Guinea pigs, or as some owners adorably call them “cavies,” are awesome little pets capable of providing so much love and entertainment.
They may be small; however, they pack a lot of personality with those little bodies.
If a bit skittish, they are friendly and sweet, but they are low maintenance, making them a great beginner pet.
Like any pets, they need a certain degree of caring, including a balanced and healthy diet that meets their specific nutritional needs.
You can achieve this by providing your adorable pet with the best guinea pig food on the market.
Important Factors To Consider
So, how do you know if a guinea pig food is right for your pet?
As I’ve mentioned before, guinea pigs require a specific diet to ensure that they are healthy and happy. And the best guinea pig food will meet those specific dietary requirements and round out their nutrition.
Here some factors you need to consider to determine a good guinea pig food;
- Nutrition – This is probably the most important factor that you need to consider. Young guinea pigs need higher protein and more nutrients than adults. On the other hand, adult guinea pigs require at least 18 – 20 percent protein, 14 – 16 percent fiber, and low fat, ideally 5 percent or under.
- Ingredients – Guinea pig foods are formulated with different ingredients. You need to choose a guinea pig food made of high-quality ingredients and offer a lot of nutrition. Look for foods packed with natural ingredients and have a huge focus on hay and grass to keep it in line with a guinea pig’s natural diet. Some guinea pig food brands boast about their hand-selected ingredients. This may ensure that the guinea pig food is made of the highest quality ingredients possible. It is also important that you get a guinea pig without any harmful chemicals, fillers, artificial colors or flavors, and preservatives on its ingredients. Ensure that the ingredients are grown naturally and have not been exposed to pesticides or insecticides.
- Form – The form of the food is quite important for their health. Cavies require hard food to maintain their constantly growing teeth at the right length and keep their jaws healthy. Foods that are too soft will not work in these areas, and your guinea pigs will require supplemental chew toys. Also, you will find a variety of food available. Some brand offers hay and grass foods. Others offer pelleted form, in dried veggies, grains, and seeds, or a combination of both. Whatever you choose, make sure that you add variety to ensure that your guinea pig is getting all the nutrition it needs.
- Life Stage – Your guinea pig’s cage is also something that influences what they need to eat. Growing guinea pigs require more protein and more food since they are still growing. Meanwhile, adults require less protein since they spend a lot less energy in their life. If your guinea pig is already 1-year old, then it is safe to start feeding it with guinea pigs foods made for adults.
- Flavor – Guinea pigs have various personalities, and some can be so picky with what they eat. Thus, you might want to read reviews from owners on how their own cavies responded to the food. You might also want to start with small quantities of food first to make sure that your pet will like it.
- Brand – In terms of guinea pig foods, the brand should be considered. Cheaper food, which an unknown brand makes, is typically cheaper because of the lack of quality ingredients and the rich in fillers, which causes malnutrition in your pets. On the other hand, reputable brands have more to lose if their products give bad results; thus, they ensure to create only high-quality foods. So, you must invest in foods made by established brands.
Reviews: Best Guinea Pig Food
Here we have listed some of the top-rated Guinea Pig Foods available today;
- An expert animal nutritionist developed the Forti Diet Pro Health Guinea Pig Food from Kaytee to ensure that your furry friend gets the proper nutrition they need.
- It features tiny pelleted food in light brown colors with fun speckles of green and blue pellets to appeal and entice your little pet.
- It is rich in natural antioxidants for immune support and good general health, and prebiotics and probiotics to support good digestive health.
- It also contains some larger and crunchier pieces that help support good dental health and encourage natural chewing behavior.
- The guinea pig food is secured in a cloth sack to ensure that the taste and freshness are preserved. You can get it in various sizes of 25, 10, and 5 pounds to meet your pet’s needs.
- Rich in natural antioxidants.
- Supports the digestive system.
- Large and crunchy pieces for dental health.
- Various sizes available.
- Quality could be improved.
- The eCOTRITION Essential Food Blend offers a nutritious mix of fresh ingredients and is specially formulated for guinea pigs and birds.
- This nutritious blend combines premium grains, veggies, nuts, and seeds with added minerals and vitamins for a complete, healthy diet.
- Boasting a variety of brightly colored pellets to provide appeal, this guinea pig food helps your pet’s growth and maintenance for good overall health.
- This blend has added vitamin C that ensures your guinea pig has a stronger immune system, and prevents illnesses.
- The food comes in a resealable bag to ensure freshness and flavor last longer. You get to choose from 2 bag sizes— 2 pounds and 5 pounds.
- Nutritious mix of fresh ingredients.
- Brightly colored pellets for appeal.
- Added vitamin C.
- Resealable bag for freshness.
- Some users said that pellets disintegrate after a long time of storage.
- A reputable company, Small Pet Select, offers a premium guinea pig food that s also ridiculously flavorful; your furry friend will surely want more.
- It is a pelleted form with timothy hay being its primary ingredients, providing your pet a natural diet.
- The company makes this guinea pig food in small batches to ensure quality and freshness.
- It boasts 2 percent fat, 25 percent fiber, and 14 percent protein, which is ideal for adult guinea pigs. Also, calcium is at an optimal level for stronger bones and teeth.
- Proudly made in the US, this guinea pig food is backed with a 100 percent money-back guarantee for risk-free buying. You get to choose from 3 sizes— 5 pounds, 10 pounds, and 25 pounds.
- Reputable company.
- Focus on natural ingredients and timothy hay.
- Good nutritional content.
- Milled in small batches for freshness.
- Contains some added sugar (molasses).
- If you are looking for a good pellet guinea pig food high in fiber and vitamin C, this one from Oxbow is a great choice. At an affordable price tag, this 10-pound guinea pig food bag is made of high-quality ingredients.
- Each serving contains 2 percent fat, 25 percent fiber, and 14 percent protein including a 10 percent of water and optimal phosphorus-to-calcium ratio for good and healthy body weight.
- It is lower in calcium, calories, and protein than the standard alfalfa-based pellet products, making it great for adult and old guinea pigs.
- High in fiber and vitamin C.
- Balanced nutritional content suitable for adult and older guinea pigs.
- Some guinea pigs don’t like it.
- Made specifically for guinea pigs, the Wild Harvest Guinea Pig Advanced Nutrition Diet is naturally delicious and contains a well-balanced variety of nutrients for your furry friend.
- Its fortified formula features a good variety of high-fiber pellets, timothy hay, and a delicious mix of healthy veggies and fruits for complete nutrition.
- The food blend helps deliver important protein, fiber, minerals, and vitamins that support a strong and healthy body. The varied food also helps replicate your guinea pig’s natural diet and encourages natural foraging behavior.
- It comes in a resealable plastic bag that keeps the contents fresh at all times and easy storage. And you get to choose from 2 bag sizes— 4 pounds and 8 pounds.
- Specially formulated for guinea pigs.
- High-fiber pellets.
- Encourage natural foraging behavior.
- Comes in a resealable plastic bag.
- More seeds.
- Another great guinea pig food from Kaytee features hand-selected timothy hay to ensure the high-quality long fiber strands and proper leaf-to-stem ration to support a good digestive system.
- These timothy hays were grown in ideal ecological locations for climate control and moisture and stored in a protected environment to ensure quality and optimal nutritional value.
- Available in various sizes— 96 oz., 12 pounds, 2 packs of 12 pounds, or 3 packs of 12 pounds, this food pack is not only for guinea pigs but is also suitable for small animals such as rabbits, chinchillas, and other small animals.
- Available in various sizes.
- Aids in chewing behavior and digestion.
- High-quality western Timothy hay.
- No additives or preservatives.
- Short cuts of hay.
- Not fortified with vitamin C.
- If you are looking for a premium gourmet food bled for your furry friend, then the Higgins Sunburst Gourmet Blend is just what you need.
- This guinea pig food is loaded with natural goodness and is a nutritional blend of wholesome nuts, legumes, seeds, grains, veggies, fruits, and other healthy ingredients.
- The variety provided with this guinea pig food provides a delightful chewing experience for your pet and encourage natural foraging instincts.
- Enriched with DHA omega fatty acids as well as stomach-friendly probiotics, this guinea pig food helps support the optimal health and growth of your guinea pig.
- What’s more, is that it contains no preservatives and artificial flavors and colors so that your guinea pig only enjoy all-natural and organic goodness.
- It also has enough fiber from pumpkin seed, safflower, shelled peanuts, alfalfa pellets, wheat, and oats. The package comes in a resealable bag to ensure that freshness and taste are preserved.
- Good amount of fiber.
- Healthy blend.
- No artificial colors.
- Comes in a resealable bag.
- digestive probiotics.
- Some guinea pigs tend to eat just the veggies.
- Zipper closure easily rips.
- Another popular brand in the small pet food space, Supreme Petfoods, offers a nutritious food mix for guinea pigs.
- The Gerty Guinea Pig Tasty Mix contains many natural ingredients, including fennel and dandelion, that are high in fiber and help promote healthy digestion and teeth.
- It has also added vitamin C to meet your guinea pig’s nutritional need for a good immune system and linseed for healthy skin and coat.
- The guinea pig food contains no added sugar, but it is still a tasty meal for your cavies that will give them essential nutrients and vitamins.
- The food comes in various sizes and shapes and includes Lucerne, peas, wheat, oats, and maize that encourages your pet’s natural foraging instincts.
- Nutritionally complete.
- Lots of high-quality ingredients.
- Variety encourages natural foraging behavior.
- Added vitamin C.
- Generally more pricey.
- Contains alfalfa, which is too high in calcium.
- This Guinea Pig Food from Kytee was developed and specially formulated to ensure that your furry friend gets the proper nutrition needed for a healthy and long life.
- This is a pelleted food made with hand-selected and nutritious timothy hay that helps support the digestive system with its high fiber content.
- Also, it contains added vitamin C to boost your pet’s immunity.
- The formula is also supplemented with crunchy fruits and vegetables for added vitamins and minerals, supports good dental health, and encourages natural foraging instincts.
- The guinea pig food comes in a resealable bag to ensure freshness and provide you convenient storage.
- High in fiber for digestion.
- Supplemented with minerals, vitamins, and probiotics.
- Made primarily of timothy hay.
- Includes veggies and fruits for variety.
- Pellets are fragile and turn to fine dust.
- Guinea pigs tend to pick out veggie pieces only.
- Oxbow offers their own Western Timothy Hay for your guinea for healthy digestion and maintains clean and healthy teeth.
- This guinea pig food is high in fiber but low in protein, s it is perfect for adult and older guinea pigs.
- Woven by hand, this timothy hay is created without wires, chemicals, or thread, making it safe for your furry friends to eat.
- It is specially formulated with 15 percent moisture, 32 percent fiber, 1.5 percent fat, and 7 percent protein.
- The product is fibrous and contains more stalks, which guinea pigs love, and has less filler than other products. The guinea pig food comes in 90, 50, 40, 15, and 9-ounce bags so that you can choose the right one for your pet’s needs.
- Widely recommended by veterinarians.
- Created without threads, chemicals, and wires.
- Available in a variety of sizes.
- Sweet-smelling fragrant hay.
- The Sunseed Guinea Pig Formula is a great food to add to your furry friend’s diet.
- It features brown, pellet-shaped food that gives your guinea pig the nourishment it needs.
- This guinea pig food is a high-fiber diet made with a nutritious blend of veggies, timothy hay, and fortified vitamins and nutrients.
- Sunseed also added extra vitamin C to boost your furry friend’s immunity against illnesses.
- It is also filled with the right amount of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals for your pet’s overall health.
- It is also fortified with DHA, omega 3s and probiotics for proper digestion and good growth and development.
- Packed with vitamin C for immunity.
- Formulated with DHA, omega 3s and probiotics.
- High fiber content.
- Tasty and nutritious blend of veggies.
- Some guinea pigs don’t like it.
- The SupremePetFoods Selective is a nutritionally balanced food for your guinea pigs. It uses only the highest quality of ingredients and is developed to be palatable without added sugar.
- This 4-pound guinea pig food contains no artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives, ensuring that your pet only eats a natural diet.
- Each mouthful contains healthy and balanced nutrition for your pets, and the pellets come in uniform sizes, so you do not have to worry about selective feeding.
- It contains natural flavors such as fennel and dandelion that bring sweetness without relying on unhealthy fruit syrups, sugar, and molasses that can cause obesity and dental issues.
- The guinea pig food is also fortified with omega-3 oils from linseed that helps regulate your pet’s shiny coat as well as healthy skin.
- The high levels of fiber ensure a good digestive system while longer chewing tie ensures good dental health. Also, it contains a good amount of vitamin C that helps in your pet’s immunity and overall health.
- Contains no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
- Includes omega-3 oil for healthy skin and shiny coat.
- High level of fiber for digestions.
- Longer chewing times for good dental health.
- Good amount of vitamin C.
- Contains alfalfa.
- Not suitable for adults.
- The Standlee Premium Timothy Grass for small animals offers high fiber and low levels of calcium and protein, keeping your pet’s digestive system working properly.
- It features long-stem fiber that encourages your guinea pig’s natural foraging behavior, which is important for its overall dental health.
- This timothy grass is all-natural without any chemicals or preservatives added and is Certified Noxious Weed Free.
- What’s more, is that the hay is hand-sorted for packaging to ensure only the highest quality.
- No chemicals added.
- Certified noxious weed-free.
- Farm fresh hay.
- Some users receive low-quality batch with powdered hays or dry, thick stems.
It can be tempting to go to your local pet store and buy whatever guinea pig food you first see. However, cavies have specific dietary needs that must be met to ensure good health. And to maintain their good health is by feeding them high-quality food specifically crafted to fit those needs.
The guinea pigs from the above list will ensure that those nutritional needs are met and keep your cavies happy and healthy.
Index Table: Top Rated Guinea Pig Foods
Table of Contents
- Important Factors To Consider
- Reviews: Best Guinea Pig Food
- Kaytee® Forti Diet Pro Health Guinea Pig Food Guinea Pig’s Food
- eCOTRITION® Essential Blend Guinea Pig Food Food for Guinea Pigs
- Small Pet Select® Guinea Pig Pellet Guinea Pig Food
- Oxbow® Essentials Adult Guinea Pig Food Food for Guinea Pigs
- Wild Harvest® Guinea Pig Advanced Nutrition Diet Food for Guinea Pigs
- Kaytee® Timothy Hay Guinea Pig’s Food
- Higgins® Sunburst Gourmet Blend Guinea Pig Food Mix Guinea Pig Food
- Supreme Petfoods® Tiny Friends Farm Gerty Guinea Pig Tasty Mix Guinea Pig’s Food
- Kaytee® Timothy Complete Plus Guinea Pig food Food for Guinea Pigs
- Oxbow® Western Timothy Hay Food for Guinea Pigs
- Sunseed Vita ® Prima Guinea Pig Formula Food for Guinea Pigs
- SupremePetFoods® Selective Guinea Pig Fortified Diet Guinea Pig Food
- Standlee Hay Company® Premium Western Timothy Grass Guinea Pig Food
- Index Table: Top Rated Guinea Pig Foods