kaytee||98|
|3||Vitakraft VitaNature Natural Chinchilla Formula - Food for Chinchillas||Vitakraft||95.8|
|4||Oxbow Essentials - Chinchilla Food||Oxbow||97.6|
|5||SupremePetFoods Charlie Chinchilla - Chinchilla Food||SupremePetFoods||97.4|
|6||Mazuri Chinchilla Diet - Healthy Chinchilla Food||Mazuri||96.7|
|7||Kaytee Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treats - Treat for Chinchillas||Kaytee||97|
|8||Vitakraft VitaSmart High Fiber Timothy Formula - Healthy Chinchilla Food||Vitakraft||96.2|
|9||Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Blend - Chinchilla Food||Higgins||97.6|
|10||Kaytee Fiesta - Chinchilla Food||Kaytee||97.8|
|11||Vitakraft Chinchilla Cocktail - Chinchilla Food||Vitakraft||96.5|
|12||SupremePetFoods Science Selective Fortified Diet For Chinchillas - Food for Chinchillas||SupremePetFoods||97.2|
|13||ZuPreem Nature’s Promise Premium - Food for Chinchillas||ZuPreem Nature’s||95.8|
Table of Contents
- Important Factor To Consider
- The Top 13 Best Chinchilla Foods 2020
- Tropical Carnival® Gourmet Food Chinchilla Fortified Daily Diet Healthy Chinchilla Food
- Kaytee® Timothy Complete Pelleted Chinchilla Food
- Vitakraft® VitaNature Natural Chinchilla Formula Food for Chinchillas
- Oxbow® Essentials Chinchilla Food
- SupremePetFoods® Charlie Chinchilla Chinchilla Food
- Mazuri® Chinchilla Diet Healthy Chinchilla Food
- Kaytee® Timothy Biscuits Baked Apple Treats Treat for Chinchillas
- Vitakraft® VitaSmart High Fiber Timothy Formula Healthy Chinchilla Food
- Higgins® Sunburst Gourmet Blend Chinchilla Food
- Kaytee® Fiesta Chinchilla Food
- Vitakraft® Chinchilla Cocktail Chinchilla Food
- SupremePetFoods® Science Selective Fortified Diet For Chinchillas Food for Chinchillas
- ZuPreem Nature’s® Promise Premium Food for Chinchillas
- Index Table: Top Rated Chinchilla Foods