Guinea pigs, also called cavies, are quite popular pets for kids, thanks to their cuteness and fluffiness that make everyone swoon!
These fluffy balls are also easy to take care of and are well-suited to the apartment lifestyle since they do not demand a big portion of your house, unlike cats and dogs.
You can just get the best guinea pig cage and contain them in a particular place, making them safer to have around even with bully pets and rowdy toddlers.
However, you will need to understand that although these fluffy cavies are super easy to look after, they still have particular needs that you need to meet. And the biggest mistake that most first-time owners make is getting the wrong cage.
A guinea pig’s cage does not have to be expensive or flashy. However, it needs to meet a few specifics to keep your furball healthy and happy!
Important Factors To Consider
- Size – Guinea pigs are among the largest rodents. However, most cages that are marketed for guinea pigs are usually way too small. In general, guinea pigs will need a larger cage than gerbils and hamsters but a bit smaller than a rabbit’s cage. However, most guinea pigs are actually satisfied living in larger cages designed for rabbits. A guinea pig needs to at least have a room which measures 30 x 36 inches, and more is always better, according to the Humane Society of the United States.
Floor Space – Guinea pigs require more floor space for playtime and exercise. And they are not excellent climbers; thus, a high cage with numerous platforms is not necessary. And if the cage you are looking at has an elevated area, just be sure that the ramps are not too steep for your cavies to climb on.
Construction Materials – Common materials used for guinea pig cages include plastic, metal, wood, or a combination of these. Metal is always the safest bet. Guinea pigs are notorious for chewing their way out of wood and plastic cages.
Solid Flooring – Before buying a cage, you will have to ensure that it has a solid bottom. Other than comfort, the feet of guinea pigs are too delicate to handle the pressure that is caused by uneven bumps on mesh floorings. Otherwise, their feet could get swollen and injured.
Accessibility and Ease of Cleaning – A cage with high accessibility allows easy cleaning since you can reach all corners of the cage without a problem. A wire cage may seem easy to clean; however, a large one with a solid, plastic base are quite popular since they simply detach the bottom from the metal top so you can just dump out the litter and wash it out. Also, a cage with a generous opening gives you better access to the cage for feeding as well as petting and making interaction with your cavies.
Indoor/Outdoor Use and Portability – In most climates, guinea pigs will need to live inside. But, they also need to enjoy some time outside. Some guinea pigs are specifically designed for outdoor use; however, most are suitable for both indoors and outdoors to move the cage when you need to. Also, there are times when you want to bring your pet for travel. Fortunately, some cages are small enough so you can take them with you.
Hiding Spaces and Balcony – Although guinea pigs will love walking around its cage, they sometimes need some cozy and secure places to hide when they want to sleep or eat. There are some guinea pig cages fully equipped with hiding space, so you do not have to purchase a separate hideout. Also, a cage with a balcony adds dimension as well as a better view for your pet.
Reviews: Best Guinea Pig Cages 2020
And now, without further ado, here are the top-rated and best guinea pig cages this 2020 that will keep your cavies comfortable and living a wonderful life!
- Available in Standard Large and X-Large sizes, this guinea pig cage is a great indoor habitat for larger pets such as guinea pigs, rabbits, and chinchillas with the extra space for running and strolling.
- As a matter of fact, it has a lot of room that 2 – 3 guinea pigs can share the cage to run and play around.
- The hybrid cage consists of an upper wire frame plus a plastic bottom base, which provides a well-ventilated and safe place for your cavies. In addition, it comes fully equipped with hiding compartments so that your pet has somewhere to go for privacy.
- Not only that, but there’s also a balcony with an access ramp as well as a tip-proof food dish which secures to the balcony floor so that the food will remain in place and prevent mess.
- Despite its large size, this cage is super easy to clean and comes with easy-pop latches to remove the lid quickly and the base to slip off.
- The balcony can also be detached so that you can clean all nooks and crannies without any issues.
- Providing 8 square feet of living space, the Guinea Habitat Plus from MidWest Homes for Pets was a thoughtfully designed cage to keep your cavies healthy and comfortable.
- Having the recommended sized for guinea pigs, you can get another Guinea Habitat Plus and expand it to a whopping 16 feet of living space suitable for those who have a big guinea pig family.
- In addition, the cage features a multi-access folding top that offers security and safety as you interact with your furry friends.
- The multiple access points also make cleaning super easy. Fully removable wire mesh on top helps protect your pets from predators or other bully pets in your home.
- The PVC-lined canvas bottom helps provides protection and traction as well as comfort for your pet’s delicate feet. In addition, its bottom is leak-proof and sturdy; thus, no cavies can escape from the enclosure.
- Lastly, the cage includes a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty for a risk-free buying.
- Ferplast introduces a traditional cavie habitat that will keep your pets safe and comfortable. Designed with maximum comfort in mind, the cage has a large bottom and a wide opening front door for easy access to feeding, interactions as well as cleaning.
- The front door also has a special closing system with durable plastic clips in order to prevent escapes.
- In addition to the wide front door, this cage is fully equipped with a smaller door on top for quick cleaning and maintenance. For more accurate cleaning, it is also possible to separate the top and base completely by unlocking the side hooks, giving you full coverage of the inside.
- The cage structure is durable and is made of a plastic base and varnished wire mesh.
- Its high bottom collect food remains dirt and can contain sawdust, separating your cage from the dirt and providing a clean and sanitary environment.
- What’s more, is that this is not only a habitat, but a fully accessorize cage. It comes complete with a hay feeder, a water bottle and a bowl for feeding.
- It also provides your cavies a quiet place to relax and is equipped with steps and partitions. The cage also has a large shelf on the top, which acts as a second floor on your pet’s home.
- A good quality cage from AmazonBasics, this pet habitat is available in sizes Standard, Large, and Jumbo, so you can find the ideal cage for your guinea pigs.
- One of its best features is the iron wire upper frame, which lends maximum ventilation as well as visibility of your furry friends.
- The PP plastic base, on the other hand, offers supreme strength and durability so that this cage could last for longer. It features 2 access points— the large front door and the top opening— so you have easy access to your pet as well as easy cleaning and feeding.
- The cage also features a spacious balcony complete with an access ramp as well as a unique hideaway spot underneath so that your pet can have privacy to relax and sleep.
- Easy to install, this cage can be set up in seconds without heavy tools. What’s more, is that this cage is fully-equipped with a useful accommodation kit, so you will not have to buy other stuff in order to create a complete abode for your furry buddy.
- It includes a tip-proof dish for feeding, a hay guard as well as a non-drip water bottle to keep your cavie refreshed.
- This wood rabbit cage from Petsfit is suitable for guinea pigs, hamsters, and any other small animals; secure and comfy, this hutch is ruggedly built using wire and solid wood.
- And although this cage is marketed as an extra-large guinea pig cages indoor use, most pet owners stated that is also works well for outdoor use.
- The cage exhibits a classic design and is available in 3 colors— grey and white, red and white, and wine red. Whatever you choose, the cage is treated with water-based paint; thus, you do not have to worry about the safety of your pets.
- It looks amazing and feels just like another piece of furniture inside your home.
- The cage features a cozy, private room so your pet can relax and rest away from prying eyes. Meanwhile, the other side features a spacious open enclosure if your pet wishes to play and run around.
- The cage has a front door as well as a top opening with a piston hinge that stays up for easy access during feeding or cleaning. It also features a deep, pull-out tray as well as a removable floor for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- This item from reputable company Kaytee is not only a cage for your guinea pigs. It includes necessary items that will give total value to your money.
- The cage features latches that are chew-proof in order to keep your pets safe, secure, and prevent escape.
- Meanwhile, the deep base is super easy to clean since it can be detached and put back in a snap.
- Measuring 30 x 18 x 16.5 inches, this cage is big enough for your guinea pig to roam around and play. In addition, Kaytee includes a food dish with a sample of Kaytee Fiesta guinea pig.
- Not only that, but you also get a water bottle to keep your pet refreshed as well as clean and cozy bedding for your pet’s comfort.
- Although advertised for rabbits, the Wabbitat Deluxe is an Amazon’s Choice for “large guinea pig cages.” Measuring 47.16 x 26.62 x 19.68 inches, this is the largest cage in the Wabbitat line and offers an extra-large living space for your furry buddy.
- It can be assembled easily and quickly without tools and comes fully equipped with accessories such as a feeding bowl, a water bottle, and a hay feeder.
- It has an elevated feeding space, which creates a private space underneath while the stationary feeding bowl helps in reducing spills and wastage during meals.
- The cage features a deep pan made of plastic that collects the litter and mess and a durable powder coated wire top with 1-inch mesh spacing for visibility, optimal ventilation, and prevention of stuck feet. A 2 sided door and a large top door provide easy access during playtime, feeding, and cleaning.
- If you are looking for a cage that can be assembled and disassembled whenever you want and is great for outdoor use, then this 16pcs metal wire from LANGXUN is your best bet.
- Unlike most cages, this one allows you to connect metal wire pieces and create a unique playpen for your furry friends.
- Made of high-quality coated steel, the corner brackets are secure without being troublesome to snap together, and the panels are quite durable and sturdy.
- Featuring ABS connectors, even your kids can put the pieces together.
- In addition, you can even make roof coverings as well as drape towels over them to give your pet’s privacy. The roof will remain steady in place, even if you got a rowdy bunch of guinea pigs inside the playpen.
- All in all, this DIY cage is loved for functionality and versatility since it can fit perfectly in any environment.
- This is a recommended DIY cage for those who are looking for an inexpensive way to start a pet enclosure, giving your limitless customization.
- The Critter Nation from MidWest Homes for Pets offers the ultimate habitat for your cavies.
- This cage comes in 2 styles— Single Story suitable for guinea pigs that are not fond of climbing and Two-Story for the critters that love going up and down.
- Each Critter Nation cage comes fully equipped with a ramp and ramp cover, an easy-to-remove base pan for easy cleaning, and a resting shelf.
- It features full-width double doors in order to provide accessibility for feeding and cleaning.
- Its spacious shelf and pan floor also provides a generous play space for your pet as well as preventing dangerous falls.
- Designed to prevent any escapes, this cage features “critter-proof” dual-locking door latches for a secure and easy one-handed operation.
- The Home Sweet Home Pet Cage is available in 3 sizes— Small, Medium, and Large— so you can get the right size for your cavies.
- It features a deep base that is constructed of high-quality plastic.
- The base is actually deep enough that your guinea pigs won’t be able to escape even if the cage door is left open.
- However, you can also fill it with hay or comfy bedding, which guinea pigs love.
- Your pet will stay cozy and warm as they play and stroll around their cage. Without any litter pan, this cage offers plenty of room to run around.
- In addition, this cage has a single opening on the side; however, it is easy to remove along with the entire top portion for easy feeding and cleaning. Its wire is powder coated and chew-proof, so you won’t have to worry about your pet escaping.
- The Ferplast Krolik 140 Plus is a large cage for guinea pigs and rabbits measuring 55.91 x 23.62 x 19.69 inches. It features an innovative design with a wire net and cold bottom, offering more living space for your pet.
- Its base is deep and large for collecting sawdust and litter. On the front side, there is an opening door that allows for easy access when feeding and cleaning.
- In addition, this cage is fully equipped with all your pets’ needs to live comfortably. It has a partition with steps as well as a large shelf where you could place the included feeding bowl.
- It also includes feeder hay as well as a drinking bottle with a special hook to securely attach it to the cage net.
- This cage is super easy to assemble and disassemble with the knock-down kit. Lightweight and space-saving, this cage can easily be taken with you during vacations and travel.
- Ideal for a variety of small animals, including guinea pigs and rabbits, this small animal cage has enough space to keep your furry friend comfortable and relaxed.
- It features 2 large doors— one on the side and one on top— that allows you easy access for feeding, playtime, and cleaning.
- In addition, its wire has a non-toxic powder-coated finish that can be cleaned up quickly while the extra deep plastic pan helps contain mess and litter.
- The tubular steel stand sits on casters so that you can easily move it from room to room or to the great outdoors.
Guinea pigs are adorable and fun pets to keep. However, owning a guinea pig requires that you provide them a comfortable and spacious space to live in. In addition, these furry balls of energy cannot be allowed free-roaming and running around your home.
The above products are one of the best cages available marketed for guinea pigs, so make sure to pick the cage that suits your needs and one that will ensure your pet’s safety and comfort.
Index Table: Top Rated Guinea Pig Cages
|1||Living World Deluxe Habitat - Guinea Pig”s Cage||Living World||98|
|2||MidWest Homes for Pets Guinea Habitat Plus - Cage for Guinea Pigs||MidWest||97.8|
|3||Ferplast Guinea Pig Cage - Guinea Pig Cage||Ferplast||96.8|
|4||AmazonBasics Pet Habitat - Cage for Guinea Pigs||AmazonBasics||97.6|
|5||Petsfit Wood Cage - Extra Large Guinea Pig Cages Indoor||Petsfit||97.4|
|6||Kaytee Complete Guinea Pig Kit - Guinea Pig”s Cage||Kaytee||97|
|7||MidWest Homes for Pets Wabbitat Deluxe XL - Guinea Pig Cage||MidWest||97|
|8||LANGXUN 16pcs Metal Wire DIY Animal Cage - Guinea Pig”s Cage||LANGXUN||96.8|
|9||Midwest Homes for Pets Deluxe Critter Nation - Cage for Guinea Pigs||Midwest||96.6|
|10||Ware Manufacturing Home Sweet Home Cage - Cage for Guinea Pigs||Ware Manufacturing||97|
|11||Ferplast Krolik 140 Plus Cage - Cage for Guinea Pigs||Ferplast Krolik||96|
|12||Prevue Hendryx Small Animal Cage - Guinea Pig Cage||Prevue||97.2|
Table of Contents
- Important Factors To Consider
- Reviews: Best Guinea Pig Cages 2020
- Living World® Deluxe Habitat Guinea Pig”s Cage
- MidWest® Homes for Pets Guinea Habitat Plus Cage for Guinea Pigs
- Ferplast® Guinea Pig Cage Guinea Pig Cage
- AmazonBasics® Pet Habitat Cage for Guinea Pigs
- Petsfit® Wood Cage Extra Large Guinea Pig Cages Indoor
- Kaytee® Complete Guinea Pig Kit Guinea Pig”s Cage
- MidWest® Homes for Pets Wabbitat Deluxe XL Guinea Pig Cage
- LANGXUN® 16pcs Metal Wire DIY Animal Cage Guinea Pig”s Cage
- Midwest® Homes for Pets Deluxe Critter Nation Cage for Guinea Pigs
- Ware Manufacturing® Home Sweet Home Cage Cage for Guinea Pigs
- Ferplast Krolik® 140 Plus Cage Cage for Guinea Pigs
- Prevue® Hendryx Small Animal Cage Guinea Pig Cage
- Index Table: Top Rated Guinea Pig Cages