Guinea pigs can become too smelly and dirty even with the instinctive grooming and may even contract fleas and ticks as well as getting infection and skin irritation.
So, if there’s a noticeable foul odor pointing at your cavy, then it is better to reach for the best guinea pig shampoo and give him a bath, no matter what it takes!
Why May a Guinea Pig Need a Bath?
You probably didn’t know this, but guinea pigs are somewhat like cats on the OCD scale— they are extremely hygienic creatures and like to constantly lick their fur throughout the day in order to remove any dirty spots.
That may cause you to wonder— do they even need to take a bath?
Well, guinea pigs like to think that they are tougher than the buns and are not likely to go into shocks like rabbits. They also do not have dense furs like chinchillas that drying is not a problem. The problem is, guinea pigs are not a huge fan of water.
And even if you have a fussy cavy that fights his way out of your grasp when seeing his “sink tub,” they still need to take a bath once in a while.
Important Factors To Consider When Choosing a Guinea Pig Shampoo
- Natural Ingredients – The best types of guinea pig shampoos are those that are made from natural and organic ingredients. This means that every element used in formulating the shampoo can be found in nature, which ensures that what you use is actually safe for your critter. Most often, shampoos which claim to be organic and natural make use or oil essences, vitamin, and some herbal extracts. Thus it is crucial that you go through the ingredient list of the shampoo that you are looking to purchase.
- Chemical-Free – Looking through the ingredients, there are certain elements that you need to avoid. Some of the ingredients that you need to avoid include Parabens, Isopropyl alcohol, Perfumes, Artificial colors, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Formaldehyde. Although there are various ingredients that you need to avoid, these are the most extremely common in pet grooming products. And although these are not inherently harmful, they can cause damage to guinea pigs with sensitive skin and can dry out their skin and fur. Thus, it is important that you choose ingredients as natural as possible, and Google away any specific ingredients that do not sound right to you.
- Coat and Skin type – In order to determine the best kind of shampoo for your cavy, it is crucial that you determine his coat and skin type. There are some cavies with extremely sensitive skin. Such pets need a mild formula with ingredients such as aloe vera, rosewater, and oatmeal. Cavies with dry and itchy skin, on the other hand, are typically at risk of allergies; thus, they will need a hypoallergenic shampoo. Guinea pig breeds with longer hair will need something that makes their fur more manageable and moisturized. Lastly, guinea pigs with normal skin and fur do well with general shampoos that offers deep and complete cleansing.
- Fragrance – One of the big reason why people use shampoo is that they want their pets to smell nice or at least smell better than they did. But, as previously mentioned, artificial fragrances can be harmful to your guinea pig. But, it does not mean that you go with unscented shampoos. Look for guinea pig shampoos with natural scents or fragrances added. Most natural shampoos achieve this by adding natural oils or any ingredients that offer a pleasant scent. As long as the fragrance or scents are not artificial, it should be safe for your furry critters.
- Shampoo Type – If you have this cavy-turned-monster-during-bath time or just always on the go that you do not have enough time to bath and dry your cavy, the market offers waterless or dry shampoos. These kinds of shampoos do not need water in order to keep your guinea pig’s fur clean. However, if you have the time, and your guinea pig is not that fussy about the water, then foamy, lather shampoos are still the best for a total clean.
- Amount – One thing about guinea pigs is that they have extremely sensitive skin, much more so than human babies’ skin. Thus, frequent baths can strip the natural oils from their skin. This means that guinea pigs are rarely given a bath, at least once a month, for long-haired cavies. This means that you can get the smallest size of shampoo, and it would last you for years to come, maybe even throughout the lifetime of your cavy. But, if you have an army of cavy, then, of course, it is up to you what size of shampoo you are going to get.
- Price – You will definitely not going to break the bank in order to get a high-quality guinea pig shampoo. As a matter of fact, the guinea pig shampoo listed on this review range from Guinea Pig’s Shampoo3 – Guinea Pig’s Shampoo15 only, depending on the size of the bottle.
Our Top Pick of the Best Guinea Pig Shampoos
Now, that you already know what to look for in a good cavy shampoo, here are our top recommendations for the best guinea pig shampoos this 2020 to help you get started;
- This cleansing shampoo from Johnson’s Veterinary Product is specially formulated to be non-irritant, mild, and gentle shampoo suitable for guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, rats, and other small animals.
- The shampoo gently cleans and deodorizes your pet’s fur and skin to keep them smelling fresh and clean while also maintaining your pet’s delicate pH balance.
- Boasting a 4.3-star rating on Amazon, the Kaytee Squeaky is a cheap and affordable bathing choice for your guinea pigs.
- The shampoo features a formulation that is totally tearless, so it won’t irritate your pet’s skin, coat, and eyes.
- In addition, it is pH balanced, making it suitable for guinea pigs, ferrets, rabbits, and other small pets.
- This 8-ounce critter shampoo helps eliminate foul odors and provide a long-lasting baby powder fragrance.
- With its gentle formulation, you will be able to remove dirt, leaving your pet’s skin and fur soft and conditioned.
- Earthbath offers all-natural pet shampoos that are totally safe for all kinds of pets.
- This particular formulation, the Oatmeal, and Aloe Shampoo, are specifically used for pets with itchy and dry skin.
- The organic aloe vera and oatmeal help prevent skin irritation, moisturizing dry and sensitive skin, and promote healing.
- In addition, the shampoo is pH balanced and totally soap-free that thoroughly cleans and deodorize, leaving your guinea pig’s skin and coat brilliant soft, clean, plush, and smelling better than ever.
- With a nice scent from natural ingredients, you do not have to worry about your pet’s safety since the shampoo is also cruelty-free and 100 percent biodegradable.
- In addition to the Oatmeal and Aloe formula, Earthbath also offers various formulation for their shampoo for specific uses such as Mango Tango, Sweet Orange Oil, Tea Tree, and Aloe, Hypoallergenic, and so much more.
- If you are always on the go or it takes a fight every after a bath, then you will definitely benefit from this quick application, dry shampoo from Kaytee.
- The Quick & Clean Critter Dry Shampoo is a specially formulated no-rinse shampoo that gently loosens dirt and grime from the coat, dissolves oil on the skin, and deodorizes your pet’s fur and skin.
- This leaves your furry critter smelling fresh and clean without using a drop of water.
- This non-irritating leave-on formula is gentle and pH-balanced, making it suitable for guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, and any other small animals.
- If you are looking for a natural, organic, and high-quality Pet Shampoo that does not sting, burn or cause an itch on your pet, this one from Odie and Cody Natural Pet Products is your best bet. Suitable for guinea pigs, kittens, puppies, cats, dogs, and more, this highly-concentrated shampoo goes a long way in keeping your pet clean and fresh.
- The shampoo is safe, gentle, and hypoallergenic, making it suitable for pets with sensitive skin.
- Using ingredients such as organic aloe vera, rosemary extracts, and other organic essential oils, this shampoo features maximum moisturizing properties that help soothe and give relief to dry, itchy and irritated skin.
- In addition, the shampoo is made without any chemicals, synthetic ingredients, alcohol, sulfates, artificial fragrances, and colors, or any harmful ingredients which could be absorbed into your pet’s skin.
- The shampoo is also biodegradable, vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free.
- Proudly made in the USA, you can try this pet shampoo from Odie and Cody Natural Pet Products, totally risk –free.
- The company offers a satisfaction guarantee, so you will never have to question their shampoo’s quality.
- Taking the top place is the Arm and Hammer For Pets Tearless Shampoo and is an Amazon’s Choice for “Guinea Pig Shampoo All-Natural.”
- This 237 mL shampoo deeply cleans and nourishes your guinea pig’s coat and fur, so that they smell fresh and clean after getting a bath.
- It features an enriched formula powered by baking soda in order to keep your cavies smelling fresh for longer.
- It is also tearless, which takes out the stress from bathing with is a gentle and mild formulation that will not dry out their fur or skin and sting their eyes.
- In addition, the shampoo is pH balanced for small animals, making it perfect for guinea pigs, ferrets, rabbits, and any other small critters.
- This next product is advertised and specially formulated for dogs and cats.
- However, it does not necessarily mean that it is not suitable for your guinea pigs or other small animals.
- This plant-based shampoo deeply moisturizes and soothe the dry and irritated skin of your pet.
- It contains premium natural ingredients such as aloe vera, coconut, oat proteins, vitamins E, D, and A, and fruit extracts that are all safe for your guinea pig.
- The gentle baking soda and oatmeal formulation helps soothe itching and inflamed skin while moisturizing and keeping their fur conditioned and silky soft.
- The shampoo provides a wonderful apple scent that not only keeps your pet smelling sweet but also deodorized and fights off fungal infections with its antiseptic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties.
- In addition, the shampoo is made without any harmful ingredients such as alcohol, detergent, parabens, Ethyl alcohol, and SLS.
- And all-natural foaming pet cleanser, this product from Citrus Magic is suitable for hard-to-bathe pets.
- The cleanser features a unique formula that includes enzymes that help clean and remove foul odors on your pet’s coats in just seconds.
- Perfect for fussy small pets including rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, ferrets, and kittens, this fragrance-free formula requires no water or rinsing to clean and deodorize your pet.
- It also features an easy-to-use foaming pump for easy and convenient dispensing into your hand.
- Formulated and proudly made in the US, the Fluppets Pet Shampoo is certified USDA organic and uses 100 percent natural ingredients that ensure your pet’s safety.
- It contains a natural essential oil blend of organic aloe vera, rosemary, and lemongrass as well as saponified organic oil of jojoba, olive, and coconut.
- Highly concentrated and non-toxic, this shampoo offers a liquid, watery consistency that lathers well and perfect for pets with extra-sensitive skin.
- It contains no synthetic fragrances or colors, petrochemicals, sulfates, phosphates, phthalates, and parabens than can harm and irritate your pet’s skin.
- A unique blend of ingredients, TropiClean offers tropical ingredients such as coconut and papaya that pampers and deeply moisturize your pet’s skin in a rich and luxurious lather.
- Papaya and kiwi ingredients help in replenishing the natural moisture balance of your pet’s fur and skin and easily detangles hair for easy brushing.
- This 2-in-1 pet shampoo and conditioner helps keep your pet’s coat and fur so soft and shiny and keeps them feeling fresh and smelling great.
- All-natural and safe to use, this 16-ounce bottle of shampoo is formulated using natural ingredients without that non-toxic chemicals.
- So, you can rest assured that it does not contain phosphates, triclosan, formaldehyde, chlorine, phthalates, parabens, synthetic fragrances, dyes, and caustics that can harm and irritate your pet’s skin.
- This shampoo helps save time and efficiently cleans your small pets without a drop of water, making it a great solution for pets who dislike bathing. Super easy to use, this pet shampoo comes with a spray head that allows you to liberally spray on fur that effectively deodorizes and clean your pet’s skin and fur.
- Furthermore, in order to accommodate everyone’s preferences, this shampoo comes in 4 wonderful scents— tea tree, oatmeal mango, citrus, and lavenders.
- All fragrances come from natural essential oils without synthetic fragrances to prevent skin irritation and sensitivities.
- Keep your furry friend smelling great while also promoting a healthy and soft coat with this pet shampoo from Top Performance.
- This shampoo features a formulation that helps in preventing tangles and mats in your pet’s fur, so it is super easy to comb out after a bath. This is particularly beneficial for long-haired guinea pigs, as well as cats and dogs.
- The shampoo offers a pleasing scent that lasts for weeks after the bath and is also specially formulated to match the natural pH balance of your pet’s skin and coat.
- In addition, the shampoo is also available in various sizes— 17 ounces, 2.5 gallons, 1 gallon, and 5 gallons.
- Suitable for pets with yeast skin irritation and hot spots due to tick and flea infestation, this Quick-Relief Neem Shampoo should provide relief and healing on infected areas.
- In addition, this shampoo also helps prevent infections caused by eczema, ringworm, and hair loss due to constant chewing, licking, and biting.
- This medicated shampoo is used by veterinarians and professional groomers to eliminate skin problems in most pets.
- Thanks to its anti-microbial, anti-itch, anti-fungal, and antiseptic properties, this shampoo naturally deodorizes while providing relief of irritation and itching.
- Safe for kittens, puppies, and can be used on small animals such as guinea pigs, this medicated shampoo uses a blend of herbal oil in a mild shampoo base in order to provide a healing bath.
Keeping your guinea pigs healthy and happy is more than just providing yummy treats or keeping the guinea pig cage clean.
Although guinea pigs hate the water, they also need to be bathed once in a while so they won’t have a foul odor and prevent most skin infections and other health issues.
So, if you want your beloved cavy to smell fresh and clean, the best guinea pig shampoos listed from above should definitely help you with that!
Index Table: Top Rated Guinea Pig Shampoos
Table of Contents
- Why May a Guinea Pig Need a Bath?
- Important Factors To Consider When Choosing a Guinea Pig Shampoo
- Our Top Pick of the Best Guinea Pig Shampoos
- Johnson’s Veterinary Products® Cleansing Shampoo Small Animals Guinea Pig’s Shampoo
- Kaytee® Squeaky Clean Critter Shampoo Shampoo for Guinea Pigs
- Earthbath® All-Natural Pet Shampoo Guinea Pig Shampoo
- Kaytee® Clean Critter Dry Shampoo Shampoo for Guinea Pigs
- Odie and Cody® Natural Pet Products Organic Shampoo for Guinea Pigs
- Hammer for Pets® Tearless Shampoo for Small Animals Guinea Pig’s Shampoo
- Bodhi® Dog Anti-Itch Shampoo Guinea Pig Shampoo
- Citrus Magic® Foaming Pet Cleanser Guinea Pig’s Shampoo
- Fluppets® Pet Shampoo Shampoo for Guinea Pigs
- TropiClean® Papaya and Coconut Pet Shampoo Shampoo for Guinea Pigs
- Begley’s® Natural Waterless Pet Shampoo Shampoo for Guinea Pigs
- Top Performance® Fresh Pet Shampoo Guinea Pig Shampoo
- Nature’s Specialties® Mfg Quick Relief Neem Shampoo Guinea Pig Shampoo
- Index Table: Top Rated Guinea Pig Shampoos