Guinea pigs are kind of small animals that prefer to live inside cages rather than roaming around the house.
In that case, proper bedding that is highly absorbent, dust-free, cozy, and odor control is necessary.
Choosing the best bedding for a guinea pig is crucial.
Most small pet owners agree that beddings are the priciest part of owning small pets.
There are factors every pet owner must consider to cut down the cost.
Keep on reading to find the best guinea pig bedding in today’s market.
Best Guinea Pig Bedding Options: Important Factors to Consider
This must be the first question asked by guinea pig owners to prevent further difficulties among the pets.
The options include:
- Paper bedding – Markets offer paper bedding for a guinea pig, which has the same material that makes it difficult for owners to choose. To make things easy: paper bedding must be soft, absorbent, and effective to control odor. This type is dangerous to ingest as it may result in health issues for the pets.
- Aspen bedding – This came from a non-aromatic hardwood which is good for highly sensitive pets. Being not fully able to control odor is its downfall.
- Cloth bedding – You can provide homemade bedding using towels and scrap cotton cloths and so more affordable. Daily maintenance is essential because its odor absorbent power is low.
- Fleece bedding – Fleece bedding is the most favorite guinea pig bedding on the list because of its excellent absorbency. The pets can burrow with this three-layered bedding without feeling uncomfortable.
What are the Beddings Options to Avoid?
Since guinea pigs have such a sensitive respiratory system, knowing the must-avoided beddings is essential.
This is to nurture them correctly with proper monitoring. It includes:
- Softwood shavings – Dust is dangerous to the pet’s health, and softwood shavings greatly produce dust. It contains oils and phenols that might cause respiratory issues.
- Straw – Straws have hard ends which are harmful to the pet’s parts like eyes, nose, and feet.
- Corn Husks – These are prone to molds which can create intestinal blockages.
- Clumping Cat Litter – This bedding type normally contains chemicals that are dangerous to ingest. Also, the small pet feet will not feel comfortable with this bedding.
Review: The Best Guinea Pig Bedding
Here are the top 12 best-buy guinea pig beddings you can have:
- This natural bedding is indeed natural-made by way of recycled wood pulps. As compared to paper bedding, HPCC is tougher to hold up a pet’s waste three times of its weight.
- It isn’t harsh to small pet’s feet with its soft cardboard-like texture.
- The bedding expands twice its volume to occupy the entire cage.
- There’s no need to frequently change the bedding as it excellently controls the cage’s odor.
- Also, the product is a little dusty because of the wood material, yet easy to clean.
- It is safe for burrowing and will not cause allergy issues. Further, it is biodegradable after use.
- Lasting odor control.
- Highly absorbent.
- Issues of chemical smell.
- It is the first fleece bedding on the list that cost higher than the former bedding type.
- This bedding fits Midwest, Living World Extra-Large, and AmazonBasics Jumbo Size cages.
- It occupies the entire cage with so many extra beddings to allow shrinkage.
- The materials used are high-quality fabrics that could last long.
- The triple-layer cage liner helps to absorb the pet’s urine and other wastes, so keep away the mess on the cage’s surface. This also prevents bad odor all over the pet’s enclosure.
- The sheet is reusable; wash it once a week, minimizing odor.
- Avoid using fabric softener in washing the bedding.
- Fits perfectly on most cages.
- Highly absorbent.
- Priced higher than the other beddings.
- Carefresh uses raw and natural fiber material during production.
- Most bedding is out of wood shavings or paper materials, but this one is made from comfy fluff.
- That results in extreme softness like a pillow so that the pets will feel comfier than ever.
- Pet owners adore this bedding because of its added features.
- Its absorbency is high, which is twice that shavings do.
- It could also last for 10-days, smelling fresh despite the waste being absorbed.
- It is 99% dust-free and so easy to maintain the cage’s cleanliness.
- There are three other Carefresh Pet Beddings to choose from, depending on your creative mind.
- It includes white paper bedding, confetti paper bedding, and blue guinea pig paper bedding.
- Pillow-like softness texture.
- Ultra-absorbent feature.
- Great odor control.
- Little bit mixture of wood chips.
- Paper and wooden shavings have nothing to say with this GuineaDad Liner.
- The company did its best to design the fleece liner and conduct all the necessary testing.
- They made sure a 100% biodegradable and reusable fleece bedding is out of bamboo.
- The fleece liner is highly absorbent due to its diamond pattern liner.
- It has a waterproof bottom and keeps the floor dry and waste off.
- It keeps the guinea pigs healthy and away from bacteria-related diseases.
- It’s because of the bamboo’s natural properties like anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial.
- Those properties also minimize bad odor inside the cage.
- Since these pets love to burrow, GuineaDad added a burrow pocket.
- Spot cleaning is necessary to sustain the hygienic feature of the bedding.
- Do the laundry once a week for thorough cleaning.
- Added burrowing sleeves.
- Hypoallergenic features.
- Slightly expensive.
- Demands weekly wash.
- Hemp Bedding is normally appropriate for coops but not popular to be used as guinea pig bedding.
- The truth is hemp bedding is pet-friendly bedding for small animals.
- It is safe and affordable to put inside cages without any pesticide or insecticide.
- The product is in a 300-liter bag package covering up to 50 square feet of the enclosure.
- That is enough space for the pets to burrow.
- In terms of smell, hemp bedding smells natural and better than other wood shavings.
- It is composed of non-toxic materials that don’t cause any harm your pets.
- Aside from being safe, its absorbent power is high, preventing foul odor in the cage.
- The remaining beddings are decomposable.
- Mega size packaging.
- Very absorbent.
- Less comfortable than paper and fleece bedding.
- Purina is known as one of the best litter bedding for small animals in the market made of recycled paper. Moreover, it is a veterinarian-recommended small animal litter because of the unscented odor control feature.
- It comes in another form, which is a pellet-like shape that provides real comfort for your pets. As its name says, it is a cat litter and good for guinea pigs because of its promising features.
- This litter bedding is 100% feet-friendly due to its granule design. Its unscented fragrance results in non-smelly enclosures. It also absorbs moisture thrice its weight, which is 30-pounds per carrier bag than clay-based litter.
- Cleaning the cage afterward is so easy because of its dust-free feature. Surely, no small particles are ever-present on this bedding.
- Recommended by the experts.
- Unscented for great odor control.
- Safe for guinea pigs.
- Taking care of the pets, at the same time, being concern about the environment is within your reach. Kaytee’s Clean and Cozy Bedding supports it all.
- The long recycled white fiber strands render better quality small animal bedding.
- Kaytee offers two perfect scents, four color options, and four sizes of packaging you can choose for.
- Each package contains unbleached, biodegradable, and all-natural paper bedding. The price is good for those average earner pet owners.
- This USA-based bedding has a great absorbent level six times its weight.
- Compared to other wood shavings, Clean and Cozy can absorb more liquid, specifically twice than wood shavings. It expands its actual size thrice as you remove it from the packaging and ready to use it. Odor control is also guaranteed.
- Easy to spot a mess.
- A wide selection of colors and scents.
- Demands regular spot cleaning.
- Pet Select items never disappoint small pet owners, specifically guinea pig owners, making a product.
- The moment it is removed from the bag, it expands its package volume size thrice.
- It can surely occupy the entire enclosure. There are no harmful chemical additives and 100% safe for pets.
- The papers used in producing this bedding are unbleached, unused, and fully biodegradable.
- The price speaks well as it never fails most buyers, for it contains lots of bedding. It has so compressed packaging, which is favorable for pet owners.
- Despite its softness, the absorbency level is still super-efficient.
- Also, it is very good at controlling odor.
- Overall, guinea pigs will enjoy the stay in their habitat with their softness and comfy texture.
- All-natural paper bedding.
- Excellently expandable.
- Very affordable.
- Needs to be replaced after 5-7 days.
- Dusty issues.
- This is another Kaytee bedding product on the list in another form. It is shaped granule-like out of wood fibers, which end up into soft bedding for guinea pigs.
- One package contains less than 30-litters of bedding, enough to cover up 1 to 3-inches cages’ depth.
- It absorbs liquid thrice its volume, which is great to maintain the cage odorless.
- The granule-looking bedding is almost 100% dust-free and, therefore, easier to clean.
- Don’t worry, as the granules are made smaller than the usual granules and comfortable for small feet.
- It comes in a few colors which beautify every pet’s surrounding. Also, it controls the odor.
- The used beddings can be thrown away with no bad effect on the environment.
- Soft Granule Blend Bedding can be a tasty treat for guinea pigs.
- No worries, as no chemicals are added in the making of this bedding.
- High absorbency.
- Safe for ingestion.
- Great odor control.
- Results to heavy bedding when the time for cleaning due to its high absorbency level.
- One of the most suitable bedding for guinea pigs is beddings made of aspen.
- Happily, this one results from kiln-dried shavings, which is more effective in absorbing animal waste. Compared to paper and fleece bedding, its absorbency level is lower.
- There’s no aromatic fragrance content and no additives, but it’s all-natural aspen bedding.
- It means the bedding can be recycled or decomposed.
- Small Pet Select claimed the bedding isn’t out of dangerous fibers.
- For this reason, Aspen bedding is very doubtful for some pet owners.
- Burrowing small pets are safe with this bedding that is non-toxic and dust-free.
- It might seem pricier than the previous beddings, yet a good one to try.
- All-natural made bedding.
- No chemicals added.
- Low absorbency level.
- Slightly pricey.
- Vitakraft is the only manufacturer of small pet bedding that claims no baking soda. This results in longer days of moisture and odor control for up to 2 weeks. It is good for the environment because of the recycled paper materials used during the production. The good thing is it supports community organizations in every bedding-made. Further, it acts versatility as bedding and a litter for small pets.
- This paper-based bedding can absorb moisture up to thrice its weight. It maintains the softness and comfy feeling for the pets to burrow. The material is dust-free, and so prevents respiratory diseases among the pets.
- Very affordable.
- Long-lasting odor control.
- Can work as both litter and bedding.
- Dusty issues.
- Demands frequent changes.
- Leak-proof performance makes this cage liner unique compared to the previous bedding products.
- It is built with a five-layer leak-proof design and can cover up 22 by 22-inches enclosure surface.
- The liner can be cut or folded to fit on any cage size.
- The pad has a plastic border to prevent overflow on its sides.
- Its top layer is responsible for locking wetness and reducing odor resulting in a drier surface.
- The middle layers give way to the proper liquid flowing with maximum absorption power.
- The bottom layers have a strong liquid-locking feature, which prevents leaking on the cage’s surface.
- It is considered an under-fleece bedding type.
- Affordably priced.
- Some pet owners are disappointed.
To Wrap Things Up
After knowing the factors needed to be considered and the best guinea pig beddings, which product is your bet?
Consider your small pet’s comfort in picking the right bedding so it would help them to live fully.
Your job is to choose cozy, well-built, and odorless bedding for your pet.
The above-mentioned beddings are just a few of the available options. Therefore, you can look further in the market for the best guinea pig bedding!
Do we miss the point?
Feel free to share your pet stories below and ask queries whenever you want to. Thank you!
Index Table: Top Ratedt Guinea Pig Bedding
Table of Contents
- Best Guinea Pig Bedding Options: Important Factors to Consider
- Review: The Best Guinea Pig Bedding
- Healthy Pet Critter Care® Natural Bedding Guinea Pig’s Bedding
- Small Pets and Company® Guinea Pig Fleece Cage Liner Bedding for Guinea Pigs
- Carefresh® Complete Pet Bedding Paper Bedding for Guinea Pig
- GuineaDad® Fleece Liner 2.0 Bedding for Guinea Pigs
- RentACoop® Hemp Bedding Bedding for Guinea Pigs
- Purina® Yesterday's News Non-Clumping Paper Cat Litter Guinea Pig’s Bedding
- Kaytee® Clean and Cozy White Small Animal Bedding Guinea Pig Bedding
- Small Pet Select® Natural Paper Bedding Guinea Pig’s Bedding
- Kaytee® Soft Granule Blend Bedding Bedding for Guinea Pigs
- Small Pet Select® Aspen Bedding Bedding for Guinea Pigs
- Vitakraft® Fresh World Strength Crumble Bedding Bedding for Guinea Pigs
- Pulse Brands® Super Absorbent Disposable Cage Liners Guinea Pig Bedding
- To Wrap Things Up
- Index Table: Top Ratedt Guinea Pig Bedding