Ferrets are entertaining and very intelligent little animals that have a friendly and playful nature.
Ferrets need a proper Cage that is spacious with plenty of entertainment to keep them busy.
In this article, we look at some of the most popular and best Ferret cages.
Why Your Ferret Needs a Proper Cage
Before we look into the right cage for your Ferret, let me first explain why you need a certain type of cage.
Ferrets are quite big sleepers. They sleep for almost 18-20 hours a day. Yet, the 4-6 hours that they are awake, they are very playful and energetic and require much stimulation to jump around, climb, and dig.
The Cage should be large enough with plenty of toys for awake time, and should also have a comfortable and spacious sleeping area.
Ferrets should never be left unattended outside of their cage as they can get up to plenty of mischiefs in a very short time, as well as potentially harm themselves.
How to Choose the Best Ferret Cage
When choosing a cage for your Ferret or Ferrets, here are the main considerations to take to heart;
- How Many Ferrets will You Have – For a single Ferret, a 91 cm long, 61 cm wide and 61 cm high is acceptable, yet for two or more, you need to increase the size of the cage. Make sure on the number of Ferrets you want to keep, long before deciding on a Cage. And remember, bigger is always better, depending on your budget.
- Safety and Security – Ferrets are master escape artists and can open gates and doors on a cage. Make sure that fasteners and locks on the doors are secure and not easy to open. Ferrets can also fit through very narrow spaces, so check for large openings. To prevent their feet from getting hurt and stuck, always opt for a cage with a solid bottom and no grids.
- What Does a Ferret Need in Their Cage – Ferrets do everything separately. Therefore they need different levels for sleeping, eating, playing, and pooping. Generally, you will need hammocks or hanging cubes for sleeping, fixed food and water bowls or bottles, a litter tray usually at the bottom of the cage, and plenty of stimulating toys and tunnels.
- Setting Up Your Ferret Cage – In the below video, you will see more clearly what you need to place in your Ferret’s cage and how to set it up.
Features of a Good Cage for Ferrets
- Size – The Cage should be at least 91cm wide, 61cm tall and 61 cm in length. This is only for a single Ferret. The bars must be spaced less than 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. There are different options in cages with single levels or more levels, some even having up to six levels. The more levels the cage has, the better the design, as this allows for a sleeping space, eating space, play space, and poop space in different areas for the Ferret. It is also much better for them to get plenty of exercise.
- Levels – look for different Levels in the cage as well as ladders for climbing.
- Safety – Latches and Locks should be secure and not easy to open for a Ferret. Also, look for a solid bottom tray that will not hurt their feet.
- Accessories – A heavy food bowl, water bottle, and litter pan are your basics. Then there can be soft cubes and hammocks or blankets, plastic, and other toys included.
Reviews: The Best Ferret Cages
Looking for the best available Cage for your Ferret, well then look no further than our comprehensive list;
The Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation Cage is the perfect size and design for more than one Ferrets.
- You can choose between a single or double story, and also get the add on the unit if you need it.
- The cage comes with a leak-proof pan, adjustable shelves, and ramps for climbing.
- The cage is ideal for various animals, including ferrets, and has a large and spacious design.
- Assembly is quick and easy, and no tools are required.
The Prevue Hendryx Feisty Ferret Cage is designed specifically for Ferrets.
- There are different styles and color options available in this cage from which you can select.
- The large hinged doors offer easy access and are escape-proof.
- There is also a space-saving shelve underneath for storing food and toys.
- The cage comes with two plastic platforms, three plastic ramps, and hammock, and a grille.
From Kaytee, we have the My First Home range, a great starter cage for your Ferret.
- The Deeper Scatter-less base is very easy to clean and maintain.
- The cage provides multiple levels for playing and includes safety ramps, a hammock, spiral slide, and adjustable tab locks for security.
- There are also colorful tubes, and the overall cage is colorful and fun.
- The latches are chew proof and escape-proof.
The Aluora is a wooden Ferret cage with a very modern and stylish appeal to it, which will suit any home décor.
- This is a wooden cage made from natural Fir wood and Plexi-Glass.
- Firwood is well known for its rot resistance and safety for pets.
- The Plexi-Glass offers you a clear view of your pet.
- The cage comes with ramps and platforms, as well as a hole to place a water bottle.
The PawHut H6 Level is an indoor ferret cage that has a stand and wheels included.
- You can choose from the white or black color option in this cage.
- The cage comes on a stand with wheels for easy portability.
- The deluxe cage has 6 levels and comes with ramps and platforms.
- The removable tray is quick and easy to clean.
- The cage is manufactured from high-quality materials.
From Topeakmart, we have another 6 level cage option fr multiple Ferrets.
- There are two color options available from which you can select.
- The entire cage is very durable and sturdy and comes with a stand and wheels.
- There are six levels with ramps and platforms inside the cage.
- The slide-out tray underneath is very secure and easy to clean.
- The Doors offer easy access and secure escape proof closures.
Index Table: Top Rated Ferret Cages
|1||Midwest Deluxe Critter Nation - Cage for Ferrets||Midwest||98.7|
|2||Prevue Hendryx - Ferret Cage||Prevue||98|
|3||Kaytee My First Home - Cage for Your Ferret||Kaytee||96|
|4||Aluora Wooden - Indoor Cage for Your Ferret||Aluora||94|
|5||PawHut 57 Inch H - Six Level Ferret Cage||PawHut||97|
|6||Topeakmart Large - Cage for Ferrets||Topeakmart||96.8|
Table of Contents
- Why Your Ferret Needs a Proper Cage
- How to Choose the Best Ferret Cage
- Features of a Good Cage for Ferrets
- Reviews: The Best Ferret Cages
- Index Table: Top Rated Ferret Cages