Hay forms an integral part of a Rabbits diet, and the right type of Hay should be provided on a daily basis.
If you are looking for the best hay in the market today, I prepared a list that includes the best hay products you find.
To help you choose the best, I also included a short buying guide that tackles the important things to look for in hay.
Let’s get into it.
Things To Consider When Buying Hay For Rabbits
There are many important factors to consider when choosing the best hay for your rabbits. Such considerations will help you tremendously to decide whether the product you are considering is appropriate for your pet.
Here are the key factors that need to be taken into account before making a purchase:
- Size – Size is the second important point that you need to consider before buying rabbit hay. However, it will depend on the age of your pet. For example, consider getting smaller hay if your rabbit is still young. On the other hand, if it’s old enough, you’ll need larger hay to meet the increasing needs of your rabbit.
- Brand – While the brand of the hay is not that much important, it is something you also need to note about. If you want to give consistent quality meals to your pet, choose hay products under the same brand. High-quality hay products will only be obtained with established brands. It is the reason why many customers stick to the most popular hay brands than those that are new.
- Freshness – The freshness of the hay is also important when choosing the best for your rabbit. For animals like guinea pigs, chinchillas, and rabbits, fresh hay is tastier. Usually, rabbits refuse to eat hays that lack freshness. For this reason, brands and customers put freshness as their top priority. To make sure that you are buying fresh hay, choose the ones that are hand-selected, stored, and handled in a breathable box or packaging. It helps to keep the leaves and stem of the hay green and fresh for a longer period.
- Your Budget And The Product Price – Always consider that hay is available at different prices. So before buying hay, ask yourself if you are willing to buy in a cheaper or pricey brand. If your budget is flexible, you can ignore this factor since you can freely choose what you want to purchase. But if not, you have to stick in your budget since it is better to buy hay under the same brand for consistency. To get the best value out of your money, make sure not to be tricked by the price tags. Nowadays, you can get cheaper hay with quality that equals the pricey products.
- Value – Naturally, rabbits eat a lot. Although the food they often eat is dried grass, remember that its maximum amount will add a lot of value to your rabbit’s lifetime. Search for hay that comes in huge value. Or a product that you can purchase at an affordable price in bulk.
- Dust-Free – Dust is one of the terrible things that every rabbit owner faces when it comes to rabbit food and hay. Dust can irritate rabbits that may lead to detriments in their health. As much as possible, ensure that the hay you will buy is well-packed in clean and dust-free storage. Researching about the process of harvesting and packaging of the brand also contributes to a better buying decision.
Frequently Asked Questions About Rabbit Hay
Here are some of the frequently asked questions of rabbit owners about hay. Check them out. Some of these queries might be one of yours.
Q: How Much Hay Should I Give My Rabbit?
A: Before feeding your rabbit with hay, you may wonder how much you should give them. But it is said that giving an unlimited amount of hay to your rabbit is safe because they have been exposed in a natural supply of such food in the wild.
Q: What Should I Do If My Rabbit Refuse To Eat Hay?
A: Rabbits don’t usually refuse to eat hay. On the other hand, they may do so. Let us take a closer look at this. If your pet doesn’t eat its hay even without partaking other food, contact the vet immediately. Rabbits can immediately lose their health if they don’t eat food. For this reason, it’s always best to have a medical professional to check your pet.
Reviews: The Best Hay For Rabbits
To help you choose the best hay for your rabbit, here are some of the rabbit hay that I looked at. Check them out;
- This hay from Standlee Hay Company is hand-selected with rabbits in mind. It is 100% natural, contains no additives, and you can choose from different sizes, including 48, 18, and 25 ounces.
- If you are among those pet owners who want to test the product first before buying in bulk, the varying sizes of this Premium Timothy Grass are ideal.
- All of these hay products contain a high amount of fiber, a moderate amount of protein, and low in calories.
- Aside from rabbits, this hay is also ideal for cavies, guinea pigs, hamsters, chinchillas, gerbils, and so much more. It also promotes digestive and dental health since it requires chewing.
- Generally, this rabbit hay can help you to keep your bunny thriving, full, and happy. Let your pet enjoy chewing this high-quality hay all day and night.
- Next in the list is the Orchard Grass Hay of Small Pet Select.
- It arrives in a convenient and secure box that you can easily use and store.
- Aside from ease and convenience, its packaging also helps to keep the hay fresh.
- It means that your rabbits can eat excellent-quality Orchard Grass Hay once delivered.
- If you want to keep your rabbits happy, give them an unlimited supply of this high-quality Orchard Grass Hay. You can also feed it to your guinea pigs and chinchillas.
- Another great source of rabbit food is this Premium 2nd Cut Timothy Grass Hay from HayRabbit. What’s great about this product is that they are freshly packed within just a few days of harvest.
- You can also observe that its packaging allows enough fresh air to circulate inside so the hay can breathe. This way, it prevents the reduction of the hay’s quality.
- While its box let enough fresh air to go inside, sunlight can’t. So, you can ensure that the hay you’ll receive is still green and appealing for your rabbits.
- HayRabbit shows impressive dedication in terms of improving their products.
- All in all, Premium 2nd Cut Timothy Grass Hay is a great product that is safe and healthy for rabbits and other small animals like gerbils and guinea pigs.
- For those who loved the quality and packaging and of HayRabbit products, their Premium Orchard Grass hay is something you must check out.
- Aside from rabbits, orchard grass is also great for a guinea pig, chinchilla, and more.
- This rabbit hay is freshly harvested from the farm.
- It is non-GMO, which ensures that your pet is healthy and away from the possible risks of GMO products.
- With this high-quality orchard grass hay, your rabbit can get enough protein, calcium, and more fiber. If your pet is allergic to timothy grass hay, this product is a great alternative.
- Provide plenty of water and orchard grass hay to your pets to keep them full and healthy. Chewing hay is good for their dental and digestive health, so you don’t have to worry if they consume it all day long.
- Oxbow 15 oz. Oat Hay provides both nutrition and environmental enhancement for your rabbit. It is good grass hay, loaded with nutrition and unique smell.
- For little rabbits, the scent of Oat Hay is very irresistible. So, upon giving them this hay, you’ll be surprised to see your pet rushing towards it.
- Just like other kinds of hays, oat hay is rich in fiber that contributes to the health of your rabbits. It promotes good digestion, more energy, and so much more.
- According to vets, OxBow Oat Hay contains high levels of protein, making them beneficial. You can also feed them to chinchillas and guinea pigs, among others.
- Rabbits are undeniably fond of eating hay and carrots. For this reason, Kaytee combines the chewiness of Timothy hay and the delicious taste of carrots in one product.
- Aside from carrots, this product is also available in other flavors. Mixing the unique texture of different hay with a variety of taste helps to enrich the band’s rabbit meals.
- If you are looking for a product that is suitable for rabbits above seven months, Kaytee Timothy Hay Carrot Flavour is for you.
- It is also loaded with high levels of fiber, which promotes healthy digestion.
- Rabbits also require protein and the high nutritional content of carrots, making the combination of carrots and Timothy hay ideal for your pet.
- All of these hays are hand-selected to make sure that the product gets an accurate ratio of stem and leaf.
- For those who find it challenging to choose what kind of hay suits their rabbits, this Sampler Box from Small Pet Select will help you out.
- It contains oat hay, orchard hay, as well as Timothy Hay in third and second cutting.
- Third cutting hay is those that are extremely soft, which is ideal for younger rabbits.
- The second cutting hay is a perfect combination for adult rabbits because it contains the correct ratio of fiber and protein, ideal for older rabbits.
- With this sampler box, your rabbit gets unlimited varieties of fresh hay.
- Other than using it to test which kind of hay fits your rabbit the most, it also helps to keep your rabbit excited every meal.
- Small Pet Select is among the favorite brands of rabbit owners today. They provide high-quality hays for rabbits that are also perfect for guinea pigs, chinchillas, and many more.
- Small Pet Select 2nd Cutting Timothy Hay is well-packed. It is stored in a corrugated box that you can easily open and close whenever you have to feed your rabbit.
- As a result, Timothy hay stays fresh for a long time. Second cutting Timothy hay also contains a lot of nutrients that can benefit your rabbits.
- And because this product is hand-selected, you can ensure the accurate ration of seed head and stem. Happy customers of this Small Pet Select product says that this hay is mostly green and soft.
- It means that your money will never go to waste, and your rabbit gets the best meal.
- Another product from Oxbow made it to the list of the best hay for rabbits. Oxbow Timothy Hay contains a high nutritional value, making it one of your best choices to keep your pet thriving and healthy.
- Western Timothy hay promotes better function of the digestive tract of rabbits because it encourages chewing. Aside from that, it contains a high level of fiber that also contributes to digestive health.
- Oxbow is highly recommended by vets for rabbits, chinchillas, as well as guinea pigs. If you have these small animals at home, Oxbow Timothy hay can be your top option.
- Unlike other brands, Timothy hay from Oxbow comes with a fresh and sweet smell. It is the reason why rabbits love this hay so much.
- The quality of the hay is not reduced during the processing and handling of the product. Thanks to its impressive packaging, you can expect to see your hay fresh and still green before feeding them to your pet.
- Aside from flavored hay, Kaytee also offers Wafer Cut Hay that arrives with the same quality as all the products under the brand.
- It features a wafer-cut shape that attracts the attention of rabbits, and it usually makes little to no mess and is easy to peel.
- Kaytee Wafer Cut Hay is a 100% natural product, just like the premium timothy hay. Unlike other products, Kaytee products don’t involve any artificial colors and flavors.
- Aside from that, you can guarantee the safety of your pet; you are also sure that your money is invested in a quality product.
- This wafer cut hay is grown in the United States under top-notch environmental conditions to ensure the quality and moisture control of the product.
- For those who are looking for varying sizes, this product is available in 60 and 16-ounce packs. Choose the one that fits your budget and suits your pet’s needs.
- If you want to give softer hay for your baby rabbits, Small Pet Select presents their 1st Cutting Timothy Hay. Unlike 2nd cutting Timothy hay, 1st cutting contains more fiber and is softer for rabbits to chew.
- It also arrives with more flower heads and leaves that contribute to its high nutritional value. Compared to other brands, this 1st Cutting Timothy Hay from Small Pet Select is sure to present the freshness and quality you need since it is made in the USA.
- The process and handling of this Timothy hay are improved to guarantee that fresh hay will be delivered right at your doorstep. For this reason, your rabbit will never be disappointed when they eat their meal.
- Would you like to make sure that your rabbit gets enough amount of hay in their daily diet? If you do, Small Pet Select 3rd cutting Timothy hay is ideal for you.
- This leafy and very soft Timothy hay is ideal if your rabbit requires a chewy meal that won’t tire their gums and jaws that much.
- It arrives with less stem and seed head, unlike 1st and 2nd cutting Timothy hay from the same brand.
- What makes this hay very soft is that it is harvested during late summer and early fall. For the same reason, it is rare to find fresh 3rd cutting Timothy Hay.
- Small Pet Select provides a money-back guarantee to ensure that you get the most out of your money.
- If you are not happy with the product you received, you can report it to the seller right away.
- For rabbit owners who are looking to purchase a premium quality Timothy grass hay, Vitakraft Timothy Hay is something you must opt for. This product is 100% grass hay that is grown in the US.
- Aside from being a 100% US-grown product, Vitakraft Timothy Hay is also 100% all-natural. It is grown without using any pesticides or harsh chemicals that can affect the health of your pet.
- Processing this hay does not also involve preservatives and artificial colors. As a result, Timothy hay stays natural, nutritious, and tangy for your rabbit.
- To ensure the safety of your pet, all Vitakraft hay products are cleaned thoroughly. This process helps to prevent contamination of bacteria and molds.
- This sweet grass hay also arrives in little bales, which is good for one meal. Packing in this manner helps to keep the freshness of the product and your rabbit satisfied.
- You can also choose between 56 and 28-ounce packs according to your pet’s needs.
- If you find it challenging to choose between the wide-ranging flavors of Kaytee’s Timothy Hay Plus, try this multipack.
- This pack includes all the Timothy Hay flavors such as marigold, spearmint, and carrot.
- Aside from helping you to provide variation in your rabbit’s meals, this multipack will also allow you to see which flavor is your pet’s favorite.
- All of these Timothy hay products are also hand-selected to ensure the highest nutritional value.
- Consistent and high-quality hay is essential to the development of a rabbit. Knowing this, take note of Kaytee Timothy hay’s fully-protected storing and packing process.
- Another reason why pet owners love Kaytee products is that they come with low calcium and protein. It prevents urinary problems for your rabbit and keeps their digestive and dental status healthy.
- If you own other small animals like chinchillas and guinea pigs, this multipack Timothy hay is your best option.
- This organic meadow hay is another great option to compliment your rabbit’s timothy hay.
- This product comes from a trusted brand and is 100% organic approved, so you can be confident that it does not contain any pesticides, artificial preservatives, or fertilizers.
- It is also high in fiber and delicious in taste.
- This meadow hay helps the digestive tract of your rabbit because it is one of the rabbits’ favorites.
- The advantages of this organic hay include its 100% certified organic meadow hay profile. It is also low in protein and rich in fiber, making it healthy for your rabbit.
- Since it promotes natural nutrition for your pet, this Oxbow product is naturally grown.
- When it comes to price, this hay is ideal for those pet owners who want to feed their pets with good food without breaking the bank.
To summarize, good-quality hay doesn’t need to cost you so much money. Looking at the brands and products I have reviewed above, I realized that you could also get the same freshness and value of hay in prices that won’t hurt your budget.
If you consider the buying guide I presented in the first part of this article, you will also recognize that small details like freshness, size, value, and price, among others, can lead to a wise buying decision.
Don’t make the same mistakes done by most rabbit owners before, if you follow this guide, you’ll end up getting the best hay for your pet.
Index Table: Top Rated Hay for Rabbits
|1||Standlee Hay Company Premium Timothy Grass - Healthy Hay for Rabbits||Standlee Hay Company||98.3|
|2||Small Pet Select Orchard Grass Hay - Rabbit Hay||Small Pet Select||98.2|
|3||HayRabbit Premium 2nd Cut Timothy Grass Hay - Hay for Rabbits||HayRabbit||97.7|
|4||HayRabbit Premium Orchard Grass - Rabbit Hay||HayRabbit||97.6|
|5||Oxbow 15 oz. Oat Hay - Rabbit Hay||Oxbow||97.4|
|6||Kaytee Timothy Hay Carrot Flavour - Healthy Hay for Rabbits||Kaytee||97|
|7||Small Pet Select Sampler Box - Hay for Rabbits||Small Pet Select||97.8|
|8||Small Pet Select 2nd Cutting Timothy Hay - Healthy Hay for Rabbits||Small Pet Select||96.6|
|9||Oxbow Timothy Hay - Rabbit Hay||Oxbow||97.6|
|10||Kaytee Wafer Cut Hay - Rabbit Hay||Kaytee||97|
|11||Small Pet Select 1st Cutting Timothy Hay - Rabbit Hay||Small Pet Select||97|
|12||Small Pet Select 3rd Cutting Timothy Hay - Hay for Rabbits||Small Pet Select||97.2|
|13||Vitakraft Timothy Hay - Hay for Rabbits||Vitakraft||96.8|
|14||Kaytee Timothy Hay Multi Pack - Rabbit Hay||Kaytee||96.7|
|15||Oxbow Bene Terra Organic Meadow Hay - Healthy Hay for Rabbits||Oxbow||97.5|
Table of Contents
- Things To Consider When Buying Hay For Rabbits
- Frequently Asked Questions About Rabbit Hay
- Reviews: The Best Hay For Rabbits
- Standlee Hay Company® Premium Timothy Grass Healthy Hay for Rabbits
- Small Pet Select® Orchard Grass Hay Rabbit Hay
- HayRabbit® Premium 2nd Cut Timothy Grass Hay Hay for Rabbits
- HayRabbit® Premium Orchard Grass Rabbit Hay
- Oxbow® 15 oz. Oat Hay Rabbit Hay
- Kaytee® Timothy Hay Carrot Flavour Healthy Hay for Rabbits
- Small Pet Select® Sampler Box Hay for Rabbits
- Small Pet Select® 2nd Cutting Timothy Hay Healthy Hay for Rabbits
- Oxbow® Timothy Hay Rabbit Hay
- Kaytee® Wafer Cut Hay Rabbit Hay
- Small Pet Select® 1st Cutting Timothy Hay Rabbit Hay
- Small Pet Select® 3rd Cutting Timothy Hay Hay for Rabbits
- Vitakraft® Timothy Hay Hay for Rabbits
- Kaytee® Timothy Hay Multi Pack Rabbit Hay
- Oxbow® Bene Terra Organic Meadow Hay Healthy Hay for Rabbits
- Index Table: Top Rated Hay for Rabbits