Homemade diets for rats are easy to prepare, but they sometimes lack the supplements necessary for a rat diet. They are a good alternative to store-bought rat foods when the correct recipes are followed.
Without adding any fresh supplements to a rat diet, it may lead to nutritionally imbalanced meals. No one wants to harm a pet rat, though.
The best rat food in the market is made specifically for pet rats. Commercial-made rat foods consider recipes good for rats and provide a more balanced meal for the pet.
For you to grow pet rats more healthily and actively, choose between our top rat food products below. Read on for more details!
Best Rat Food in 2020: A Buyer’s Guide
Now that you know some of the best rat diets choosing the right product may still be difficult for first-time buyers.
Sometimes rat pets are sensitive to the food they eat.
And to avoid any health issues, you should consider the following factor before making a purchase:
- Brand – Cheap brands more often used cheap ingredients in producing rat diets. Rats demand the same nutritious diet as for other home pets. Not all rat foods offer the same level of nutrition that the pet needs. You better pay extra for a reputable rat food brand to ensure a quality diet for the pet.
- Packaging – Most rat diets are in a bulk purchase. There are smaller packs to test whether the diet will work on your pet or not. Ensure the product is well-packed for storage purposes. Common issues on rat food purchases are on the packaging of the product, so make sure the food pack is secure until delivered.
- Rat’s Age – This omnivore creature requires various levels of nutritional diet according to their age. They enjoy a wide range of diets, especially those lab-grade dry food meals. Young rats desire a diet with more calories, while a low-fat diet is advisable for older rats. Make sure to pick the right diet for rat’s age to provide its needed vitamins and minerals.
- Diet Type – Rat foods come in pellet or block type, as diet makers avoid selective feeding. Some rats are fussy to homemade foods; thus, pellet rat diets are the best alternative. Crunchy meals are good for rats to keep their teeth in shape as well as safe rat toys they can chew on. It also helps to alter their boredom feeling. So, a combination of pellets and crunchy-textured diets could be the best choice.
- Flavor – Dietsin crisp texture are not enough to satisfy rats. Their taste bud is in a wide range from salty, sweet, sour, and bitter taste. It would be difficult to know whether or not rats will like the taste of the food we provide for them. Research before buying a bulk of rat foods. Giving them small quantities might help to identify their taste.
- Scent – Aside from rats being sensible to a diet’s flavor, rats also have a high sense of smell. Bearing in mind the rat food scent will make a difference in the pet’s appetite. Pick the food product that will appeal to your pet.
- Nutritional Value – The last factor to consider but not the least is the nutritional value of the rat food. Always check the label to make sure the diet meets all the nutrients your pet rat needs. Avoid food diets that are high in sugar and carbohydrates. Those diets might cause obesity, which could lead to death. Look for a rat diet that contains natural preservatives.
Reviews: The Best Rat Foods
We searched for the best foods for rats online and ended up with our top 15 picks. Compare the products by quality, price, and nutritional value that will suit your pet’s needs.
- Give your pet rat a challenging chew with this first rat food on the list. It encourages rats for chewing activity. He will enjoy eating these crunchy nuggets big time. This is advisable for small growing pets on which each piece support rat dental health by chewing naturally. Its larger size makes every bite more enjoyable
- Forti-Diet contains wholesome ingredients to greatly benefit the rat’s overall health. It is preserved without any chemicals, and artificial colors added. The diet is rich in antioxidants and antibiotics, which are good for digestive health.
- It also promotes eye, heart, and brain health, as well as blocks joint problems over rats. The added ingredients, such as DHA and omega-3 fatty acids, help to achieve better results. It is indeed nutritionally balanced and safe for rats.
- All rat ages can safely consume the food product. It has a nice flavor. Male rats would not love the citric acid added on their ingredients.
- Why not give the pet an assorted meal for a change? This one has an assortment of seeds, fruits, vegetables, and nuts for finicky eaters to enjoy. Its premium mix offers excitement for rats to eat their meal.
- It is intended for rats in all stages, including pregnant and harboring rats. You can, therefore, buy a single diet throughout the life of your pet rat. It can be a meal and a treat at one purchase, which is good for a tight budget.
- Beneficial bacteria are added to support good digestion for your pet. The immune system will also be strengthened by the added omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Some of its ingredients are farm-fresh veggies mixed with fruits and grains.
- The formula is vitamin-fortified with natural preservatives. It provides enticing flavor on rats due to the ingredient blends.
- It is available in three varieties, such as gourmet food, natural gourmet food, and natural foraging hay. All made by the same company.
- If you are in the care of an adult rat, this rat food option could be your best choice. It is a vet-recommended food product only for older rats. Pregnant and nursing rats are not advisable for this diet for some reason. Better consult your pet’s vet before anything else.
- It is a non-GMO formula and only contains natural ingredients like a variety of vegetables, such as carrots, tomatoes, bananas, and many more. No preservatives and artificial colors added. Refined sugar ingredient is also dangerous for small pets, and so it is not included too.
- Adult rat food is in the form of pellets to discourage selective feeding, which could lead to health issues. It contains good bacteria to ensure the rat’s health. Antioxidants work well in the overall health of the pet.
- This promotes a uniform and balanced diet in every bite. It is recommended for daily feeding with the appropriate amount.
- Younger rats demand a higher level of nutritional diet to support their overall growth. A good diet with a high level of carbohydrates and protein must be provided for young rats. Oxbow Animal Health has to offer food essential for smaller rats.
- Essential Young Rat Food is also rich in vitamins C, D, and E, as well as calcium that strengthens the rat’s immune system. They are not prone to any kind of disease with this proper diet.
- The pellets are easy to digest and prevent selective feeding with their uniform size. It also contains dietary fiber for healthy digestion. This diet is similar to a kitten’s natural diet with balanced nutrition.
- Its enhanced formula does benefit not only young rats but also the lactating and pregnant rats. It helps the pregnant rat to provide many nutrients to growing babies in its tummy. However, the diet is not highly recommendable to adult rats.
- Mazuri is a popular brand in the pet food world. You might try it with your pet rats as well as mice. It minimizes waste on the rat cage, so lessens the time of cleaning every after feeding. It will be cheaper when you choose to buy it in bulk.
- Mazuri Rat and Mouse Food is a complete nutritious diet for rats even without adding any supplement in every meal. It can go alone with its vegetable-based formula. This particular diet can provide everything your rat needs in a meal. It also holds vitamin E to protect rats from skin infections when exposed to sunlight.
- They are easy to feed on rats in all life stages. Your four-legged friend can easily digest the pellet diet with the less produced waste.
- There is an added ingredient called yucca shidigera extract, which reduces ammonia that produces a bad odor in cages.
- Kaytee never fails to produce a high-quality diet for small pets and later comes up with a mouse and rat food. Like the other Kaytee food product above, Fiesta Rat Food is naturally preserved. It is made for a daily feeding routine to support the general health of your pet rat.
- It encourages chewing activity towards rats through its crunchy texture. The formula has prebiotics and probiotics to care for the pet’s digestive health. Their immune system is also firming in every meal, as it contains natural antioxidants.
- The mouse and rat food has added fruits and veggies to be more delicious and appealing during feeding. 3 to 4 tablespoons are advisable in feeding rats. It is packed in a resealable bag which is to be stored in a cool and dry place. It will last for up to 45-days.
- You may purchase a smaller pack to test whether it works or not on your pet rat.
- It takes over eight months to finally produce the Envigo rat food pellets. All of the rat’s nutritional needs are surely fulfilled throughout those months. They are known as the best rat diet in the market by most rodent keepers around the globe.
- It is a vegan diet with 14% protein. Soybean meal is used instead of meat products to reach the needed protein by rats. The pellets are nutritionally balanced due to the consistent ingredients added.
- The absence of a meat protein reduces the existence of a potential carcinogen. Its main ingredients exist in lab animal diets and so worthy of investing in.
- Most pet owners agree that this rat diet works resulting in healthier rodents. Many are switching diets to Envigo food pellets.
- It is repacked from 2-pounds up to 33-pounds to suit every buyer’s demand. No expiration date has been written on the product, as it promotes long life.
- Among the best rat foods is a pellet-based food diet made by Supreme Petfood. Its price is not the cheapest as the other rat foods on the review list. Science Selective Rat Food is highly recommendable by most rat keepers.
- It offers high-quality performance in giving rats the complete nutrition they need. The best ingredients are added to form this solid option rat food. They include fruits, antioxidant properties, and vitamins to support the overall health of rats.
- It is low in cholesterol, which is necessary to prevent circulatory health issues. The ingredients used help to make rat’s skin and coat healthier than ever before. There is no added sugar in the formula.
- Feed your rats twice a day, morning and evening, to provide their daily nutritional needs. The food is dry and will not leave waste in a bowl.
- It keeps the pet’s teeth healthy and stronger to chew any diets. They will easily digest pellet food.
- This diet is intended for all life stages of rat pets. It lessens the cost of buying different diets to suit life stages. The price of the product can be afforded by most rat keepers around the globe.
- The pelleted formula is completely nutritious, even without adding some kind of vitamins or minerals. It can stand alone in sustaining the pet’s overall health. Its pellet form makes it easier to digest even by small rats.
- It is consists of vitamin E and flaxseed to benefit the rat’s skin and coat. The ammonia-reduction diet formula is vegetable-based that uses natural ingredients safe for rats and other small animals.
- It turns rat cages odorless by reducing the presence of ammonia through yucca shidigera extract. Your rodent pet will enjoy its ever-pleasing environment with this diet. Waste will be minimized as well due to the pellet’s firmness.
- The sassiest looking rat food on the list is this nutritional diet for small home pets. They are manufactured by a family-owned small animal food producer in 1983. It can be fed to small pets except for rabbits and guinea pigs for some reason.
- Sleek and Sassy Nutritional Diet has blended all-natural elements, including fruits and vegetables. These ingredients are all human grade and safe for rats. It comes with an excellent variety of ingredients that are good for rat’s health.
- The product is stored in an oxygen-filled packaging to sustain its nutritional value over time. Its packaging also increases the food product’s shelf life. It is composed of nutritious enzymes such as seeds and grain. Oxygen helps the live enzymes to stay active on every feeding.
- It also has multiple sources of nutrients, like vitamins, minerals, proteins, and amino acids. No sulfates are added, as well as artificial colors. The assortment of ingredients is very visible.
- Rats do need a high-protein diet to sustain their growth. Sunseed has made a rat diet formula that could provide high protein for the pet. The rat formula is made in the USA to ensure its quality performance upon rat’s health.
- It meets the nutritional needs of three small pets, including rats, mice, and gerbil. They are highly blended not just with pellets but also with grains, seeds, vegetables, and other nutrients.
- The formula is grain-based, with the most key essential nutrients for the said pets a while ago. It delivers a delicious taste on which most small pets loved.
- It supports tooth conditioning through its hard and crunchy pieces. It is not only high in protein but also with other vitamins, such as A, D, and E. The diet is also enriched with probiotics and omega 3s for better digestion.
- You can get two pounds of the diet formula at an affordable price.
- Another best diet for small pets is the Picky Blocks. They come in small-block forms that are still easy to digest. It is available in two small packs, perfect for a trial feeding. The unique diet is manufactured in the USA.
- It is an all-natural food diet for rats and other small pets. There are no additives or colors in their ingredients. It has a touch cookie taste on which most small pets adore. Its low glycemic load makes the formula taste as such. It is a 100% soy-free diet which is necessary for rats.
- Rodents can go with 1 to 1.5 blocks in a day. The said amount is very minimal compared to other diet’s measurement. It can be served along with fresh veggies and other nutritious foods good for rats.
- As your rats get older, you can add one block on its original meal to provide extra calories.
- Since hamsters are similar to rodents in terms of the food they eat, this option is counted in. It has a diverse blend of food nutrition for rats. The cost is very affordable that anyone can buy for their rats.
- It holds many vitamins such as A, C, D, and E for the good of rats. Those nutrients support the rat’s overall health and thus promote healthier wellbeing. In addition to that is the omega 3s for better digestion. It is also highly packed with fiber to deliver good health on rats.
- The hamster food can meet your rat’s health needs better than the other. Get two pounds of the food product that will result in many times of feeding.
- It is in a resealable bag to retain the freshness of the diet formula. Storing the formula is also at ease with that kind of packaging.
- This one is primarily intended for hamsters, but it can also work for rat pets. Its price is lesser than the other options above. Tasty Mix is nutritionally balanced with a very delicious taste that your tiny friends will love. No sugar is added and yet has the best taste.
- The mixed diet contains fruits and vegetables, as well as vitamins for healthier pets. Five kilograms per day are necessary to grow rats quickly. Other ingredients that make up this formula are protein, calcium, phosphorus, crude fiber, and many more.
- Its well-balanced mixture benefits the rodent big time. The natural wellbeing of the pet is greatly improved by feeding him this diet formula.
- Natural foraging is also allowed with this rat food formula. The pets can play into it without getting sticky in the end. Still, less waste will take place in the rat’s cage every after feeding.
- The product is kept in a well-designed packaging that adds value to the food product.
- This is a pound of rat diet you might try in the coming days. When it works for your pet, choose to buy bigger food packs. Other small pets can consume this meal formula due to its small size.
- It is a variety of food diet but comes in a monotonous form, particularly in a block form. The block formula requires added procedures to finally serve as a meal to rats. You may add peanut butter flavor to the formula. It can be stored in a refrigerator for two weeks because of the recommended procedures.
- Rodent blocks can be used as training food for rats due to their behavioral enrichment feature. It may help the pet to do better during training.
- It also exercises the pet’s teeth and jaws upon chewing the formula. It has balanced nutrition and is made in the USA for better quality.
As we conclude, rats are easier to feed compared to other home pets. Preparing a diet for rats is made easier by their omnivore character. You can catch rats stealing some food stocks if he has the chance.
With that habit, rats are close to become obese or to experience some other health issues. High-quality rat diets are necessary to control the feeding. These diets have balanced nutrition suitable for rats. We also consider the must-have factors in ranking our best picks of rat foods.
Do you have any recommendations for good quality rat food in the market? Let us know in the comment box below.
Index Table: Top rated Rat Foods
|1||Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro-Health Rat Food - Rat’s Food||Kaytee||98.5|
|2||F.M. Brown’s Tropical Carnival Gourmet Rat Food - Rat Food||F.M. Brown’s||98.2|
|3||Oxbow Fortified Nutrition Adult Rat Food - Food for Rats||Oxbow||97|
|4||Oxbow Animal Health Essentials Young Rat Food - Rat Food||Oxbow||97.5|
|5||Mazuri Coomplete - Rat Food||Mazuri||97.7|
|6||Kaytee Fiesta Mouse and Rat Food - Rat’s Food||Kaytee||97|
|7||Nesom Distributing Envigo Teklad Adult Rat Food - Food for Rats||Nesom||96.8|
|8||Supreme Petfood’s Science Selective Rat Food - Rat’s Food||Supreme Petfood’s||96|
|9||Mazuri Rodent Ammonia-Reduction Diet Formula - Rat Food||Mazuri||96|
|10||Sleek and Sassy Nutritional Diet - Rat Food||Sleek and Sassy||97.3|
|11||Sunseed Vita Prima Sunscription Rat Formula - Rat Food||Sunseed||96.8|
|12||Henry’s Healthy Pets Picky Blocks Rat Food - Food for Rats||Henry’s Healthy Pets||97|
|13||Vitakraft VitaSmart Hamster Food - Food for Rats||Vitakraft||96.8|
|14||Supreme Pet Foods XXXXXXXX - Rat Food||Supreme Pet Foods||97.7|
|15||Exotic Nutrition Nutritional Rodent Blocks Food - Rat’s Food||Exotic Nutrition||96.5|
Table of Contents
- Best Rat Food in 2020: A Buyer’s Guide
- Reviews: The Best Rat Foods
- Kaytee® Forti-Diet Pro-Health Rat Food Rat’s Food
- F.M. Brown’s® Tropical Carnival Gourmet Rat Food Rat Food
- Oxbow® Fortified Nutrition Adult Rat Food Food for Rats
- Oxbow® Animal Health Essentials Young Rat Food Rat Food
- Mazuri® Coomplete Rat Food
- Kaytee® Fiesta Mouse and Rat Food Rat’s Food
- Nesom® Distributing Envigo Teklad Adult Rat Food Food for Rats
- Supreme Petfood’s® Science Selective Rat Food Rat’s Food
- Mazuri® Rodent Ammonia-Reduction Diet Formula Rat Food
- Sleek and Sassy® Nutritional Diet Rat Food
- Sunseed® Vita Prima Sunscription Rat Formula Rat Food
- Henry’s Healthy Pets® Picky Blocks Rat Food Food for Rats
- Vitakraft® VitaSmart Hamster Food Food for Rats
- Supreme Pet Foods® XXXXXXXX Rat Food
- Exotic Nutrition® Nutritional Rodent Blocks Food Rat’s Food
- Final Words
- Index Table: Top rated Rat Foods