Like humans, birds need to eat for survival. However, birds can be picky eaters. They do not just eat anything they will be presented with. You should choose the best food for birds.
If you are looking for the best food for birds, we got you covered! Keep on reading and we’ll talk about some of the top products worth checking out.
The Importance of Feeding Birds
From seeds to nuts, there is a long list of options for foods that birds will love. Pick ones that will not only keep them full but will also give them the nutrition they need.
Regardless if you have a bird as a pet at home or you are trying to attract wild birds in your garden, the choice of food to give is crucial.
Before we proceed to a rundown of our top recommendations, let’s first talk about why birds need food. Below are some compelling reasons that will make you buy the right foods.
- Encourage Better Health – Proper feeding will make birds healthy. It conditions their body and supplies the nutrients that they need for survival.
- Experience Nature – If you want to experience nature in your backyard, install a bird feeder, and provide the right food. This will attract birds to your place, and they will be a sight to behold.
- Control Pests – By feeding birds, you are encouraging their presence in the backyard. In turn, they can help in implementing organic pest control.
- Provides Energy for Migration – By having food readily available in the garden, you are giving energy to the birds. This will help them in their migration journey.
Types of Food for Birds
While you will have a long list of choices, this does not mean that any food is a good pick. To help you narrow your options, below are some of the foods that you can give to both pet and wild birds.
- Seeds and Nuts – The most popular commercially available bird foods belong to this category. Among others, sunflower seeds are the most common. Tube-shaped peanuts will also make great choices.
- Bird Cake – We are not talking about a traditional bird cake. Instead, bird cakes are made of melted fat, such as lard or suet. It is mixed with nuts, seeds, cheese, and other bird-friendly ingredients.
- Live Foods – Waxworms and mealworms are some of the most common live foods for birds. They provide the water and protein that birds need.
- Household Scraps – If you want to save money without depriving good food to birds, then feed them with household scraps. Some of the best are bacon and rice.
Birds and Dietary Classifications
As you decide on the best foods to give to birds, it is crucial to know various dietary classifications. This will make it easier to determine what makes good food.
- Florivore – The primary diet of the birds under this group includes nuts, seeds, roots, berries, and fruits. It includes red-faced parrot and military macaw, among others.
- Granivore – It refers to a group of birds that eat primarily grains and seeds, including hyacinth macaw, cockatiel, and budgerigar.
- Frugivore – These are birds eating mostly fruits and flowers, such as green-winged macaw and blue-throated macaw.
- Carnivore – They eat meat, including fish, mammals, and reptiles. These are birds of prey, which include falcons, eagles, osprey, and vulture.
- Omnivore – This diet includes plants and animals as the main food sources. Crows, hummingbirds, ostriches, and woodpeckers are some of the birds under this diet category.
- Nectarivore – These birds feed on sugar-rich nectar of flowering plants. Some birds under this group include lory and lorikeet.
Tips and Tricks for feeding Birds
Be a responsible owner and know how to provide the foods that birds need. Whether they are caged or in the wild, below are some of the most important things you must know.
Use a Feeder – Do not leave the food in a dish or just any surface. The best practice is to use a well-designed bird feeder. This will provide better stimulation to encourage the birds to eat.
Feed Based on the Season
When choosing food for birds, think of the season. Their dietary needs will be different throughout the year, so give something that will let them survive the summer or winter.
Consider the Frequency of Feeding – How often you feed a bird will depend on a couple of things, such as size, age, and growth rate. It could be as often as once every two to three hours or twice a day.
Keep it Clean – See to it that the foods and feeders are always hygienic. Otherwise, this can be a reason for disease transmission. Rotate the feeding and drinking areas to help prevent transmission.
Got questions about foods for birds? We’ll try to answer some of them below.
Q: What type of bird food attracts the most birds?
A: Sunflower seeds are the most popular food that can attract most birds in the backyard. Specifically, black oil sunflower seeds are great for birds because they are easy to crack open. To add, they contain high fat, which is good for birds.
Q: What should birds not eat?
A: Whether it is for backyard or pet birds, some of the foods that you should avoid feeding them are chocolate, avocado, peanuts, garlic, onion, salt, and fruit pits, among others.
Q: What is the best way to feed birds?
A: The best way to feed birds is to have a feeder in the garden. Using foraging toys will also help in their stimulation.
Reviews: The Top Picks for the Best Food for Birds
Clueless about the best foods that birds will love? If you need help, below are some of the top products that should be on your radar.
If you are looking for the best addition to your bird feeder, this product from Wagner’s is worth considering.
- This is in a ten-pound bag and comes with an affordable price, making it a great pick for those who are on a budget.
- The bag contains 20% sunflower and other general-purpose seeds.
- It also has cracked corn, milo, and millet, among others.
- These are some of the favorites of perching and ground birds.
- For your peace of mind, it is also good to know that the company is offering a satisfaction guarantee.
- If you are unhappy in any way, get in touch with the manufacturer and they will issue an unconditional refund.
This is from the same manufacturer as the product mentioned above, so you can expect the same exceptional quality.
- Formulated for the dietary needs of wild birds, each bag comes with a diverse variety of ingredients. 40% of the bag contains sunflower seeds.
- It has 11 gourmet ingredients that most birds will surely find hard to resist.
- Compared to the other products included in our recommendations, this bag has more variety. Aside from sunflower, other ingredients include cracked corn, white millet, canary seed, and peanut kernels.
From parrots to conures, this is another option that should be on your radar as you search for the best food for birds.
- Every bag is sure to provide a tasty treat for birds. It has flavors of grapes, apples, oranges, and bananas, among others.
- According to the manufacturer, this product can make up to 60% of your bird’s diet.
- Compared to other foods, it can provide the perfect foundation for a healthy life of birds.
- Similar to the product from Wagner’s mentioned above, every purchase is also backed by a satisfaction guarantee.
- An unconditional refund is waiting if you are unhappy with this bird food.
If you are looking for a nutritionally complete option for the best food for birds, this is one product that should be on your watch.
- It is formulated by expert avian nutritionists and veterinarians.
- This way, you can be confident that it can provide the nutrition that birds need.
- This bag contains non-GMO and human-grade ingredients, making sure that it will be safe for birds.
- Each package contains 50% premium grains and 50% pellets.
- Almost everything that birds need is included in this product.
- It is rich in antioxidants and essential minerals for bird survival. The food also contains Omegas 3 and 6, which will improve the immune system and skin health, among other benefits.
- Lastly, the manufacturer is also offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee with every purchase.
Value for money – this is one thing that you can expect in this bird food. This is because it is a no-waste mix. This means that it is 100% edible.
- Another highlight of this product is that it is handcrafted, which results in having a fine-cut blend.
- This is perfect even when you are feeding small birds.
- We love how it does not come with fillers, shells, and seed hulls.
- Instead, it contains pistachio, almond, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds, among others.
- Another good thing about this product is Stay Fresh technology.
- This means that it remains fresh as long as it will remain in the bag.
- This is unlike other bird foods that can easily go stale. Aside from having a tight seal, it also comes with an oxygen absorber packet.
- However, take note that this is not for caged or domestic birds.
- Instead, it is for wild birds, such as bluebirds, chickadees, grosbeaks, and finches, among others.
With this product, nutritious feeding is a lot easier. It does not contain preservatives, dyes, and synthetic ingredients, making sure of the health of birds.
- Rather than having fillers, it uses only ultra-premium ingredients.
- Each ingredient has been carefully selected to promote the optimal health of birds.
- Some of the ingredients that you will find in this product include canola seed, apple, mango dices, papaya, pineapple, red millet, orange peel, and green bell peppers, among others.
- Like many of the products included in our recommendations, each bag also comes with an oxygen packet.
- This is important in maintaining freshness.
For feeding wild birds, this is one of the best products that should be on your radar.
- This bag contains peanuts, white millet, and hulled sunflower seeds.
- It is 100% edible, so you can be sure that there will be no waste.
- There are no fillers, making this bird food provide the best bang for the buck.
- Regardless of the feeder that you have, this bird food will be compatible.
- You can use it in the hopper, platform, and tube feeders, among others.
- Lastly, it is also worth noting that it ships in special packaging.
- This way, there is a lesser chance that it will be damaged or that the seeds will break in transit.
Another product from Kaytee, this is also for wild birds, such as the product mentioned above.
- It is high in fat, which will provide the energy that the birds will need.
- This will be a great help for those who are migrating.
- This is unlike other foods that birds might resist.
- It has a rich taste and texture, so birds will be tempted to eat it.
- According to the manufacturer, this food is best for woodpeckers and bluejays.
- This is also a popular option for feeding squirrels and chipmunks.
If you are looking for the best food for birds with a price that does not hurt the wallet, this is an excellent option.
- While it is affordable, it is filled with vitamins and minerals that can help in the survival of small birds.
- Eating this food can deliver a wide array of benefits.
- For instance, the manufacturer claims that this will help in having a more colorful plumage.
- From canaries to finches, this is a great choice if you wish to feed small birds!
- It contains premium seeds and wholesome grains that will be easy for them to eat.
To be exclusively used for feeding wild birds, this is a great alternative to seeds and grains.
- It is made from a combination of rendered beef suet, soy oil, oats, roasted peanuts, and corn.
- The manufacturer claims that they have the only true no melt suet product line in the world. For many, that is already a compelling reason to pick this product over many of its competitors.
- This food is nutritionally balanced.
- These treats will provide the energy that wild birds need to continue their journey, especially for migration.
Another top choice for the best food for birds, it has the most important vitamins and minerals.
- It contains zinc, phosphorus, riboflavin, niacin, copper, thiamine, magnesium, and potassium chloride, among others.
- With the contents of this bag, it will attract a variety of backyard feeders. To be specific, the manufacturer notes that it is a good choice for grosbeaks, bluebirds, and finches, among others.
- One thing that separates this product from most of our recommendations is that it has a unique three-bug blend.
- It contains insects rich in proteins, which birds can enjoy throughout the year when you give them this food.
- Aside from the three-bug blend, other ingredients that you will find in this bag of bird food include sunflower kernels, safflower seeds, and dried berries, among others.
- Another good thing about this product is that it contains a locked formula, which means that you can enjoy the same benefits consistently. This will also help in retaining the freshness of the product.
Birds need vitamins, just like humans. If that’s the case, then this is another good choice as it is vitamin-enriched.
- One of our favorite things in this product is that it has been triple-cleaned before packaging.
- This effectively gets rid of dirt and impurities that can affect its overall quality.
- It is also worth noting that it contains only natural ingredients.
- Even if you look closely, you will not find fillers and additives.
- This bird food promises a long list of benefits for bird health.
- Among others, it is known for providing healthier skin and brighter feathers.
From lovebirds to cockatiels, among other small birds, this is another great choice for their food.
- The manufacturer notes that this is a super-clean mix, so you will not find dust and additives.
- Some of the main ingredients that you will find in this product include white proso millet, canary grass seed, hemp seed, peanuts, and spinach flakes, among others.
- It also contains orange oil, which acts as a natural preservative.
- With the vitamins, minerals, and amino acids in this product, it is easy to promote the optimal health of birds.
- It does not contain sunflower seeds, which is also one of the reasons why it is recommended even for overweight birds.
This food is designed with the needs of game birds and shows birds in mind.
- It is fortified with the essential vitamins and minerals for healthy birds.
- It also contains yeast to improve digestion and protein for muscle development.
- We also love how it comes with non-medicated formula.
- It relies on natural ingredients, which have been safely processed to provide a wide array of benefits without significant risks.
- If you are unhappy with this bird food, all that you have to do is to return the unused portion of the pack to the manufacturer.
- They will provide an unconditional refund, which means that your satisfaction is a sure thing.
This 40-pound bag of bird food can undeniably offer great value for every dollar.
- It has a special blend that can help attract chickadees, pine siskin, and purple finches, among others.
- With the seeds, fruits, and nuts that come with this bag, it is a great source of essential vitamins and minerals. Even picky eaters will love the variety of ingredients that they will find in this unique blend.
- The exclusive Bird-Kote technology, which has been developed by the manufacturer, is another reason why this is among the best bird foods.
- The latter is the one responsible for fortifying the food with ingredients that can keep birds healthy.
Physically speaking, the appearance of this bird food is different from all others in our recommendations.
- Rather than being loose, it is compressed in the form of a cylinder.
- If there’s one good thing about this style, it would be that it is compatible with any cylinder feeder.
- Some of the main ingredients that you will find in this product include pecans, sunflower hearts, white millet, and black-oil sunflower.
- Like our other recommendations in this buying guide, it is also worth noting that it does not contain fillers and synthetic ingredients.
Made only with the finest ingredients – that is what you can expect from this product wrapping up our recommendations for the best bird food.
- Purity is one of its best assets, which is also what makes it a great choice for birds.
- It is 100% edible and does not contain animal by-products.
- In the same way, it also has no added sugars and color.
- The packaging of this bird food is also impressive.
- It will be easy to preserve its freshness since it comes in a resealable bag.
- When you give this food to your birds, the manufacturer emphasizes that there will be no need for additional vitamins and supplements.
- This is a great way to save money.
Take care of your birds and make them as healthy as possible. Give them the best food for birds, including those listed above. They are also effective choices for wild garden birds!
With the right food, you can attract birds to your home. If you take care of a bird as a pet, proper feeding is important in demonstrating tender loving care!
Do not deprive birds of good food! Consider our recommendations above and it will be hard to go wrong!
Index Table:Best Bird Food
|1||Wagner’s 13008 - Deluxe Blend Wild Bird Food||Wagner’s||98.5|
|2||Wagner’s 62059 - Greatest Variety Blend Wild Bird Food||Wagner’s||98|
|3||ZuPreem Fruit Blend Flavor - Bird Food||ZuPreem||96|
|4||Lafeber’s Classic - Avi-Cakes Pet Bird Food||Lafeber’s||96.7|
|5||Lyric 2647439 - Fine Tunes No Waste Bird Seed Mix||Lyric||97|
|6||Dr. Harvey’s Our Best - Parakeet Food||Dr. Harvey’s||97.4|
|7||Kaytee Ultimate - No Mess Wild Bird Food||Kaytee||96.4|
|8||Kaytee Peanuts - Peanuts in Shell for Wild Birds||Kaytee||97|
|9||Wild Harvest A1203 - Daily Blend for Small Birds||Wild Harvest||97.2|
|10||C & S Peanut Delight - Bird Food||C & S||97.7|
|11||Wild Delight Bugs ‘n Berries - Bird Food||Wild Delight||96.8|
|12||Sweet Harvest Cockatiel - Bird Food||Sweet Harvest||97.4|
|13||Volkman Avian Science Super Cockatiel - No Sunflower Bird Food||Volkman Avian Science||97.5|
|14||Manna Pro Starter - Grower Bird Food||Manna Pro||96.8|
|15||Pennington Select Birder’s Blend - Bird Feed||Pennington||97|
|16||Mr. Bird Wild Bird Feast - Bird Seed Large Cylinder||Mr. Bird||97|
|17||Roudybush Daily Maintenance - Bird Food||Roudybush||97.6|
Table of Contents
- The Importance of Feeding Birds
- Types of Food for Birds
- Birds and Dietary Classifications
- Tips and Tricks for feeding Birds
- Reviews: The Top Picks for the Best Food for Birds
- Wagner’s® 13008 Deluxe Blend Wild Bird Food
- Wagner’s® 62059 Greatest Variety Blend Wild Bird Food
- ZuPreem® Fruit Blend Flavor Bird Food
- Lafeber’s® Classic Avi-Cakes Pet Bird Food
- Lyric® 2647439 Fine Tunes No Waste Bird Seed Mix
- Dr. Harvey’s® Our Best Parakeet Food
- Kaytee® Ultimate No Mess Wild Bird Food
- Kaytee® Peanuts Peanuts in Shell for Wild Birds
- Wild Harvest® A1203 Daily Blend for Small Birds
- C & S® Peanut Delight Bird Food
- Wild Delight® Bugs ‘n Berries Bird Food
- Sweet Harvest® Cockatiel Bird Food
- Volkman Avian Science® Super Cockatiel No Sunflower Bird Food
- Manna Pro® Starter Grower Bird Food
- Pennington® Select Birder’s Blend Bird Feed
- Mr. Bird® Wild Bird Feast Bird Seed Large Cylinder
- Roudybush® Daily Maintenance Bird Food
- Index Table:Best Bird Food