Spiky as they may be, hedgehogs are adorable, little creatures that will devour anything yummy on their path.
That is why you need to choose the right food for them, as we will discuss in this article;
Why Choose the Best Food for Hedgehogs
This hoggish critter has 44 tiny teeth that can nibble on crickets, slugs, snails, worms, millipedes, caterpillars, and everything else they see as dinner.
However, even though hedgies are not picky eaters, it does not mean that you should not consider choosing the best hedgehog foods to feed them. They still need a proper and balanced diet for them to be healthy and live a long, happy life.
But, what makes a good hedgehog food?
Type of Food for Hedgehogs
Hedgehogs are omnivores, which means they eat a variety, from insects to plant-based foods.
- Canned, Dried or Frozen Insects – Insects such as mealworms, silkworms, crickets, grasshoppers, and more are hedgehog staples. These are your hedgehog equivalent of fries and pizza. Besides adding variety to your hedgehog’s diet, insects provide a good amount of chitin; a polysaccharide derived from an insect’s exoskeleton. Hedgehogs, however, are prone to obesity. And most insects that make up a wild hedgehog’s diet should only be given as treats to domesticated hedgehogs to avoid such risks. You can buy canned or frozen insects from pet shops and ensure that these insects are farm-raised. NEVER feed insects to your pet that you have caught from your garden or even bought from a bait shop. Such insects may contain harmful pathogens as well as poisonous insecticides or pesticides.
- Veggies and Fruits – Hedgehogs love an occasional fruit or veggie treat. IT is also a great way to add a variety of nutrients to your pet’s diet. Just be careful not to overfeed your hedgehog with veggies and fruits. Some of the best fruits and veggies you can feed your pet include bananas, apples, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, kiwi, honeydew, cantaloupe, cranberries, papaya, mangoes, plum, arugula, pears, peaches, strawberries, watermelon, carrots, broccoli, peas, lettuce, spinach, green pepper, and turnip. However, keep in mind that some fruits like bananas and cherries contain lots of sugar and should be fed sparingly to prevent diabetes. Also, hedgehogs should not be fed raising or grapes since these fruits can be harmful to your hedgehogs.
- An Alternative: Cat Food – In general, commercially hedgehog foods were not always available. And most hedgehog foods available in the market were not as nutritious as most pet owners had hoped for. This is why most people opt for cat foods instead since they are easily available in any local pet store. Also, cat foods are available as small kibbles, which a hedgehog can eat and won’t have any problem chewing. What makes cat foods suitable for hedgehogs is the high protein content right for your hedgehogs and the fiber content, which replaces the chitin component found on insects.
- Nutritional Requirements – As I’ve mentioned before, hedgehogs are omnivores. Their primary diet consists of insect protein (chitin) and various vegetables, fruits, cooked meats, and more. Hedgehogs require a mixture of fat, protein, carbohydrates, water, fiber, and more. Proteins should consist of over 20 percent of their diet, fat should be about 5 – 15 percent, and a good amount of fiber from veggies and fruits. A variety of protein sources is great; however, poultry and insects are the easiest for them to digest. If you feed your hedgehogs canned cat food, you need to supplement it with more fiber and need hard foods to maintain their tiny teeth.
- Flavor – Although wild hedgehogs will eat anything without hesitation, some domestic hedgehogs can be picky eaters. This is especially true if you choose foods that offer a mixture of veggies and insects that encourage their foraging instincts. Some hedgies will go for the tastiest pieces and leave the rest. So, you might want to read the reviews from other owners first to know how their hedgehogs responded to the product.
- Packaging – You want your hedgehog always to have fresh food. Therefore, the packaging of the food needs to be considered. Re-sealable bags will keep the food fresh for longer and maintain a longer lifespan without causing it to catch any bacteria or pests. In terms of canned foods, especially moist foods, you can transfer the food in tight containers and make sure to use a separate spoon when feeding your pet to prevent it from being spoiled.
- Brand – When it comes to hedgehog foods, the brand is something that you also need to be considered. Cheaper foods made by unknown brands usually contain low-quality ingredients and replaced with fillers, which can cause malnutrition in your pets. Meanwhile, reputable brands have more to lose if their products have bad results; thus, they only create only premium, high-quality foods. So, it is always better to invest in foods that are made by established brands.
Review: The Top 15 Best Hedgehog Foods
Below are our top picks from a variety of foods for Hedgehogs;
- If you are looking for a great treat for your spiny friend, then the Wigglers & Berries Trail Mix Treat from reputable company Sunseed is your best bet. Being an Amazon’s Choice for “Hedgehog Supplies,” it offers a fun variety of delicious ingredients that your hedgehog will surely love.
- It features high-protein mealworms, nutritious celery, dried eggs, ground steamed-rolled oats, dried red bell peppers, puffed millet, ground corn, wheat middling, and sweet freeze-dried strawberries.
- Each pack of this food contains nutritious and high protein treats specifically formulated to meet your hedgehog’s nutritional needs. Also, the variety of food helps stimulates your hedgehog’s natural foraging instincts. It also comes in a resealable bag to ensure the freshness of the content for longer.
- Reputable company Exotic Nutrition offers a nutritious diet for hedgehogs— the Berries and Bugs. This food diet features 3 variety of gut loaded insect larvae in addition to sweet berries and grains, formulated specifically to meet the nutritional requirement of insectivore mammals like hedgehogs, sugar gliders, opossums, skunks, and more.
- The food can be fed alone or even mixed with other foods, fresh fruits and veggies, insects, and cooked meat to create a tasty, complete diet for your spiky friend. It is made of 100 percent natural ingredients without preservatives, artificial flavors, or synthetic colorings that can harm your pet.
- It also has a long shelf life that can last for up to 6 months when refrigerated and up to 12 months when frozen.
- It also comes in an easy, heavy-duty resealable bag to keep its content fresh. Proudly made in the USA, the Exotic Nutrition Berries & veterinarians highly recommend bugs Food to feed your pet.
- Ezliz offers this hard to resist tasty dried mealworms that your hedgehog will definitely go crazy for. Formulated for chickens, birds, hedgehogs, hamsters, reptiles, and other pets, this pack of dried mealworms is a great source of protein, vitamins, fiber, minerals, and other important nutrients your pet.
- These dried mealworms are 100 percent natural without GMOs, preservatives, and additives and have not been exposed to pesticides and insecticides. It is even FDA-approved, so it is totally safe and healthy for your pet.
- Easy to use and store, this dried mealworm food comes in a resealable bag to keep its freshness. Not only that, but Ezliz also ensures that their mealworms are of high quality and offer a 100 percent money-back guarantee for risk-free buying.
- Feed your hedgehog fresh and real meat with this natural adult cat dry food from Blue Buffalo. The food contains premium, high-quality protein from real chicken, which helps your pet maintain strong muscles. Also, this dry food contains wholesome garden fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
- The Blue Buffalo Dry Food is high in protein and enriched with fiber’s natural sources to help provide optimal digestive health and optimal nutrient absorption. Also, it features omega 6 and 3 fatty acids that help promote healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- The dry food is made of the finest and natural ingredients enhanced with essential minerals and vitamins. It does not contain poultry by-products, wheat, corn, soy, preservatives, or artificial flavors, making it safe to feed your pets. Lastly, this dry food is available in 3 sizes— 3 pounds, 7 pounds, and 15 pounds— so you can choose the right amount for your pet’s needs.
- Being an Amazon’s Choice, the Hedgehog Complete is another great nutritious food product from Exotic Nutrition.
- This is a pellet-based diet for your spiky hedgehogs that is specifically formulated to meet your pet’s needs.
- These fortified hedgehog pellets are mixed with dried mealworms and fresh grains that contain all necessary nutrition for reproduction, growth, and development for your growing hedgehogs.
- Made from 100 percent natural ingredients, this hedgehog food is free of artificial flavors, synthetic colorings, or preservatives, so it is totally healthy and safe for your pets.
- Well-researched and veterinarian recommended, this food product offers a long shelf life and can stay fresh for 6 months when refrigerated and up to 12 months when frozen.
- Also, it comes in a resealable bag to ensure freshness and is available in 3 sizes: 1-pound, 1.5-pound, and 3-pound bag.
- An Amazon’s Choice for “Freeze-Dried Mealworms,” this hedgehog food from Tasty Worms Nutrition Inc. is a tasty and nutritious treat for your spiny friend.
- The mealworms are freeze-dried to retain more nutrients, making it more beneficial and nutritionally dense than live mealworms.
- Also, the frozen worms do not emit foul odors, unlike other brands. It is ready to feed and does not require you to dehydrate the worms before feeding it to your pets.
- Made from natural and real mealworms, this food is high in protein, fibers, and fat essential for your hedgehog’s daily nutritional needs.
- This hedgehog food is also free of preservatives, artificial flavors, and chemicals such as pesticides and insecticides, so it is completely safe for your pets.
- It comes in a tight resealable bag to ensure its freshness for a long time.
- An established company, Suncoast Sugar Gliders, has been in the pet business for 2 decades now. They provide premium and high-quality food products for small pets, including sugar gliders, hamsters, and hedgehogs.
- Spike’s Delite Food is specially formulated for your spiny little friends.
- This hedgehog food is a totally cooked food supplement made from chicken, fish proteins, and whole soy to meet your hedgehog daily nutritional needs.
- This hedgehog food offers essential vitamins and minerals for your pet’s health.
- It also provides specific nutrition such as protein and fats for young hedgehogs and adult hedgehogs for reproduction.
- This 1.5 pounds hedgehog food is free of preservatives and artificial flavors, so it is totally safe and healthy for your spiky pets.
- The Ultra-Blend Select Hedgehog Food is Amazon’s Choice for “Hedgehog Diet.”
- It is a superior mixture of wholesome, nutrient-rich, and high-fiber ingredients that provide optimum nutrition for your hedgehog’s health.
- This x-shaped kibble offers a tantalizing taste that will keep your hedgehog’s wanting more.
- Fortified with essential minerals and vitamins, this 22 ounces bag of food is formulated to provide nourishment to hedgehogs of all ages.
- The kibbles come in small sizes to ensure that your pet can chew and digest it properly.
- Also, this kibble form prevents your hedgehog from picking up only his favorite pieces and having leftovers.
- Offering a pellet-based hedgehog food, the Vitakraft VitaSmart is fortified with essential nutrients and vitamins to provide optimum health for your spiny pets.
- This hedgehog food is formulated with a delicious blend of high-protein ingredients, including seafood, poultry, and insect meals.
- Since this hedgehog food comes in pellets, it prevents your pet from picky its favorite food and leaving leftovers behind.
- It also ensures that your hedgehog gets a balanced amount of nutrients.
- Tasty and appealing, this hedgehog food also contains natural oils and omega fatty acids from beneficial flaxseed to support a shiny skin and healthy coat.
- Proudly made in the USA, this product guarantees superior quality and comes in a resealable bag to maintain freshness.
- Spike’s Dinner is a flavorful meal to offer your spiky little friends.
- Suitable for all ages, this semi-moist hedgehog food is highly palatable on its own but can also be mixed and served with other hedgehog food such as veggies, fruits, and insects.
- It is a chicken-based food, so it is high in protein and packed with essential vitamins and minerals that meet your hedgehog’s daily nutritional needs.
- Each pack is 500 grams, and an average adult hedgehog can eat up to 20 grams of servings.
- This means that each bag can last you up to 25 days, depending on how frequently you feed your hedgehog.
- Also, the product comes in a tight resealable bag that helps ensure its freshness.
- And since it is a semi-moist food, it is recommended to be stored in your refrigerator to prevent it from getting spoiled.
- Reputable brand Kaytee offers a great-tasting insect meal for your hedgehogs as well as different kinds of birds and lizards.
- This product offers a high protein content that is essential for your pet’s growth and development.
- This mealworm diet can be fed alone as a treat or mixed with other food sources for added variety. It is also oven-dried to retain most of its nutrients and allows for a longer shelf lifespan.
- This product contains no artificial flavors, coloring, or preservatives, so it is totally safe and healthy for your pets.
- Also, it is packed in a resealable bag to help preserve its freshness.
- This hedgehog food from F.M. Brown’s is specially formulated to meet your spiky friend’s unique energy and protein needs.
- It features a blend of animal and plant food sources for your pet’s overall health and well-being.
- The food contains legumes, fruits, and veggies to increase palatability and variety to encourage your pet’s natural foraging behaviors.
- It also contains crunchy ingredients that help reduce tartar formation and promote good dental health.
- Not only that, but freeze-dried mealworms were also added, making this food blend highly nutritious and simply irresistible to your spiky pets.
- To aid in freshness, this hedgehog food comes in a resealable bag and includes natural tocopherols to extend its shelf life.
- For the ultimate insect meal, this hedgehog food product from Wormyworms offers a wide variety of insects that your pet surely craves.
- It has 5 different kinds of dried insects: locusts, crickets, silkworm pupae, super worms, and mealworms, adding diversity to your pet’s diet for overall health and well-being.
- Also, the variety of insects encourage your pet’s natural foraging behavior.
- This hedgehog food is fortified with omega 6 and 3 and essential vitamins and minerals for a healthy and happy hedgehog.
- It is available in tight resealable bags and contains more insects than dry food by volume. Wormyworms offer this hedgehog food in 3 sizes: 2.5 pounds, 5 pounds, and a sample size of 5 ounces, so you can try it out first and see if your hedgehog actually likes it.
- Specially formulated for cats, this wet food from Chicken Soup for the Soul features chicken meat as its main ingredient, necessary for a hedgehog’s diet.
- In addition to chicken meat, this wet food also contains cracked pearl barley, salmon, duck, turkey, flaxseed, oatmeal, potatoes, carrots, peas, and complete nutrition.
- Low in fat, this wet food is suitable if you want your spiky friend to lose weight and prevent it from getting obese.
- This food can be fed on its own or mix with other tasty hedgehog foods for added flavor and variety.
- Committed to manufacturing high-quality products, the manufacturer ensures that this wet food does not contain preservatives, artificial flavors, or synthetic colors that can harm your pet’s health and uses the best and freshest ingredients available.
- This dry food from Merrick makes a great meal for picky eaters. Plus, it comes with 2 different unique flavors— salmon and chicken— so you can find your pet’s preference.
- Also, this dry food is a great choice since it is grain-free. This only means that it is loaded with other wholesome ingredients.
- Chicken meat is the first and major ingredient of this pet food, approved by the FDA.
- It contains no artificial flavors and preservatives and only uses the highest quality ingredients to ensure your pet’s overall health and well-being.
- Also, the kibbles’ sizes are ideal for small pets and help prevent the risks of overeating and choking.
Hedgehogs are adorable little creatures. And despite their spiky side, more and more people choose to take home these cute critters as pets. Fortunately, they are easy to take care of and are not picky eaters, so it would not be a problem for picking the best foods to feed them.
If you are still confused and don’t know what to pick for your spiky pets, consider this list and choose one or more products from above. These hedgehog foods are guaranteed to have the right amount of nutrients to keep your adorable hedgehogs healthy and happy.
Table of Contents
- Why Choose the Best Food for Hedgehogs
- Type of Food for Hedgehogs
- Review: The Top 15 Best Hedgehog Foods
- Sunseed Vita® Prima Wigglers & Berries Trail Mix Treat Nutritious Hedgehog Food
- Exotic Nutrition® Berries and Bugs Food for Hedgehogs
- Ezliz® Dried Mealworms Hedgehog Food
- Blue Buffalo® Natural Adult Cat Dry Food Food for Hedgehogs
- Exotic Nutrition® Hedgehog Complete Food Food for Hedgehogs
- Tasty Worms Nutrition Inc.® Dried Mealworms Nutritious Hedgehog Food
- Suncoast® Sugar Gliders spike's Delite Premium Food Hedgehog Food
- Eight In One® Ultra-Blend Select Nutrient-Rich Hedgehog Diet Nutritious Hedgehog Food
- Vitakraft® VitaSmart Hedgehog Food Food for Hedgehogs
- Spike's World Ltd.® Spike's Dinner Food for Hedgehogs
- Kaytee® Mealworms Food for Hedgehogs
- M. Brown's® Hedgehog Food Hedgehog Food
- Wormyworms® Premium Hedgehog Insect Food Hedgehog Food
- Chicken Soup for the Soul® Cat Wet Food Food for Hedgehogs
- Merrick® Before Grain Chicken Meal Nutritious Hedgehog Food
- Index Table: