Whether you are a rural homesteader or a city dweller, the environment outside is not always the safest thing for a pet.
And that is so true when it comes to our pet rabbits. A soft, fluffy, and adorable rabbit is arguably no match for predators in the animal and natural world.
Since they are so skittish and so small, they are easy prey for various hunters. So don’t let them go out alone. And if you go with them, you will need the best rabbit harness.
Why Do You Need the Best Harness For Your Rabbit?
They also need fresh air, warm breezes, and reassurance. That is why you need a rabbit harness or leash.
However, finding the best rabbit harness might be very difficult. It would be best if you considered a lot of factors. It would be best if you found something comfortable for your rabbit, but more importantly, you should find something that is safe.
In this article, we will review some of the best rabbit harnesses available on the market and provide you a buyer’s guide and more important information.
What Type Of Harness Is Best For A Rabbit?
Are you wondering what type of harness is most suitable for your rabbit? Well, when we are to talk about rabbit harness, there are actually two popular types available. These are the Vest harness and the H-harness.
Nevertheless, which one to choose is actually the major question that you should answer. Let’s discuss the two types of rabbit harnesses, so you can get an idea of which one you should choose for your rabbit.
- Vest Harness – Vest harnesses are designed specifically for small animals, like rabbits. Normally, these wrap around the body of the pet so nicely. Therefore, it helps in preventing them from escaping that effortlessly. Usually, a vest harness fastens around with a Velcro found around the neck and waist area. Even though some other mechanisms might help you seal the jacket, it is so important to ensure that these mechanisms are really secure enough.
- H-Harness – The H-Harness is perhaps the most renowned choice for rabbit owners. Furthermore, you might find it available in local stores and different online shops. As its name implies, the H-harness looks like a sideward H, laid on a table. These kinds of harness actually come with 2 buckles –one located all over the neck region and one more on the waist. The buckles are essential in adjusting the harness according to the size of the pet’s body. This harness benefit is that it applies pressure on the waist region and not on the neck.
- Shoulder Harness – If you don’t want your rabbit to wear the aforementioned types of harnesses, you may want to try this. The shoulder harness is great for rabbits who are reluctant to loops and straps naturally. Basically, it appears to be a bit like a horse harness that has connecting straps athwart the chest front. This eliminates the pressure from the neck and shifts it to the shoulders where the leash is attached.
How To Find The Best Rabbit Harness?
Considering whether a certain harness may fit your rabbit is somewhat difficult, especially for the fluffy breeds. One general rule –the best rabbit harness should have the capacity to fit in one or two fingers between the waist of the rabbit and the collar. Also, this allows you to know whether it’s too loose or too tight.
If you find it confusing to fit a harness for your pet rabbit or you think it’d be too loose or tight, it’s better not to purchase it at all. Choosing the wrong harness may put your pet in danger. It’ll always be a great idea that you seek professional advice, as a vet, in terms of the fittings.
Moreover, it’s always recommendable that you purchase a leash that’s made from elastic materials. This kind of leash will surely prevent your rabbit from choking on the lead while you try to pull at it.
Additionally, one more important that you should bear in mind is to avoid buying a neck collar. Rabbits tend to get injured quite easily when wearing such. This may especially happen when your rabbit gets shocked while wearing them. It may easily lead to breaking their bones around their neck area –or what they call strangulation.
Important Factors To Consider In Buying Rabbit Harness
There sure are lots of good rabbits harnesses available on the market, yet some aren’t that good. For you to differentiate between the two, you will need to consider some important factors.
These are what we’re going to discuss in the following section;
- Size – The harness’s size is critical when you are choosing the best harness for your rabbit. It should not be very tight that it already restricts their movements. A nice harness must offer a full array of motions while still giving control in keeping them out of harm; after all, the main point of having a rabbit harness is to minimize the possible injury that your rabbit may suffer from.
- Ease of Use – The durability of the rabbit harness is so important. It’s pointless if a harness or leash allows your rabbit to jump out with no sweat at all. This doesn’t just mean that it isn’t effective, yet it might also mean that it may put your furry baby in danger. If the harness isn’t durable, you will need to have it replaced sooner than you’d have liked.
- Flexibility – This actually means that the rabbit harness you should purchase is adjustable and will fit the right size of your rabbit, instead of being so rigid. Not only that, but you should also look for a harness that has the capacity to stretch. This will give your rabbit the control in reining them in if you wish to. This is very important in preventing your rabbit from getting into a possibly hazardous situation. Ultimately, rabbits are a small pet and natural prey of larger animals, just like dogs.
- Comfort – Rabbits may scare and startle easy, and their comfort is very important if they’re wearing a leash. Hence, you should make sure that the harness is made from high-quality material, which makes comfort a priority. It mustn’t pinch or grip at the rabbits’ body; instead, it forms to their natural shape in a way that makes them feel very comfortable and free from anxiety. It would be best if you lookout for something that has soft padding, which fits around the neck and stomach area. Bear in mind; you should get the adjustments and size right. It must fit snugly without causing any restriction to the rabbit’s movement, and it mustn’t make them feel limited in any way.
Benefits Of A Rabbit Harness
Why would you take your rabbit out on a harness in the first place? There are actually several major benefits that we want to discuss with you regarding the benefits of having a rabbit harness. They are as follows:
- To Keep Them Safe – If you take your rabbit outside with a harness, it’s more likely that they’re going to run to dangerous places. If you have them harnessed, you will have control over where they go. You will also know if they will be put into danger or not.
- Explore New Places – You would not like it that much when you’re kept indoors for a long while. However, with a rabbit harness, you and your rabbit can explore new places together. When you do, of course, you’ll need to make sure that there’s nothing that’s potentially going to put your pet into harm.
Tips For Walking Your Rabbit With Rabbit Harness
Although some rabbits feel so fine with wearing a rabbit harness, others might not be that receptive. You need a lot of patience, yet if you have a rabbit that does not enjoy such practice, you should not force them to do so.
- Step 1 – Before you get to walk them with a harness, you should have established a close relationship with your rabbit. You might be able to do this when you spend some time together, playing games and some bonding activities.
- Step 2 – Before you even put a harness on your rabbit, you must allow the rabbit to get used to it. It would be best if you let your rabbit have a sniff of it first. After you can now try to put the harness on, you shouldn’t fasten up the buckles yet.
- Step 3 – You might do this as the days go by. If your rabbit keeps on having a struggle, it might not be right for them. In case your rabbit doesn’t resist, you may then try to do the buckles up. Sooner or later, they will ignore the harness and keep on hopping and running around as they want to. Further, you might also attach the leash and try redirecting them gently occasionally.
- Step 4 – The last step will involve going outdoors and allowing your bunny to run around. Nevertheless, you must always have their own safety at the vanguard of your mind. You should avoid permitting them to go into bushes, trees, or anywhere their leash might get trapped, and they’ll feel distressed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is a rabbit harness and leash safe?
A: A rabbit harness and leash is safe for your rabbit. Nevertheless, it would be best if you took some precautions in using them. You should make sure that your outdoor environment or surrounding is safe for your pet.
If you plan to take them to a field, you must be wary of anything that’s going on. Your rabbits’ safety should always be your number one priority.
Q: How do I train my rabbit to walk with a harness?
A: Bear in mind that a rabbit harness is one great way of letting your pet enjoy the outside world with proper supervision. Nevertheless, you’ll need them to get accustomed to it. Putting a harness or leash on your rabbit is way different than putting one on dogs.
Ensure that you let your rabbit get used to it first before you decide and take them outside. One good rule of thumb is to take them in and out of the house for at least 3 days. It would be best if you did everything as gently as possible. You shouldn’t tug the harness too forcefully, as this might just upset your rabbit.
Q: How do I measure my rabbit for a harness?
A: Measuring your rabbit’s size is very important to ensure that the harness you will choose is the right one and will not slip off very easily. You will need a tape measure to take the right measurement of your rabbit.
Your rabbit must be in a sitting position during the measuring instead of lying on the ground. After, you’ll need to measure the belly area circumference, as well as the neck area.
Remember, you must place 1 or 2 fingers in between the neck and the waist straps. If the harness is loose, your rabbit might slip off effortlessly. Nonetheless, if it is too tight, it might scare or harm your rabbit.
Reviews: Best Rabbit Harness
The list of products below came from Amazon.com. Read each rabbit harness’ review to know which one is suitable for your rabbit.
- This soft rabbit harness is considered to be the best among the best. It is adjustable to help in ensuring their whole comfort.
- The large size makes it suitable even for bigger pets, yet there are some other sizes available.
- Its material is padded to make sure the rabbits’ comfort is also made of mesh.
- That having said, it helps in staying nice while being breathable.
- With regards to its leash, it’s elastic, thus allowing your rabbit to hop freely, yet still provides you the control in reigning them in when you want to.
- Nevertheless, make sure to measure the size of your rabbit properly before you buy one. This is for you to avoid any disappointments.
- This is one of the best small pet harness and leash set. It is highly adjustable and may easily and securely fit around your rabbit’s waist area with the help of the fuzzy clip together with a hook mechanism found on the neck.
- What’s more, it has a small bell, which may alert you if your little pet is out of sight and assist you in finding the animal so easily.
- Its leash is also lightweight and durable, allowing your pet to move freely.
- If you are looking for a rabbit harness that provides great comfortability, then this is what you should opt for.
- Aside from that, BUBM Adjustable Rabbit Harness is also very breathable. It’s always there to ensure that your rabbit is comfortable.
- As its name implies, it may be easily adjustable at the chest and neck area.
- What’s more, if you want your rabbit to have this harness for a long period of time, the extra padding may ensure great comfort.
- Are you looking for a rabbit harness that doesn’t slip out of your bunny? Well, look for no more; this is the one that you should try out.
- At the neck of your rabbit, there’s an extra guarantee of security that isn’t undone easily.
- If you attempt and go somewhere, it did not attempt; it’ll stretch.
- Furthermore, it’s been developed and designed so that it’ll always offer your rabbit the ideal comfy experience that it deserves.
- Although you have the full freedom to modify at the neck with this rabbit harness, the neck circumference is approximately 18 centimeters.
- Furthermore, its elastic mesh is also believed to reduce any discomfort, which is caused by pulling. This doesn’t just improve the relationship between you and your pet, but you will also enjoy walking with it.
- If you are looking for the best rabbit harness that is well—suited for small breeds or rabbit, then this is what you need.
- ASOCEA Adjustable Soft Harness is designed mainly for small breeds of bunnies.
- Your rabbit will not ever lack the real comfort experience. It’s well designed with an excellent quality hard-wearing mesh.
- Commonly, the soft padding that it has is for comfortable wear and smaller animals, like ferrets and cats.
- The chest circumference of this rabbit harness is highly adjustable.
- This is even though you will need to measure your rabbit’s size before you even buy one.
- When it’s developed and designed, the designer guaranteed that with it, your rabbit would feel comfortable.
- In this case, it comes with padding. You will receive two sets that will surely be perfect to have if you have several rabbits when you order now.
- This astoundingly high-quality harness for rabbits is actually made of cotton fabric materials. Furthermore, it also vaunts extra durability and comfort, making it a perfect choice to live in a country with four seasons.
- What’s more, it also has secure buckles, which easily lets you get rid of the harness. Do not worry if yours is of smaller rabbit breeds; you can still use it, as it comes in different sizes.
- This rabbit harness has a well-made design and high-quality, hard-wearing mesh, which surely provides your rabbit with a perfectly comfortable experience.
- Furthermore, its soft texture is also perfect for both winter and summer seasons.
- What you should make sure of, however, is that it’s breathable all year long.
- This product comes with a soft harness, which covers the whole belly area.
- This will surely make the rabbit enjoy lots and lots of exercise.
- As its name implies, it is a soft harness that is completely elastic.
- Aside from it is made of completely breathable nylon and mesh material, it has astounding flexibility. Furthermore, it also has an additional snap buckle, which ensures that the rabbit is safely held.
- Some of its latest designs are also easily adjustable all over the chest area.
- This means that it’s been stress-free to wear because of its Velcro.
- Moreover, it’s also been particularly designed for smaller rabbits breeds approximately 4 lbs. It will surely give you complete freedom in taking your rabbit outdoor and enjoy an unobtrusive backyard.
- This is one of the most affordable rabbit harnesses available in the market. If you want to take your rabbit out for a quick walk, this one’s a great choice as a rabbit harness.
- We like it the most because it has a wide variety of colors, and you may choose two items of different colors from their set.
- Nevertheless, it would be best to consider the mere fact that it is made for smaller breeds of rabbits. Specifically, it is suitable for rabbits between 3 and 6 pounds.
- Aside from it provides great comfort to your rabbit, it is also safe and easy to use.
- However, make sure that your rabbit really likes to be strapped upright before using the harness.
- If you want to take your rabbit out for a walk, this is a great alternative.
- This is a very reliable choice for various pet owners. Its freedom of movement and quality is what people love about it.
- Aside from these, it is also safe to use, and its Velcro closure can provide a more fitted design.
- Nevertheless, ensure that you have measured your rabbit’s size closely before you even order the product since this is primarily suitable for pets up to 4lbs.
- If your rabbit is of the big breed, we suggest that you look for a more reliable alternative –this one’s not going to work for your large rabbit.
How long will you let your rabbit get exposed to extreme hazards?
Are you unhappy with your low-quality rabbit harness, which doesn’t even guarantee your ideal rabbit comfort?
Certainly, with the aforementioned products, you’ll look much more ordered. Make them your must-have needs in terms of keeping your rabbits safe.
If you do that, you‘ll surely never regret it.
Happy rabbit walking!
Index Table: Top Rated Rabbit Harnesses
Table of Contents
- Why Do You Need the Best Harness For Your Rabbit?
- What Type Of Harness Is Best For A Rabbit?
- How To Find The Best Rabbit Harness?
- Important Factors To Consider In Buying Rabbit Harness
- Benefits Of A Rabbit Harness
- Tips For Walking Your Rabbit With Rabbit Harness
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Reviews: Best Rabbit Harness
- Niteangel® Adjustable Soft Harness Rabbit’s Harness
- Living World® Bunny Harness Harness for Rabbits
- BUBM® Adjustable Rabbit Harness With Elastic Leash Rabbit Harness
- Mewtogo® Adjustable and Breathable Bunny Harness Harness for Rabbits
- ATAILOVE® Adjustable Harness for Rabbits
- ASOCEA® Adjustable Soft Harness Rabbit’s Harness
- EXPAWLORER® Rabbit Rabbit Harness
- Stock Show® Bunny Vest Rabbit’s Harness
- Urijk® Pet Rabbit Harness for Rabbits
- Trixie® Pet Soft Harness Harness for Rabbits
- Calunce® Soft Rabbit Harness With Leash Harness for Rabbits
- Ueetek® Soft Harness Harness for Rabbits
- Index Table: Top Rated Rabbit Harnesses