When working with horses, you often have problems controlling the irritatingly persistent flies that continue swarming your animals around the area.
They are annoying, but the flies can also be carriers for human and horse-related diseases. When flies land on the horse’s legs, horses tend to stomp hardly, which may cause damage to their legs and feet.
Flies have an enormous bad effect on humans and animals. Their painful bites can make both humans and animals stressful and unpleasant while doing some activities. Additionally, large numbers of flies cause lower weight gains and milk yields.
How to Choose the Best Fly Spray for Horses
After giving you the top-rated and best fly sprays for horses, we will help you choose the suitable fly spray for your horses. Below are important factors to consider to simplify the options for a fly spray.
- Ingredients – The ingredients are obviously what will make the fly spray effective. If you are concerned with chemicals or want a natural repellent, look for essential oils in the ingredients. Also, consider using organic or natural-derived components that are safe for both animals and our environment.
- Dosage of application – If you’re not able to reapply often, go with an oil-based spray, as it will last longer. Most sprays advertise that they will last for up to 14 days; they must have tested the horses in air-conditioned rooms with zero weather conditions to consider. Because in reality, the spray will protect your horse for closer to 2 or 3 days, so regular applications are vital. Water-based sprays make reapplication all the more important, as it does not stay on the coat quite as well.
- Type – If you’re treating more than a few horses, or if you’re regularly applying, you may prefer an aerosol fly spray, as you hold down and let it spray. Traditional spray bottles require constant spraying and often don’t get applied evenly.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This section gives you the most common questions about using fly sprays for their horses. Below you can see the corresponding answers.
What Makes a Fly Spray Works So Well?
Insects and bugs use scents to find things. Some odors attract bugs, and some repel them. Some of the fly sprays in the market have food-grade fatty acids that mimic several repellants smells that animals naturally have on their skin. In this way, the fly sprays’ unique formulations used the insect or bug’s own navigation against itself by overwhelming the system.
What is the Difference Between Oil-Based and Water-Based Fly Sprays?
The advantage of oil-based fly spray is that it is long-lasting, and it will remain for more extended periods of time. On the other hand, the water-based fly spray can be used when you want a non-greasy feeling to your horse’s coat, and it won’t accumulate debris and dirt as much as the oil-based one.
What Essential Oils Repel Horse Flies?
Essential oils are beneficial and considered safe to use, especially when you want to repel horse flies and prevent them from coming into your horses and other animals. These organic ingredients are commonly used in household and skincare products for fragrance and aromatherapy purposes. To minimize flies, check the fly sprays’ ingredients and search for eucalyptus, tea tree, or citronella oils.
What Types of Insects and Pests Will a Fly Spray Repel?
Typically, a fly spray repels and kills mosquitoes, various kinds of flies such as horn flies, stable flies, black flies, deer flies, face flies, barn flies, house flies, and ticks no-see-ums, which cause difficult to treat allergies, and cockroaches. Some recent studies and experiments confirmed very low toxicity to honeybees.
How Often Do I Need to Apply Fly Spray to my Horse?
Most of the best fly sprays in the market are long-lasting. So, you typically need to apply it every one to three days, depending on ambient temperature, fly pressure, and rain. For certain conditions, some veterinarians usually recommend initially treating the horse twice a day until the problem is under control. Some types of fly sprays work by evaporating and creating a repellent vapor barrier. If the horse is sweating, it may evaporate slightly faster.
What is the Best Way to Use Fly Spray to Help My Horse?
Focus on treating the regions that give your horse the most trouble, usually the mane, tailhead, and ventral abdomen. To start, apply a liberal amount until control is achieved. It may be best for an allergic horse to start with twice-a-day treatments focusing on these regions. Sometimes, you can use a soft cloth or mitt, which allows for a more effective way to apply your chosen fly spray.
Can I use the Fly Spray for Dogs, Pigs, and Many Other Animals?
While most fly sprays are effective against ticks, these fly sprays are specifically made and designed for horses and cattle. But some brands formulated fly sprays that can be used by many kinds of animals like dogs and many others. Before using it for your other pets, we suggest you talk with a trusted veterinarian to make sure. Please check the labels thoroughly if that fly spray brand can be used on some of your small animal companions.
Review: The Best Fly Spray for Horses
In order to minimize the number of flies that keep on surrounding your horse, we managed to search the best fly spray for horses available in the market.
Read and learn about our recommendations below;
- Do you want a waterproof fly spray that can still work during the rainy season? This all-time favorite by most customers in the market will stay on better and won’t wash off with rain.
- Pyranha Wipe ‘N Spray is a pyrethrum-based formula specially designed and formulated directly for the animal.
- The ready-to-use formula provides superior fly protection while providing a high sheen to your horse’s hair when brushed out.
- This is an extremely effective product as you need 1 to 2 ounces per head will deliver optimum protection.
- It has a pleasant citronella scent, and also it contains lanolin as a coat conditioner and has been proven effective on biting flies, mosquitoes, gnats, fleas, and ticks.
- For more long-lasting effects, try this wonderful fly spray from Pyranha.
- Before, there was UltraShield, and now we are presenting you UltraShield ex, the new standard in fly control protection from Absorbine.
- UltraShield ex is the first weatherproof, sweat-resistant formula that can provide 17 days of fly control. It’s the hardest working insecticide-repellent around, and it can even be used on dogs.
- Many horse owners love the most advanced, ready-to-use fly, mosquito, and tick repellent available in the market.
- This product is sweat-resistant and weatherproof. Kills and repels insects for 17 days, including mosquitoes that transmit the West Nile virus.
- Since your horse will be standing out in the sun, the brand formulated multiple sunscreens and conditioners like aloe and lanolin, which are safe and organic ingredients that keep your horse’s coat healthy.
- Made with natural Pyrethrins (from chrysanthemums), Permethrin, and Piperonyl Butoxide. You can use this fly spray on horses, ponies, dogs, stalls, and bedding.
- This is Farnam’s specially developed fly spray for sweaty and wet conditions. Its unique formula provides up to 14 days of worry-free fly control.
- Protect your horse from biting and nuisance flies, gnats, and deer ticks that may transmit Lyme disease with this top-rated fly spray.
- Farnam’s 360-degree non-aerosol continuous spray provides consistent even-application for quiet uniform protection. Because they can spray at any angle–even upside down–there are no more hard-to-reach places.
- Ensuring that this formula can endure and withstand the hot and rainy summer months, this product is formulated with RepeLock, a special conditioner that binds to the hair shaft and won’t sweat off.
- This unique technology provides long-lasting protection to your horse. Try and see the difference!
- Are you stressed and frustrated because of the many flies, other insects, and bugs that gather around your horses? It would be best to have a staple fly spray for your stable.
- Farnam’s product kills six fly species, gnats, ticks, Deer ticks, fleas, chiggers, and lice!
- You can also use this as Insecticide and repellent on horses, ponies, foals, and in horse barns and stables.
- This is a powerful fly spray called a ready-to-use, water-based formula. For a pleasant aroma, it contains a citronella scent.
- This fly spray is formulated with prallethrin, permethrin, and piperonyl butoxide.
- Available in 32 oz., this useful and convenient fly spray will help you solve your problems with horse flies.
- Are you using some fly sprays claiming to be effective, yet the flies were back in a short time, or they never even left in the first place?
- With many swarms of insects and flies that might harm your horses and even you, this unique product will help you become peaceful and worry-free.
- Wipe Original Formula Fly Protectant has delivered dependable fly control for over 40 years, making it a favorite among the customers.
- This fly spray repels and kills horse, house, stable and deer flies, ticks, plus gnats and mosquitoes for long-lasting protection.
- Let your horses be protected from flies, insects, and bugs with this product. Say goodbye to those annoying insects and provide a safe and cozy environment for your horses.
- Are you tight on the budget, but you are currently searching for the best fly spray out there?
- This fly spray from Farnam is the most economical yet effective spray to use routinely for flies, mosquitoes, and many more that continue, causing havoc to your horses.
- The ready-to-use sprays are so costly — anywhere from Fly Spray for Horses 13 to Fly Spray for Horses 20+ per quart, and regardless of claims, you will never find one that works for longer than one day.
- This is thrifty in that a pint makes several bottles of spray, and the bottle is easy to pour from the side into your spray bottle.
- Despite the low price, this fly spray is a very efficient and unique product that will help your horses guard and protect unwanted and dangerous insects, flies, and bugs.
- Tested and proven safe by many experts and customers, try this one-of-a-kind fly spray for your horses.
- Stop those disturbing and troublesome flies before they start invading and attacking your horses! Start protecting your horse by using this excellent fly spray from EQyss.
- Early in the spring and continuing throughout the summer until cold weather, this product restricts fly activity.
- This moisturizing spray does not coat your horse’s skin or hair. Developed specifically to attract and bind moisture captured from the air to your horse’s skin and coat.
- Premier Spray uses a unique blend of ingredients that adds intense moisture to your horse’s coat, mane, and tail without leaving a slippery residue.
- Premier Spray can be used daily, especially after bathe or brush your horse, and is safe to use on the saddle area. Silicone free. Will not burn eyes.
- For best results, use Premier Shampoo and Premier Conditioner for maximum, yet gentle, cleaning, color intensifying, and conditioning. It has a tropical scent that leaves your horse smelling great while protecting them from flies and insects.
- Tri-Tec 14 Fly Repellent is a water-based formula that protects your horse against six types of flies plus gnats, mosquitoes, lice, and deer ticks.
- Keep a bottle in your tack box for on-the-go use and another at the barn for fast, economical refills.
- Protects against horse, house, stable, face, horn, and deer flies, plus gnats and mosquitoes. Protect against deer ticks that may transmit Lyme disease.
- This product can quickly knock down those stubborn flies and provides long-lasting protection. It also keeps working for up to 14 days.
- This product contains sunscreen, cypermethrin, pyrethrins, piperonyl butoxide, technical and butoxypolypropylene glycol.
- Available in 32 oz. Ready-to-use spray and gallon sizes. So, help your horses to feel comfortable and relaxed by using this Tri-Tec fly spray from Farnam on them.
- No more flies and insects when you apply this spray to your horses!
- New UltraShield green from Absorbine proves that “going green” can be highly effective and eco-safe.
- UltraShield Green is a natural fly repellent that repels and controls biting flies, mosquitoes, and gnats for up to 8-hours, as demonstrated in an independent university study. 100% guaranteed.
- Consumer feedback: smells great, shiny coat, long-lasting the only natural fly repellent from Absorbine is guaranteed to work for up to 8 hours eco-safe for the entire family. The environment contains seven essential oils known to have repellency properties for horses, ponies, foals, and dogs.
- So, if you consider a more natural approach, this fly spray from Absorbine is a great product for you to protect your horses in a safe and environmentally-friendly way.
- So, make your way into your green journey through Absorbine UltraShield Green Fly Repellent!
- Do you prefer organic and eco-friendly fly spray? For those horse owners who love anything about the green environment and plants, this fly spray from Espree is made with natural-derived ingredients that are safe for your horses and the environment.
- It has a gentle blend of ingredients, including botanical oils to repel flies on horses.
- Aloe Herbal Ready-To-Use Horse Spray contains coat conditioners and sunscreen, which promote a healthy coat and provide protection from the sun.
- If you love taking care of the environment and want to prevent harm to your animals and anything in nature, this eco-friendly fly spray is your better choice for choosing the best fly spray for organic use.
Flies and mosquitoes are the most common external parasites of horses during summer. They irritate and spread diseases. Large numbers of insects on a horse can result in excessive blood loss.
Fly bites also can cause skin allergies due to hypersensitivity or allergic reactions. These annoying flies can disrupt grazing as horses may run to escape and get away from biting flies or seek shady areas to cluster together and swish and stomp.
Your diligent management can control them. You can do this by keeping flies from reproducing as you eliminate breeding sites, keep larvae from hatching like using oral larvicide to your horse’s grain, and especially, you can use the best fly sprays for your horses, protecting them from flies and other pests.
Therefore, the aforementioned top-rated fly sprays for horses are available in the market, so you can choose and buy what is appropriate for your horses as well as what is the most convenient product among them.
Index Table: Top Rated Fly Repellent Sprays for Horses
|1||Pyranha Wipe N Spray - Fly Spray for Horses||Pyranha||98.5|
|2||Absorbine UltraShield EX Brand Residual Insecticide and Repellent - Horses Fly Repellent Spray||Absorbine||98.3|
|3||Farnam Endure - Fly Spray for Horses||Farnam||96|
|4||Farnam Bronco e Equine - Citronella Horses Fly Repellent Spray||Farnam||97|
|5||Wipe Original Formula - Horses Fly Repellent Spray||Wipe Original||96.8|
|6||Farnam Repel-Xp Emulsifiable - Fly Spray for Horses||Farnam||96.4|
|7||EQyss Premier Equine - Fly Spray for Horses||EQyss||97.3|
|8||Farnam Tri-Tec 14 Fly Repellent - Fly Spray for Horses||Farnam||96|
|9||Absorbine UltraShield Green - Horses Fly Repellent Spray||Absorbine||97.6|
|10||Espree Aloe Herbal - Horses Fly Repellent Spray||Espree||98|
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Fly Spray for Horses
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Review: The Best Fly Spray for Horses
- Pyranha® Wipe N Spray Fly Spray for Horses
- Absorbine® UltraShield EX Brand Residual Insecticide and Repellent Horses Fly Repellent Spray
- Farnam® Endure Fly Spray for Horses
- Farnam® Bronco e Equine Citronella Horses Fly Repellent Spray
- Wipe Original® Formula Horses Fly Repellent Spray
- Farnam® Repel-Xp Emulsifiable Fly Spray for Horses
- EQyss® Premier Equine Fly Spray for Horses
- Farnam® Tri-Tec 14 Fly Repellent Fly Spray for Horses
- Absorbine® UltraShield Green Horses Fly Repellent Spray
- Espree® Aloe Herbal Horses Fly Repellent Spray
- Index Table: Top Rated Fly Repellent Sprays for Horses