Rabbits are cute and make a lovely pet for you. But for their overall health and proper grooming, you must fulfill their nutritional requirements.
You can do this by feeding your rabbits on the best food. Rabbits are usually plant-eating animals.
That’s why most of the food products available on the market contain young leaves from grasses, plants, shrubs, and barks of trees.
In this guide, we have rounded up a list of 15 best rabbit foods you can consider when purchasing food products for your pets.
What to Consider When Buying Best Rabbit Food
Choose a food product that keeps up with your rabbit’s food preference and help them grow healthily. You must consider the following factors when choosing the best rabbit food:
- Age – For younger bunnies, choose food containing all nutrients for growth. The best food at this age is the one that is rich in protein, alfalfa pellets, calcium, and minerals. Choose the food containing 15% crude protein and 14% crude fiber for your growing rabbit.
- Rabbit’s Condition – Protein-rich food is good for a pregnant or lactating rabbit. They can tolerate more carbohydrates as compared to growing rabbits. So choose food that contains nutrients and supports the skeletal development of the fetus and promote milk production.
- Weight – For obese rabbits, never buy straws in place of fore grass hays. For underweight pets, choose the food rich in high calories and avoid green leafy veggies that are low in calories.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How much food should a rabbit eat?
– Baby Rabbits: Baby rabbits feed solely on mother’s milk for about three weeks. After that, rabbits nibble on pellets and alfalfa hay. By seven weeks, they can handle unlimited pellets and alfalfa hay in addition to having a mother’s milk.
– Juveniles: Between weaning and seven months, young rabbits can feed on unlimited pellets and alfalfa hay. At three months, you can start feeding them on small amounts of veggies. Make sure you feed them only one vegetable at a time. Avoid veggies that seem to create digestive problems among them.
– Young Adults: Start introducing rabbits from age seven months to 1 year to timothy, grass hays, and oat hay all day long. The fiber in the hay helps with their digestive systems. At this age, they need little alfalfa hay and fewer pellets. Increase their intake of hay and vegetables to maintain nutritional value in their bodies.
– Mature Adults: Mature adult rabbits should eat unlimited grass hay, timothy, and oat hay. Reduce the pellet amount in their diet. Ideally, give them 1/4 cup of pellets per 6 lbs. of their body weight every day. Several servings of vegetables are required important.
– Seniors: Senior rabbits more than six years can consume the same diet as mature adults if they have no weight loss problems. You may have to increase pellet and Alfalfa intake if they have weight issues, but only if they have normal calcium levels.
Can rabbits eat apples?
Being a pet owner, it is your responsibility to ensure that your bunny has a nutritionally rich diet. Rabbits need a lot of hay, some vegetable and fruit matter, and pelleted feed. Bunnies can east apple in modern, but make sure they don’t eat apple seeds. Apple sticks also make great chewing food for rabbits.
What vegetables can rabbits eat?
All rabbit foods available on the market contain a lot of vegetable extracts in various forms. Some of the most common veggies you will find in these products are dark green cabbage, celeriac, curly kale, cauliflower, carrot tops, roots, radish, parsnip, peppers, marrow, mint, dill, fennel, pumpkin, salad greens, lettuce, etc.
How do I bond with my rabbit?
Many food products available on the market contain colorful pellets that bunnies love to eat and have fun with. Feeding your little bunnies with these flavorful and colorful food products can help you bond with your rabbit. It is important to note that you should choose such food items while ensuring they are free from harmful chemicals and contain no additives or preservatives.
What do bunnies like to eat most?
Rabbits don’t naturally eat root fruits and vegetables. Fruits and carrots are high in sugar. You should feed these to rabbits in small quantities only as occasional treats. Rabbits mainly eat hay and grass, leafy greens, and a measured amount of pellets.
What leafy greens can rabbits consume?
Leafy vegetables that are good for your rabbit are bok choy, cilantro, kohlrabi, carrot tops, mustard greens, basil, broccoli greens, watercress, and romaine lettuce.
What food is toxic to rabbits?
Some of the food items that are toxic to rabbits are bread, biscuits, chocolate, chips, lollies, avocado, rice, and potatoes.
Reviews: Best Foods for Rabbits
Here are some of the top favorite foods that you can feed your rabbits;
- Ecotrition rabbit food packs all the essential ingredients required for a rabbit.
- This eCOTRITION essential blend food for adult rabbits contains high contents of Timothy hay that fulfills all energy needs of your rabbit. It contains a scientifically formulated fortified mix of healthy ingredients that help your adult rabbit flourish.
- The pack is a mix of rabbit’s favorite fruits, vegetables, grains and Hay.
- Fortified with vital vitamins, eCOTRITION encourages the growth and maintenance of the overall health of the rabbit.
- The variety of bright and colorful pellets provides daily stimulation that your pet rabbit requires.
- Rabbits can easily chew tiny pellets. Some of the other essential ingredients of this food product are wheat middlings, celery flakes, soybean hulls, ground corn, dehydrated zucchini, and many other vital vitamins.
- This 5-pound pack is available in several flavors. The bag can be resealed to protect the nutritional value of its content.
- Kaytee Timothy biscuits are baked with apple. It serves as a nutritious treat for rabbits, providing them with dental conditioning and satisfies their natural desire to chew.
- Timothy grass hay provides the high natural fiber to your pet.
- This food product provides significant enrichment and foraging for rabbits and other small animals, including hamsters, chinchilla, and more.
- This food product is great for playtime and bonding with your small pet.
- These biscuits are compressed for supporting the chewing activity for the rabbit’s dental health. You can offer this food by hand or add it to a bowl for feeding.
- Kaytee packaged treats are available in varieties of everything, from vegetables and fruits to seeds and nuts. Make sure your pet should not be overfed with these biscuits.
- You can blend it with other rabbit foods. Just make sure it constitutes only 20% of the total food intake. It is because treats can contain high sugar or fat content that, in high quantity, can be unhealthy for your pet.
- This is one of the most recommended rabbit foods that provide your pet with digestive protein enzymes.
- The high-quality papaya content helps protein digestion with ease.
- Moreover, Sherwood rabbit food has been carefully formulated to provide B vitamins that are produced by healthy fermentation patterns.
- The unique herbs contained in this rabbit food helps stimulate the lower digestive tract and optimizes healthy fermentation patterns. For rabbits who are restricted for movement because of disease or age factors, or those lacking lower gastrointestinal tract, this rabbit food is all you need.
- The herbs directly trigger rhythmic muscle relaxation in the lower rabbit digestive tract.
- It is important to note that intense flavors of the mobility herbs such as ginger, Szechuan peppercorn, ginseng, your pet may resist showing interest at first.
- In this case, you can break the tablet into small pieces and hide them in banana pieces or other rabbit food products.
- The Simona Micah contains a natural apple chew stick. It makes excellent food for your pet rabbits that are easy to digest and healthy while avoiding diseases that long teeth may cause.
- This excellent food product for rabbits helps them to develop molar and ease their nervous and negative emotions.
- Simona apple stick is carefully sifted, pruned, soaked, dried, and sorted out before packaging them for the consumption of your small pet.
- The edible applewood sticks are 100% natural apple branches.
- You can store these organic apple sticks for long periods of time while avoiding any mildew that yields optimum satisfaction.
- This product is made using pollution-free and clean branches that help develop the molar of your rabbits.
- You can feed these to rabbits and other small animals like chinchillas, squirrel, guinea pigs, and other pets. It helps ensure the healthy growth of small pet teeth and lets them enjoy when they feel bored in their cage.
- Wild Harvest is focused on manufacturing and delivering products that encourage complete nutrition for small animals like rabbits and birds.
- Wild Harvest Advanced Nutrition Diet, designed for adult rabbits, promote nutrition in your pet required for maintaining and preserving their good health.
- It is a specially formulated product that makes it an enriched diet. It ensures that your adult rabbit receives essential vitamins, fiber, minerals, and fats required for their healthy and robust body.
- The new Fruit Amp Formula helps promote even more health and nutrition in your rabbit’s body. Packed with antioxidant nutrients, Fruit Amp supplies adult rabbits with a high amount of nutrition that helps maintain their overall good health.
- Fiber is very important for the overall wellbeing of rabbits because it helps maintain healthy digestive tracts.
- This Wild Harvest product packs timothy hay that makes it rich in fiber and promotes healthy digestion in your small pet rabbit.
- Brown’s Tropical Carnival Gourmet pet rabbit food incorporates palatability in its production.
- This food product adheres to the highest quality and safety standards. It packs high-fiber Timothy and Alfalfa Hay pellets, making it a vitamin-nutrient-fortified treat packed in one pack. This premium gourmet food is formulated to accommodate the daily dietary needs of rabbits.
- It is beneficial for good digestion.
- The perfect sized bites of vegetables, grains and fruits, and nutrient-rich biscuits make an irresistible treat for your rabbits.
- Chunky pieces of apricots, date, pineapples, cantaloupe, and more fruits make it packed with antioxidants and vitamins while making it taste great. Crunchy peanuts, cashews, almonds, and walnuts make this rabbit food a powerhouse of energy that encourages overall good health.
- Pasta wagon wheels, colorful pretzels, and other treats offer an awesome texture and flavor to the food.
- Launched 20 years ago, this popular rabbit food is loved by your pet and provides great opportunities to bond with your little animal.
- Sunseed Young Vita-Plus is packed with all essential nutrition encouraging the health of your little pet. This rabbit food consists of dried fruits mixed with vegetables, and Timothy Hay pellets making is rich in fiber.
- It doesn’t contain Alfalfa, which in large amounts, is not healthy for rabbits.
- Sunseed rabbit food is a great combination for young rabbits and is less expensive as compared to many other brands. So if you are looking for the best rabbit food at an affordable price, you can confidently buy Sunseed rabbit young vita-plus for your pet.
- This product is specially formulated to provide a balanced and nutrition-rich diet to your young and active rabbits. It is also a great product for breeding and lactating.
- Its high fiber formula is good for proper growth and supports digestive health and overall wellbeing. Packed with vital vitamins, this food also contains fatty acids for coat and skin conditioning. Spirulina antioxidant supports the immune system of the rabbit.
- Vitakraft Slims with carrot is an awesome treat for your rabbit because of its tasty special formula. This formula makes this pack rich in essential nutrition for your rabbit.
- It keeps their tech strong and in good shape with ingredients that are harmless for your rabbit.
- Vitakraft slims with carrot satisfies the natural chewing desire of your rabbit by serving as an easy-to-digest nibbling treat. This product is a pack of four packets and is made using harvest fresh grains and carrot.
- Vitakraft Slims with carrot is a great product for formulated by the company for promoting the overall health wellbeing of your small rabbit.
- Your rabbit will absolutely love this treat. These are crunchy enough to keep your rabbit’s teeth in a healthy condition.
- It is made using gluten-free and healthy ingredients that are good for your pet. Moreover, this food is not a snack, so that they won’t make your bunny fat.
- This premier fortified gourmet food for rabbits is packed with natural goodies.
- The premium quality of the food is highly impressive. It contains a great quantity of selected natural treats.
- Higgins Sunburst gourmet food mix for rabbits contains oats, alfalfa pellets, barley, wheat, safflower, shelled peanuts, flaked carrots, and flaked peas.
- This food also contains flakes, corns, bananas, raisins, papaya, pineapple, and more ingredients, all of the very high quality.
- Your bunny will definitely love this food. They have a shiny coat and are healthy for rabbits. The food does not contain artificial colors and preservatives, making this product a safe choice for your bunny.
- It is enriched with DHA, has digestive and healthy omega fatty acids.
- The fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, legumes, and much more contained in this product make together a great diet product for your little pet.
- Are you looking for the best rabbit food manufactured by the world’s renowned breeder of Holland lop bunnies? Buy Hollywood rabbit food!
- This food is specially and carefully produced bunny pellets. It contains all essential vitamins, nutrition, and minerals that your rabbit needs for good health and overall wellbeing.
- This food product for rabbits contains Omega 3, vitamins, flaxseed oil, and Manna that gives your pet strong-bones and a shiny as well as healthier coat.
- These vitamins existing in this food are as per the daily recommendation for your rabbits.
- The omega fatty acids in this food help with the bunny’s digestive system.
- Beneficial bacteria found in this product helps with stimulating the best digestion procedure for your rabbit.
- The sleek bunny food is manufactured with a special, advanced formula that makes it pack balanced nutrition.
- The oxygen-filled packaging ensures enzymes rich grains and seeds that maximize the food’s nutritional potential.
- This product makes a classic food that contains grain concentrates, fiber, protein-rich plants that provide carbohydrates.
- It also contains a balanced mix of all amino acids that are essential for the overall wellbeing and health of your rabbit.
- The best part is this feed is free from sulfates, artificial colors, preservatives, and other harmful chemicals. Instead, it is rich in all-natural ingredients mixed with first-grade vegetables and fruits. Make sure you buy this rabbit’s food in small quantity and store in freezer-safe bags. Freeze the food if you buy this in bulk.
- Many top veterinarians recommend the KMS hayloft rabbit foods to address the stone problems in small animals, including rabbits.
- If you want to buy the best rabbit food that has a shelf life of more than 200 days with food’s freshness, this rabbit food is the best pick.
- KMS hayloft rabbit food is made with natural nutrients. It contains fewer fillers, and this food provides the right balance of healthy ingredients.
- That’s why this food fulfills the natural nutrient needs of your pet rabbits.
- This food product doesn’t contain BHT, BHA, ethoxyquin, or corn. Instead, it is made from wholesome ingredients that make it a rich and perfectly balanced diet for your bunnies.
- The best part is KMS offers a 60 days return offer on all its products. So buy it with confidence.
- The coyote creek boasts a credibility certification with a high-quality organic food certificate. It contains organic pellets formulated to match the nutritional and mineral needs of your little bunny.
- The best master chef formulates coyote creek.
- It encourages ideal health, optimal growth, and a strong immune system of your rabbit.
- This food is non-GMO project verified. It contains complete and balanced nutrients required by a wide range and various aged of rabbits. When you feed this food to your pet, you don’t have the food that is insect-infested or moldy.
- To avoid these issues, make sure you store these foods in a dry place. Ideally, you can feed your rabbits at once ounce per pound of the total weight of their bodies.
- Mupianlx is one of the most popular brands that are known for selling high-quality rabbit food products.
- Mupianlx sweet bamboo chew food is formulated with 100 natural and sweet bamboos. It provides rabbits with fun chewing activities that improved the growth of their teeth.
- In addition to serving as a food, this also serves as a toy for your rabbits.
- It keeps your pet indulged in fun and keeps them busy, especially when they are in the cage. Unlike branches of food, these bamboo chew and food toys taste sweet to your pets.
- They gnaw the rabbit’s skin but never bite the core.
- You can even run water over Mupianlx sweet bamboo sticks to make them chewier for your rabbits.
- Hagen rabbit food is a pelleted food suitable for all breeds and stages of the rabbit’s life cycle. It contains all nutrients that are essential for lactating, breeding, and growth of your pets.
- This pelleted food is formulated using bite-sized morsels. It makes it great for chewing by any kind and size of a rabbit.
- Hagen rabbit food is available in re-sealable zipper bags.
- It helps to keep this pelleted food fresh and consumable for a long period of time. When you feed rabbits this food, make sure you use dried hay product, such as Hagen alfalfa, to add a small number of greens.
So now you have the list of all the best foods for rabbits. It is important to do your research and check which product suits your pet the best to make an informed buying decision. Not all products are good for rabbits of all kinds and ages. So proper research is important.
Index Table: Top rated Rabbit Foods
Table of Contents
- What to Consider When Buying Best Rabbit Food
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Reviews: Best Foods for Rabbits
- eCOTRITION® Essential Blend Food for Adult Rabbits Food for Your Rabbit
- Kaytee® Timothy Biscuits Baked Treat Snack Food For Rabbits
- Sherwood® Pet Health Digestive Support Rabbit Food
- Simona® Micah Organic Apple Sticks Food For Rabbits
- Wild Harvest® Wh-83544 Advanced Nutrition Diet Food For Rabbits
- F.M Brown’s® Tropical Carnival Food for Your Rabbit
- Sunseed® Rabbit Young Vita-plus Rabbit Food
- Vitakraft® XXXXXXXX Food for Your Rabbit
- Higgins® Sunburst Gourmet Rabbit Food Mix Food For Rabbits
- Hollywood® Rabbit Feed Food For Rabbits
- Sleek AndSassy Garden® Rabbit Food Food For Rabbits
- KMS® Hayloft Rabbit Food Rabbit Food
- Coyote Creek® Certified Organic Feed Rabbit Food
- MUPIANLX® Sweet Bamboo Chew Toys and Food Snack Food For Rabbits
- Hagen® Rabbit Pellet Food for Your Rabbit
- Index Table: Top rated Rabbit Foods