Ferrets are entertaining and brilliant little animals with a friendly and playful nature.
Ferrets need a proper Cage spacious with plenty of entertainment to keep them busy.
This article looks at some of the most popular and best Ferret cages.
Why Your Ferret Needs a Proper Cage
Before we look into the right cage for your Ferret, let me first explain why you need a certain type of cage.
Ferrets are quite big sleepers. They sleep for almost 18-20 hours a day. The 4-6 hours they are awake are very playful and energetic and require much stimulation to jump around, climb, and dig.
The Cage should be large enough with plenty of toys for awake time and a comfortable and spacious sleeping area.
Ferrets should never be left unattended outside of their cage as they can get very playful in a short time, as well as potentially harm themselves.
How to Choose the Best Ferret Cage
When choosing a cage for your Ferret or Ferrets, here are the main considerations to take to heart;
- How Many Ferrets will You Have – For a single Ferret, a 91 cm long, 61 cm wide, and 61 cm high is acceptable, yet you need to do so for two or more to increase the size of the cage. Ensure the number of Ferrets you want to keep long before deciding on a Cage. And remember, bigger is always better, depending on your budget.
- Safety and Security – Ferrets are master escape artists and can open gates and doors on a cage. Ensure that fasteners and locks on the doors are secure and not easy to open. Ferrets can also fit through very narrow spaces, so check for large openings. To prevent their feet from getting hurt and stuck, always opt for a cage with a solid bottom and no grids.
- What Does a Ferret Need in Their Cage – Ferrets do everything separately. Therefore they need different levels for sleeping, eating, playing, and pooping. You will generally need hammocks or hanging cubes for sleeping, fixed food and water bowls or bottles, a litter tray usually at the bottom of the cage, and plenty of stimulating toys and tunnels.
- Setting Up Your Ferret Cage – In the below video, you will see more clearly what you need to place in your Ferret’s cage and how to set it up.
Features of a Good Cage for Ferrets
- Size – The Cage should be at least 91cm wide, 61cm tall and 61 cm in length. This is only for a single Ferret. The bars must be spaced less than 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. There are different cage options with single levels or more levels, some even having up to six levels. The more the cage levels, the better the design, as this allows for a sleeping space, eating space, play space, and poop space in different areas for the Ferret. It is also much better for them to get plenty of exercises.
- Levels – look for different Levels in the cage as well as ladders for climbing.
- Safety – Latches and Locks should be secure and not easy to open for a Ferret. Also, look for a solid bottom tray that will not hurt their feet.
- Accessories – A heavy food bowl, water bottle, and litter pan are your basics. Then there can be soft cubes and hammocks or blankets, plastic, and other toys included.
Reviews: The Best Ferret Cages
Looking for the best available Cage for your Ferret, well then look no further than our comprehensive list;
The Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation Cage is the perfect size and design for more than one Ferrets.
- You can choose between a single or double story and get the unit’s add-on if you need it.
- The cage comes with a leak-proof pan, adjustable shelves, and ramps for climbing.
- The cage is ideal for various animals, including ferrets, and has a large and spacious design.
- Assembly is quick and easy, and no tools are required.
The Prevue Hendryx Feisty Ferret Cage is designed specifically for Ferrets.
- There are different styles and color options available in this cage you can select.
- The large hinged doors offer easy access and are escape-proof.
- There is also a space-saving shelf underneath for storing food and toys.
- The cage comes with two plastic platforms, three plastic ramps, and hammock, and a grille.
From Kaytee, we have the My First Home range, a great starter cage for your Ferret.
- The Deeper Scatter-less base is straightforward to clean and maintain.
- The cage provides multiple playing levels and includes safety ramps, a hammock, a spiral slide, and adjustable tab locks for security.
- There are also colorful tubes, and the overall cage is colorful and fun.
- The latches are chew-proof and escape-proof.
The Aluora is a wooden Ferret cage with a very modern and stylish appeal, which will suit any home décor.
- This is a wooden cage made from natural Fir wood and Plexi-Glass.
- Firwood is well known for its rot resistance and safety for pets.
- The Plexi-Glass offers you a clear view of your pet.
- The cage comes with ramps and platforms, as well as a hole to place a water bottle.
The PawHut H6 Level is an indoor ferret cage with a stand and wheels.
- You can choose from the white or black color option in this cage.
- The cage comes on a stand with wheels for easy portability.
- The deluxe cage has 6 levels and comes with ramps and platforms.
- The removable tray is quick and easy to clean.
- The cage is manufactured from high-quality materials.
From Topeakmart, we have another 6 level cage option fr multiple Ferrets.
- There are two color options available from which you can select.
- The cage is very durable and sturdy and comes with a stand and wheels.
- There are six levels with ramps and platforms inside the cage.
- The slide-out tray underneath is very secure and easy to clean.
- The Doors offer easy access and secure escape-proof closures.
- From Mcage, we have a four-level extra large cage for your ferrets.
- The cage has a durable design with non-toxic elegant epoxy paint.
- The cage is ideal for baby and larger ferrets because of the tighter wire spacing.
- It comes with a removable stand and four heavy-duty casters for transportation.
- There is a bottom shelf on the cage where you can store food and accessories.
- This is a three-tier Cat Cage which makes it more spacious and ideal for more than one Ferret.
- The cage comes on wheels for portability and is also collapsible.
- The casters have brakes so that you can set the cage wherever you need it.
- There is an easy cleaning litter tray at the bottom and two large cabinet styles front doors at the cage’s top and bottom.
- The cage has a finished metal mesh structure that is high quality and durable.
- A huge and healthy living space with a two-story design for your Ferrets.
- The Two-story cage comes with all accessories and extras you need to get started.
- Included are a water bottle, litter pan, food dish, two adjustable play tubes, two ramps, three adjustable platforms, and a fun hammock for lounging.
- The cage allows for easy access with a door on each level and is similarly very easy to clean.
- There will be a quick setup with full instructions included.
- The cage also has wheels and casters for easy transportation.
- A cozy four-level extra large pet cage that is ideal for ferrets and similar-sized animals.
- The cage comes with no-fuss assembly and is already assembled with only connectors and wheels that need to be clipped on.
- The bottom plastic tray slides out easily for cleaning, and the rest of the cage is similarly easy to clean.
- There are four wheels for portability with a lockable roll around, three platforms with three ramps, three doors, and a removable litter tray at the bottom.
Index Table: Top Rated Ferret Cages
|1||Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation - Cage for Ferrets||Midwest||98.7|
|2||Prevue Hendryx - Ferret Cage||Prevue||98|
|3||Kaytee My First Home - Cage for Your Ferret||Kaytee||96|
|4||Aluora Wooden - Indoor Cage for Your Ferret||Aluora||94|
|5||PawHut 57 Inch H - Six Level Ferret Cage||PawHut||97|
|6||Topeakmart Large - Cage for Ferrets||Topeakmart||96.8|
|7||Mcage Large - Wrought Iron Ferret Cage||Mcage||97|
|8||Yaheetech Collapsible - Cat Cage for Ferrets||Yaheetech||97.2|
|9||Ferplast Tower - Two-Story Ferret Cage||Ferplast||96.7|
|10||Songmics 4 Level - Ferret Cage||Songmics||97|
Table of Contents
- Why Your Ferret Needs a Proper Cage
- How to Choose the Best Ferret Cage
- Features of a Good Cage for Ferrets
- Reviews: The Best Ferret Cages
- Midwest® Deluxe Critter Nation Cage for Ferrets
- Prevue® Hendryx Ferret Cage
- Kaytee® My First Home Cage for Your Ferret
- Aluora® Wooden Indoor Cage for Your Ferret
- PawHut® 57 Inch H Six Level Ferret Cage
- Topeakmart® Large Cage for Ferrets
- Mcage® Large Wrought Iron Ferret Cage
- Yaheetech® Collapsible Cat Cage for Ferrets
- Ferplast® Tower Two-Story Ferret Cage
- Songmics® 4 Level Ferret Cage
- Index Table: Top Rated Ferret Cages