One of the most common and upsetting things to happen to your horse is becoming lame and stiff.
It is not only upsetting since he is in pain and cant’ be ridden but also because veterinary checkups can quickly mount up.
The truth is, horse’s joints are worked really hard over their lifetime, especially if your horse takes part in any competitive activity.
To ensure good joint health, the best horse joint supplements are needed regularly.
Important Factors To Consider
The best researched and most common active ingredients in joint supplements are the big four:
- GLUCOSAMINE – Glucosamine’s a sugar molecule that naturally occurs in the cartilages of your joint and other connective tissues. Glucosamine helps in slowing down the natural breakdown of cartilage and stimulates healing. It also helps reduce pain, and usually, results can be seen in just 10 – 14 days. Not only that, but glucosamine is also useful for joint conditions like arthritis as well as ailments such as laminitis. The Glucosamine dose needs to be between 6,000mg and 10,000mg every day for the best result.
- MSM – Short for methylsulfonylmethane, MSM is a sulfur compound, which is also called dimethyl sulfone or methyl sulfone. This compound offers good anti-inflammatory properties and can treat several horses and humans’ conditions. However, up to this date, there has been only a little research conducted on MSM, so it is still unclear how exactly it works or its effectiveness level. In general, MSM general works most effectively when given at about 20,000mg every day.
- CHONDROITIN SULPHATE – This is typically combined with Glucosamine since the two works best together. Connective tissues, cartilage, and bone utilize chondroitin as part of their structure, making this ingredient very beneficial in preventing joint problems. Also, it has been shown to offer pain-relieving qualities. Several research on chondroitin has shown rather inconclusive, with the only constant result is that it appears to help prevent cartilage breakdown. Chondroitin is quite effective when given at a dose of between 1,250mg and 5,000mg every day.
- HYALURONIC ACID – Originally used as an injectable drug, hyaluronic acid is found naturally occurring in joint fluids and cartilage. Nowadays, it is usually found in orals supplements, and its main function is to reduce swelling, heat, and pain. When combined with Chondroitin and Glucosamine, Hyaluronic Acid only needs a small dose of 20mg – 50mg every day, but the amount can go up to 100mg every day for better results.
In addition to the big four, a good horse joint supplement also features other active ingredients, including:
- HYDROLYZED COLLAGEN – This is a protein that forms the framework of connective tissues called collagen. Hydrolyzed collagen, however, has been treated so that it is easy to absorb and digest. Only little scientific data is currently available on its effectiveness in horses; however, from the human studies perspective, it is believed that a really high daily dose would be needed to provide possible benefits for horses. The dose can be as much as 40,000mg every day.
- UNSAPONIFIABLES (ASU) – This ingredient is derived from soy and avocado, which has been shown to offer a protective effect and help in preventing cartilage breakdown. However, they do not appear to have any pain-reducing properties.
- CMO – Short for Cetyl Myristoleate, these are acetylated fatty acids that can relieve inflammation and pain. However, there are no equine studies to support the claims yet.
Joint supplements for horses are offered in various forms. These include:
- LIQUIDS –
- This is usually the most preferred type of supplement formulation since every bit of the active ingredients can be easily absorbed by your horse’s intestinal tract. Some manufacturers recommend that you mix it with their daily food, while some can be given as a whole.
- PELLETED – This is probably the most common form of joint horse supplements. Pelleted supplements can be added to your horse’s daily feeds or given as a whole.
- POWDERS – An excellent choice for horses that are quite fussy about liquids and pellets, powders can be easily mixed with your horse’s food or dissolved in their drink. Either way, you will need to check the package directions.
- WAFERS AND TREATS – Some manufacturers of joint supplements design their products like treats, making them more palatable for horses. These are mainly given after a good training session, and you will no longer have to shove the supplement down your horse’s throat.
Some manufacturers create supplements with flavorings like an apple or any palatable ingredients for picky eaters. When choosing one with flavors, make sure that the flavor is not made with synthetic or artificial flavorings.
Reviews: Best Horse Joint Supplements
Below are some of the best available Horse Supplements for Joint Health and improvement;
- Effective against arthritis pain and suitable for maintenance and long-term use, the Cosequin ASU is a multi-synergistic supplement formula that goes beyond the traditional chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine products on the market today.
- It features ASU, which is made of soybeans and avocado, helping protect the cartilage from damage and increase joint mobility.
- Meanwhile, chondroitin and glucosamine help in producing cartilage matrix components. Highly recommended by veterinarians, this broad spectrum joint supplement comes in a tasty and easy-to-use powder you can mix with your horse’s drink or food.
- The ArthriSoothe-GOLD features Chondroitin, Glucosamine, Vitamin E, and Yucca to promote and maintain overall joint health in your horses.
- It reduces pains and aches associated with daily activity, promotes healing of damaged tissue, and improves joint mobility.
- Easy to administer, this liquid formula offers great flavors for your horses and can be top-dressed on feeds and hay.
- Veterinarian-formulated, this supplement is proudly made in the USA and is backed with a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee.
- This pet and equine joint supplement from Lubrisyn can help maintain a good hyaluronic acid level daily.
- It contains all-natural and powerful active ingredients that can help them have the freedom of movement they deserve.
- The supplement has no taste and can be easily administered straight to your horse’s mouth or mixed with their food.
- It features bio-identical hyaluronic acid that is fast-acting and highly effective in relieving pain and stiffness.
- The addition of MSM helps ease uncomfortable and painful osteoarthritis symptoms thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent.
- A Good Choice for horse joint supplement, the Equithrive Original Joint Powder features special flavor formulation for horses that are particularly fussy about flavors.
- Featuring a natural molasses flavor, this supplement is palatable with a sugar content that does not exceed the recommended sugar content.
- This powder is clinically proven to provide joint support during competition, training, and aging. The formula contains proprietary resveratrol ingredients— HA and Resverasyn, micro-encapsulated bioavailable resveratrol for maximum therapeutic effect.
- It also supports a healthy inflammatory response in joint tissues and protects the joints from the damaging effects of free radicals.
- Another excellent supplement for joint stiffness and pain in horses at all life stages, the AniMed Pure MSMS supplement, helps minimize inflammation and arthritis pain.
- Featuring pure MSM, these natural antioxidants help remove damaging free radicals and contain no fillers.
- It is a bioavailable source that supports your horse’s connective tissues.
- This powder supplement can be added to your horse’s feed or drinking water. Value-priced for long term use, this 2.25 pound can provide up to 80 days of supply for joint health.
- These granules are exclusively designed and specially formulated to maintain and prolong good joint health and horses’ function.
- It can also help alleviate soreness and aches caused by heavy exercise, competition, and training.
- This joint supplement features the industry’s only 100 percent plant-derived CMO source or cetyl myristoleate and other combinations of excellent joint health ingredients.
- This product’s 2-scoop dose contains 1,000mg of Ascorbic Acid, 3,000mg of MSM, 3,000 of Glucosamine – HCL, and 5,500mg of Cetyl Myristoleate.
- It is manufactured in granular form to ensure maximum potency and easy feeding. Also, it is formulated with apple and molasses flavoring for picky eaters.
- Another great supplement from Nutramax, the Cosequin Optimized, is an excellent joint pain solution and ease arthritis discomfort.
- Mainly suitable for senior horses, this supplement helps increase the flexibility and reduce stiffness in older horses.
- It features a tasty apple flavor, and the body can easily absorb the powder form. It contains a higher level of active ingredients than the original Cosequin with high-quality MSM for managing good joint health.
- Majesty’s Animal Nutrition has been popular for creating unique treats and wafer supplements for your horses. The Flex Wafers contains 5 superior joint support ingredients— 2,500mg MSM, 2,500mg Glucosamine, 1,250mg Yucca, 600mg Chondroitin Sulfate, and 500mg Vitamin C— that helps in increasing range of motion and reducing inflammation, pain, and tension.
- And if your horse tends to ignore top-dressed feed with liquids and powders, these unique wafers serve as a treat that directly delivers the optimal amount of nutrients.
- Made of apple sauce, oats, and molasses, this wafer supplement is highly palatable that no horse can’t ignore.
- It is available in 4 packaging sizes, based on your monthly need supply— 2-month, 4-month, 6-month, and 12-month.
- Specifically formulated for senor horses, the Legacy pellets offer an unmatched value that supports good soft tissue, connective tissue, and joint health in horses that are up to 15 years or more.
- The supplement features pellet forms that can be taken alone or mixed with feeds. It is enriched with Glucosamine, Chondroitin sulfate, Ester-C, Yucca, MSM, and Vitamin E.
- The pellets are also formulated with rice bran and dry yeast to add a palatable taste and promote smooth digestion.
- This supplement from Nutramax Laboratories is specially formulated for horses that require extra help with arthritis stiffness and joint lubrication.
- The Cosequin ASU Plus helps promote goo joint health with ingredients such as Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin Sulfate, ASU, and HA and Green Tea Extract antioxidant that helps protect the body from the damaging effects of free radicals.
- Created for all horses of all life stages, especially senior horses, this supplement comes in a tasty and easy to deliver powder that can be added to your horse’s feed or drinking water.
- The Missing Link offers their original equine superfood supplement with the unique blend of glucosamine for extra support on joint health.
- The formulas were specially designed for adult horses to provide the necessary nutrients, usually missing from grain or hay feeds, and maintain good joint health.
- It has a unique synergistic blend of key ingredients such as omega 6 and 3 fatty acids, plant nutrients, dietary fibers, and naturally-occurring antioxidants from whole food.
- Also, it uses a patented cold-pressing method, ensuring the freshest delivery of precious Omega fatty acids.
- This liquid supplement from Cox Veterinary is specially formulated to support a good joint function by using key substances that work together and support your horse’s natural ability to produce a joint lubricating synovial fluid.
- Its most beneficial ingredients include HA, Perna Canaliculus, MSM, Chondroitin, Glucosamine, and Ester C, an essential antioxidant that is key to optimizing the bioavailability of the other ingredients.
- What’s more, it also contains the Boswellia serrate, an all-natural herb acting as an anti-inflammatory.
- And even if you have a picky horse, this liquid supplement will be taken from the last drop with its highly palatable Piña Colada flavoring.
Horse be nimble.
So, help your horse avoid discomfort and pain with a bit of prevention. The best horse joint supplements from the above list can contain the needed resources to maintain peak stamina, strength, and physical fitness. They are vitally important to help preserve your horse’s joint and connective tissue while maintaining healthy and strong bones.
Index Table: Top rated Horse Joint Supplements
Table of Contents
- Important Factors To Consider
- Reviews: Best Horse Joint Supplements
- Nutramax® Cosequin ASU Joint Powder Horse’s Joint Supplement
- NaturVet® ArthriSoothe-GOLD Horse Joint Supplement
- Lubrisyn® HA+ Joint Supplement Supplement for Horse Joints
- Equithrive® Original Joint Horse Joint Supplement
- AniMed® Pure MSM Supplement Supplement for Horse Joints
- Cetyl M® Equine Joint Supplement Granules Supplement for Horse Joints
- Nutramax® Laboratories Cosequin optimized with MSM Supplement Horse Joint Supplement
- Majesty’s® Flex Wafers Horse’s Joint Supplement
- RICHDEL® Joint Support Legacy Pellets Supplement for Horse Joints
- Nutramax® Laboratories Cosequin ASU Plus Supplement Supplement for Horse Joints
- The Missing Link® Ultimate Equine Supplement for Horse Joints
- Cox Veterinary Lab® Acti-Flex Horse’s Joint Supplement
- Index Table: Top rated Horse Joint Supplements