Proper grooming is essential to the health of horses. It is also a must to maintain their peak performance, especially for racing.
If you are looking for the best horse clippers, we got you covered. Keep on reading and we’ll help you make the right decision.
Why Do You Need a Good Clipper for Your Horses
You do not always need to pay someone to clip your horse’s hair. Since grooming will be a part of a routine, you need to invest in the best horse clippers.
Do not go through the hassle of using scissors for taming your horse’s hair. A clipper is an excellent alternative to make the job easier while keeping your horse well-groomed.
The Benefits of Using a Horse Clipper
Before we have a rundown of the best horse clippers you can find in the market, let’s first talk about its importance. Here are some compelling reasons to make clipping a part of your horse’s grooming routine:
- Improved Appearance – Similar to the benefits of using a clipper in dogs, and even in humans, it can make the horse’s hair fuller and thicker. This is an effective way to improve the overall appearance of your horse.
- Enhanced Skin Condition – Having thick hair can be bad for horses. Their hair can be a breeding ground for bacteria and can result in equine diseases. By having shorter hair, it will be easier to keep your horse healthy.
- Avoid Stress – When your horse is training, having thick and long hair can add unnecessary stress. This will make your horse tired quicker. This is one problem that you can prevent by clipping regularly.
- Shortened Drying Time – Horses sweat after they train or exercise. This will make them wet. Especially during winter, it will take a while before they dry up. It will result in chilling temperatures and can affect their health, which is why clipping is a must.
How to Choose the Best Horse Clippers
With tons of brands and models available in the market, making the right choice is not easy. To help you narrow down your choices, below are some of the most important considerations.
Cordless or Corded
This is one of the first questions that you should answer. Corded clippers are known for being more powerful. However, the biggest limitation is that you need to plug it in an electrical source, which can be an inconvenience for some.
Cordless hair clippers are battery-powered. They are not as powerful as their corded counterparts. The best thing about this clipper is that it is portable since it has no wire.
Types of Horse Clippers
It is also crucial that you learn about the types of horse clippers and how they work. This will help you make a well-informed choice.
- Trace Clip – For horses doing light and moderate work, this is the best option. It is used for clipping only the areas where sweat accumulates.
- Hunter Clip – It is used for field hunter horses. With this clipper, trimming is done on all parts except the legs and saddle.
- Blanket Clip – If your goal is to prevent horses from having a sore back and keep the muscles warm, this is the best option.
The power of the horse clipper is determined by its motor. The thicker is the hair of the horse, the more powerful is the clipper that you will need.
Aside from having a powerful motor, one more important thing is that it should not overheat. Otherwise, the internal components are prone to damage and will negatively impact durability.
Even when trimming human hair, excessive noise can be annoying. You will find it hard to concentrate on what you are doing when there is a loud noise.
Choose a clipper that is as quiet as possible. Sealed components are great because they can help minimize noise.
The blades are amongst the most important parts of the clipper. It will directly impact the overall performance of the clipper.
A good choice for horse clipper is one that comes with razor-sharp and long-lasting blades. It is also a good thing if the blades are detachable and customizable, making it versatile.
Pay attention to a couple of factors that will dictate how comfortable it will be to use the horse clipper. For instance, one of the most important is an ergonomic handle, which will make it easy to grip.
The clipper should also not produce too much heat and vibration. Otherwise, it will be uncomfortable to hold, especially when you are clipping for a long time.
Some FAQs on Horse Clippers
Got questions about horse clippers? Below, we’ll try to answer some of them.
Can you use dog clippers on horses?
Yes, you can use dog clippers on horses. However, this is one thing that you should not do as it will take a lot of time and effort. The hair of horses is thicker, and hence, it will take a longer time to trim or cut if you are using a dog clipper.
Why are my horse clippers not cutting?
If your horse clipper is not cutting, the most common problem is that the blades are chewing the coat. The blades may also be tensioned too lightly, which will affect the performance of the motor.
What happens if you don’t oil your clippers?
If you don’t oil your clippers, it will not cut effectively. Especially if your horse has thick and poorly-maintained hair, the clipper can have a hard time cutting.
Reviews: Our Top Picks for the Best Horse Clippers
Clueless about the horse clipper to buy? Below are some of the top products that should be on your radar.
The brand name itself is already a compelling reason to choose this product over others. The reputation of the manufacturer can make you confident about its quality.
- Among others, one thing that we love the most about this product is its cordless construction.
- It is convenient and comfortable to use.
- The clipper comes with a powerful battery, which has an average charging time of 75 minutes, when the battery is full, it will have a runtime of up to 80 minutes.
- We also like how versatile it is. It delivers five functions in one product.
- You can choose from five blade sizes depending on what you need for your horse.
- Value for money is another good thing that you can expect in this clipper.
- Aside from the main unit and five blades, you will also receive plastic attachment guide combs, blade oil, cleaning brush, charging stand, and charger.
- Lastly, it has a slim and lightweight design, which means that it will be comfortable to use.
- The clipper comes with an ergonomic handle.
This is from the same manufacturer as the product mentioned above, so you can be confident that the quality is top-notch.
- One of the best features of this equine clipper is the adjustable taper.
- You can choose from 30, 15, and 10 depending on the size of the blade that you will need for your horse.
- The powerful motor is another plus for this product.
- It can produce up to 7,200 strokes per minute, which will make clipping effortless.
- While this is powerful, however, take note that this is only for light to medium-duty clipping.
- If your horse has thick hair, this will not be enough.
- As a bonus, the set will also be inclusive of a grooming tool, which comes with a soft brush.
- This will come handy when removing sweat and dirt on the hair of the horse.
Grooming horses does not need to be a complicated task. Even if you are a beginner you will not have a hard time using this clipper.
- The clipper comes with a 14-feet heavy-duty cord.
- This means that you do not need to be near the plug while you are using the clipper. This way, you will not have a hard time moving around.
- The durability of this horse clipper has also been commended by many of its users.
- This is one thing that we can attribute to its shatter-proof housing.
- This is also what protects the motor and other internal components.
- It is also worth noting that it comes with a detachable blade design.
- This will allow you to choose a suitable blade depending on the hair of the horse. You can also choose from two built-in speeds.
- If you have no idea of how to use this clipper, no need to worry!
- There is an instructional video that will let you know how to use this clipper like a pro.
With the professional-grade construction of this option for the best animal clipper, you can expect that the performance will be impressive.
- It comes with six variable speeds, so you will have options depending on what a specific job requires.
- For sensitive areas, use settings one to three, which is for low speed. For high-speed clipping, choose settings four to six.
- One of the secrets to the powerful performance of this clipper is the 380-watt motor.
- It also has a speed of 2,400 rpm, making sure that no clipping task will be too difficult to accomplish.
- Like the other parts, the blades are equally notable when it comes to durability.
- It is made of high-grade steel, which makes it long-lasting. It also protects the skin of your horse from being cut.
- Lastly, it comes with an easy to hold handle. Plus, because of the thick housing, it also effectively reduces vibrations to keep you as comfortable as possible.
Regardless of the coat type, this is another notable option for the best horse trimmers.
- With its torque and power, it will be effortless to tackle almost any job.
- The universal rotary motor of this unit will deliver incredible power.
- It can provide up to 2,100 strokes per minute, which will make clipping as effortless as possible.
- The A5 detachable blade system is another incredible feature of this product.
- It is compatible with different blades. You can also use it with universal guide combs, although, you have to purchase the latter separately.
- Another thing that makes the blade impressive is cryogenic technology.
- It has been through a special treatment process for hardened construction, which ensures the durability of the blades. You can also be confident that it stays sharp for a long time.
This is from the same manufacturer as the product mentioned above. One of the main differences is that the product above has a single speed.
- Meanwhile, this product comes with two speeds.
- With the use of this clipper, you can choose from 3,000 strokes per minute or 4,000 strokes per minute depending on what is required in a specific task.
- Regardless of what you choose, you can expect that it will deliver a powerful performance.
- The unit comes with a detachable A5 blade system, making it compatible with different blades from Oster.
- Durability is another reason to pick this product over its competitors.
- The manufacturer takes pride in its impact-resistant construction.
- Lastly, we also love how it comes with a ribbed body.
- This provides a textured grip, which will make it easy to hold the clipper. Plus, it minimizes vibration, so you don’t have to worry about your comfort.
Like the two products that we have mentioned in this buying guide, this is also from Wahl.
- Hence, you can expect that its quality will be hard to match.
- While this is an impressive choice for the best horse body clippers, take note that it is only for light applications. Use it only on the portions with thin hair.
- For your convenience, this clipper comes with a cordless design.
- There will be no tangling wires and you can use it even without a plug.
- Despite being cordless, it provides decent power in light applications.
- When the battery is fully charged, it can work up to two hours at full speed.
- The adjustable cut length is another good thing about this product.
- It has a standard adjustable blade that will allow you to customize the cutting length. The blade is also great because it is made using high-grade steel.
- Lastly, there is a bonus DVD included when you purchase this clipper.
- It will provide detailed instructions to make the most out of this product
Another exceptional product from Wahl, this clipper has a sleek design.
- It is compact and lightweight, yet it is powerful, making it a great option for the best horse clippers 2020.
- The lithium-ion battery is one of the highlights of this clipper.
- It takes approximately 60 minutes to charge the battery. When it is full, you can expect an average runtime of 90 minutes.
- If there is no battery, there is an option to use the clipper corded.
- This can be convenient since you have the option to transition from electricity to battery or the other way around.
- The ergonomic design of this unit will make it comfortable to use.
- Horse clipping will be almost effortless for you. It has an excellent grip and will generate minimal vibrations, which can reduce fatigue.
- It also comes with constant speed control. This is an innovative feature making sure that the speed is always optimized.
- It automatically switches to a higher speed when you are working on the tough parts of the horse.
- For versatility, this clipper comes with a 5-in-1 blade.
- It is adjustable so you will have a blade depending on the intended cutting length.
As you most probably know by now, Wahl is one of the top brands in the market for horse clippers.
- The Animal Motion Clipper is another model that should be on your list.
- If convenience is your priority, then you have a compelling reason to pick this clipper over many others.
- It has a cordless design, which means that you can easily use it anywhere.
- The LED battery indicator is another thing that we love in this product.
- This will let you easily know how much battery is remaining so that you can recharge the unit when needed.
- You can also expect this to be impressive when it comes to power.
- It can produce up to 5,500 strokes per minute, so it can get the job done in a flash.
- Like many other clippers from Wahl, this model also comes with a 5-in-1 blade system.
- This is great in terms of versatility, making it effortless to adjust the cutting length as needed.
- Lastly, this clipper comes with a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Plus, you have 30 days to try the product risk-free.
- If you are unsatisfied, let the manufacturer know and they will do what it takes to make you happy!
It is obvious by now that Wahl is our favorite brand for horse clippers.
- In this guide, we have six clippers from Wahl, which speaks a lot about the company’s reputation.
- With the use of this lightweight and cordless clipper, grooming your horse does not need to be a complicated task. You will not easily complain of discomfort.
- One thing that we love in this product is the lithium battery, which is the one responsible for providing reliable cordless performance.
- With a full battery, the clipper will run continuously for 90 minutes.
- The 5-in-1 blade set included in this product is also notable.
- It has impressive sharpness and durability, making it functional for a long time. It is made using high-grade steel to make it long-lasting.
The blade that comes with this clipper is one of its best assets.
- The fine blade has a clipping width of three inches. The cutting length, on the other hand, is 1.4 mm.
- Aside from the blade, the motor is another reason why it can cut in no time.
- The powerful motor can handle even the most demanding jobs.
- Another thing that we love in the motor is how it comes with overload protection.
- It protects the internal components from heat, which will also make it long-lasting.
- The ventilated head is also notable.
- This will protect the motor from overheating.
- This is also directly related to your comfort since it means that the unit will not get hot even as you use it for a long time.
- The removable and replaceable air filters are also great.
- They will help in effortless care and maintenance of the unit, guaranteeing exceptional performance even after years of use.
- It also comes with a convenient carrying case.
- This way, you will find it easy to organize the clipper and protect it from dirt.
This is from one brand that most of you will not recognize. Nonetheless, this is worth a try, especially because it is more affordable compared to most of our recommendations for the best horse grooming clippers.
- The best thing about this product is its motor, which provides the power that the unit needs.
- It delivers up to 2,400 strokes per minute, which is possible because of its 320-watt motor.
- Your comfort is a sure thing when you are using this clipper.
- One of its highlights is the low-vibration design. Even when clipping for a long time, you won’t easily feel tired.
- As a bonus, this clipper comes with a hard-shell case.
- This will make it easy to organize everything and protect it from dust and dirt.
- For your peace of mind, it is also good to know that the manufacturer is offering a lifetime service guarantee.
- The manufacturer is always ready to extend a helping hand when you experience problems with this clipper.
The best horse clippers are must-have tools when it comes to horse grooming. With the right clipper, it will be effortless to maintain your horse’s hair, keeping it healthy and good-looking.
If you need help buying a horse clipper, make sure to consider our recommendations above. They are well-received even by other people, so you can be convinced that they will be exceptional.
Index Table: Best Clippers for Gromming Your Horse
|1||Wahl Professional - Arco Horse Cordless Clipper||Wahl||98.4|
|2||Wahl Professional Animal Show - Pro Plus Equine Horse Clipper||Wahl||98|
|3||Andis ProClip 2-Speed - Detachable Blade Clipper||Andis||97|
|4||TAKEKIT Professional - Horse Clipper||TAKEKIT||96.5|
|5||Clipmaster Oster Golden A5 - Grooming Clipping Machine||Clipmaster||96.4|
|6||Clipmaster Oster Turbo A5 - Grooming Clipping Machine||Clipmaster||96.5|
|7||Wahl Professional - Animal Pro Ion Equine Cordless Clipper||Wahl||96|
|8||Wahl Professional - Animal Bravura Clipper||Wahl||97.3|
|9||Wahl Professional - Animal Motion Clipper||Wahl||97|
|10||Wahl Professional - Chromado Horse Clipper||Wahl||97|
|11||Lister Star Horse Clipper - Clipper||Lister||96.5|
|12||MissYee Portable - Electric Clipper||MissYee||97|
Table of Contents
- Why Do You Need a Good Clipper for Your Horses
- The Benefits of Using a Horse Clipper
- How to Choose the Best Horse Clippers
- Some FAQs on Horse Clippers
- Reviews: Our Top Picks for the Best Horse Clippers
- Wahl® Professional Arco Horse Cordless Clipper
- Wahl® Professional Animal Show Pro Plus Equine Horse Clipper
- Andis® ProClip 2-Speed Detachable Blade Clipper
- TAKEKIT® Professional Horse Clipper
- Clipmaster® Oster Golden A5 Grooming Clipping Machine
- Clipmaster® Oster Turbo A5 Grooming Clipping Machine
- Wahl® Professional Animal Pro Ion Equine Cordless Clipper
- Wahl® Professional Animal Bravura Clipper
- Wahl® Professional Animal Motion Clipper
- Wahl® Professional Chromado Horse Clipper
- Lister® Star Horse Clipper Clipper
- MissYee® Portable Electric Clipper
- Index Table: Best Clippers for Gromming Your Horse